Replies

• Interesting to see that Kenny Edwards missed out on a try this year. He must have been close on a number of occasions.

• When you look at the metres run there is not a lot in it. When you consider that this stat is always one of the go to stats to determine how a team played. I have noticed this through the season and so not surprised at all. Clearly what is the vital stats are possession, errors, penalty differential and drop outs. Even possession if you get all of the others correct you will get the possession.

With the exception of Semi, Eels players did not figure too much in the good stats. I feel with a good off season and full year at the Eels that Mitchel Moses will come into his own. I thought Ash Taylor was a stand out for try assists.

The author made a big deal about how many players the GF teams used through the year. This is because each of them has so many SOO players.

• John the other aspect with end of years stats is whether it takes in just the main rounds separate to the finals play offs or includes the play offs, to me the play offs should not be counted in it.

Thing for me with the eels next year is that there has to be a big emphasis on discipline, something the coach said constantly through the season, trouble to me with that is he did not back the criticism up with his own discipline in sending the players who were the problem back to Wenty until they fixed it.

That may also give those permanently stuck in the 2nd grade some hope that if they play well enough they may get more a chance to get to the NRL team, way it is now the coach is too loyal, to those creating poor reads too often and causing penalties, dropped balls and the like at vital times. All are momentum killers.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Many of the teams are never hindered by the refs looking to the rules when awarding penalties especially the slowing of the play the ball on the line, some teams know that their opponents will not kick for the goal also they know they can continually get away with it and no one is sin binned, its happened twice only to my knowledge, Maloney in one game and the Storm player against us.  The eels are also very reluctant to take the 2 even when the penalty is a sitter, the horses are classics at that and why I believe their stats are better with the amount of wins, the extra 2 points help them no end.

Interesting the missed tackle stats, especially with King as one would have thought they would have been higher.

I don't want to get into the ref area as that area is an weird as the stats themselves and unexplainable, unless the bias factor comes in. To me there are at least 3 refs that should be shown the door for next year. AT THE VERY LEAST.

• I think that the biggest problem with the refs is that they use the whistle to mange the game rather than give penalties for rule breaches. This I believe is done to keep penalty counts down. Best way to keep penalty counts down is penalising the infringements. Players learn quickly what they can and cant get away with.

At the moment the worst part of the game is the ruck. If you want to see how better the game looks when the ruck is properly policed go back and look at some old games played before wrestling was allowed. Players refuse to get off the tackled player and when they do they "Crowd" hoping to force a knock on. The player crowding never gets pinged.

• Colin we have the worst penalty differential in the NRL. It is easy to blame the referees and they do have questions to answer but a big part of the problem is lack of discipline. We get a lot of penalties against us and not many in our favour. That needs to be addressed along with the other errors.

As far as giving Wenty players a chance. Didn't King and to a lesser extent Smith make the most of their opportunities in the NRL

• John, re King and Smith, I agree with you in getting their chance, thing is to me Smith got the first jump, IIRC as a bench interchange primarily for Kaysa, Kaysa got the jump on King early in the year with better performances, a big step up for him and until injured he was showing the improvements I always thought he had in him, meaning King had to bide his time, but with the loss of Kaysa he showed the quality to grab the mantle.

To me there was not many given the chance from Wenty even though for some time in the year they were doing ok, but later in the year fell away, with the players not getting a chance in the top squad and perhaps their efforts on show did not deserve the lift even to the bench,  yet longer term injured players such as Terepo, both Pritchard's all but went straight on to the bench after long term out, None of them showed they should have been chosen.

In saying that wenty players had nil game time at the end of their year but there would have been players in better match condition than the above mentioned 3, likewise why was Gower and Vave pulled off the bench in the last game, both played well the previous week and had match fitness, to me the biggest blooper of the year by the coach,

• This reply was deleted.
    • Tad, agree and you replied here while I was typing the underneath reply to John.

Lets not kid ourselves here and I avoided saying it, but much of the tactics we are talking about are part and parcel of a few of the teams under certain win at all costs mentality, they perfect new tactics at training in locations far from the prying eyes of the majority of teams and only once perfected do they introduce into the gameplay win at all and any cost, keep it up until someone is injured and the hierarchy put a stop to it, often when an opposition player is injured as a result.

• John, the refs are not there to manage the game but to control the game according to the rules and without bias towards one team or the other.  Penalise one team the same way as the other, be it the ruck or any other aspect of the game and without showing favour to either.

For me the so called "crowding" rule is a disgrace, has there been a change in the rules that says the defender must release the tackled player when tackle is called by the ref, the roll of the markers is just that, they mark the spot for the ball to be played and when you go back in years the marker had to allow the tackled player up to play the ball, from my memory the marker moved back to allow the play the ball. Today you see the marker get up and push the player playing the ball, that should be penalised but how many players when getting up to play the ball also lunge forward into the marker?

The normal rule as in the book in the play the ball should enforced and all teams made to abide by them, same as lying in the tackle and, twisting the tackled player and dragging him backwards. To me the element of ongoing tackles needs to be stopped, as the attacking player ends up being forced into a lot of danger unless the ref calls held early, and the defenders release him safely.

To me, I do not enjoy the way that the game is heading, the spear tackles, shoulder charges and other things have all but been stamped out, to be replaced by other methods equally as bad if not worse.

• Agree with all of that Col. It is hard because normally you do not hear the dialogue of the referee. With the gang tackle now they hold the player up and it appears that the referee calls held they then force the player to the ground. This stops the off load most times and slows the play down.

As you say when the referee can see that the player is held up the referee makes the call of held and the player should be released. For while the ref calls held the defenders continue to wrestle but the attacking player can't offload.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

adnan replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Was blaze that good? I think he is very raw and maybe needs another yr "
5 seconds ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I wonder if the have Lomax on Right and move Penisini to left. Penisini is a Centre that can adapt, where Lomax has the pass that has him needed on the right.
But I think Lomax would be happy as long as it is Centre in a good team."
17 minutes ago
Slugg replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I think the club  is doing the right thing not paying 600 k to  800k for a good first grade player that can boost our chances of winning comp when they can sign 3 or 4 players for the same money that may boost our chances of winning a reserve grade…"
24 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Parra just need to stick to there process and add when we need to.
Lomax has all the potential which to this time is unrealised and that's before talking about money.
Blaize Sanders Penisini AMS you really want to see if these guys are something and…"
30 minutes ago
More…