2014 predicted team finishes. Part 2

Here is the second part of my team predictions. You can find the first part here.

Storm – I think age is finally catching up with the Storm, but this team is still deadly. They’ll still thrash some teams on a dry Sunday field a few times next season. They should do well, but perhaps their inevitable downfall has already begun. Expected finish: top four and a chance at the title. Realistic finish: top four and should run deep into the finals.

Cowboys – The disappointment of 2013. This team should do well. They are full of rep players and are tough to beat at home. Yet now they have a rookie coach who is a bit of an unknown. This makes things hard to predict. The safe bet would be to say that they’ll put up a good fight for most of the season only to just fall short. Then again, they could surprise everyone and entrench themselves in the top eight. Expected finish: not sure. Should they be expected to go better than 2013, which means comfortably making the finals? I don’t think that’s fair, based largely on their rookie coach. Realistic finish: maybe hovering around 8th, but more likely to finish around 10th. But with the talent they have they could be the dark horse. I doubt it though.

Souths – So close yet so far for the Bunnies in 2013. Can they go one better? This team is tough and should have another great year. I will say, though, that Inglis is a bit injury prone which is rather concerning. Expected finish: top four, perhaps top two and a grand final appearance. Realistic finish: top four again for sure and a chance at the title.

Roosters – It’s rare that you see such dominance over a season like the Roosters were in 2013. They were pretty much untouchable, similar to how the Storm were in 2007. The Roosters pose a great chance of going back-to-back. Their plan for short-term success has certainly worked. Expected finish: top four and maybe minor premiers again. Realistic finish: top four and a good chance at the title.

Knights – Definitely a team on the improve, or at least they should be. The Knights are slowly being moulded into a Bennet coached side: strong defence and structured attack that is hugely dependent on his pet Darious Boyd. They are nearly impossible to beat at home. Expected finish: top eight no excuses, and maybe to challenge for the top four. Realistic finish: can’t see why they won’t make the finals, but we can already see that I’ve penned in a number of teams to make the finals, which means some are going to fail. I don’t think it will be the Knights though.

Warriors – The most unpredictable side ever. I wouldn’t be surprised where this team finishes, whether it’s first or last. The Warriors will probably look certainties to make the finals for much of the season, but could end up anywhere. Still not sure if Matt Elliot is the right coach for this team. Expected finish: with the injection of Sam Tomkins expectations will be for them to make the top eight. Realistic finish: I’m not even going to try. 4th-13th.

Tigers – Considered to be going through a bit of a transition period. We’ve seen firsthand that when that sort of terminology is used it means you can expect your team to do poorly. The Tigers will field perhaps the youngest team next year, which means remaining competitive will be difficult. To make things more difficult for themselves, they’ve decided to take some of their games to ANZ. I can’t see the tigers making the finals next season, and deserve to be considered candidates for the spoon. I think Robbie Farrah will be the only player who can save them from finishing last; if they lose him through injury they’re gone. Expected finish: the media was pretty brutal toward Mick Potter last season, so you can bet they’ll be less patient next year. They must improve or the media will skin this club alive. They might just get away with finishing 10th or 11th. Realistic finish: remaining competitive mentally will be the biggest challenge for this young squad, yet I fear they’ll lose touch toward the backend of many games which will make it extremely difficult for them to win. 14th-16th.

Eels – I might as well finish off with our team, yet it’s impossible to escape the obvious bias I have. It’s easy to entertain the idea that the Eels will click into gear and everything will fall their way as they march back into the finals. I don’t think so. I don’t think we’ll finish last again, but making the finals will be too far out of reach. The halves pairing is still unknown, and the forward pack, while improved, is still not strong enough to win us most games. I do think we’ll be strong out wide, however, and I also think that Peats will prove to be our most valuable recruit. Mental toughness will likely be our biggest issue, which could cost us a number of games. We also lack the necessary footy intelligence to win games. Brad Arthur? I would have chosen him over Taylor, but people should remember he was our defensive coach in 2012 and our defence that year was horrible. We shall see. Expected finish: what do you expect of a team that has finished last in two consecutive years? We won’t be expected to make the finals so quickly, but the media will apply the heat if it’s another bottom four finish for the fourth straight year. 10th will earn us a pass mark. Realistic finish: bottom four is not out of the question. For the Eels to avoid that you have to ask what other four teams are we better than? I can think of a few but ultimately we are dependent on the misfortune of others so we can climb the ladder. Potentially as high as 10th, maybe a little higher. Anything lower wouldn’t surprise much, but I’m happy to be wrong.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We will win the premiership next year. Bank on it.

• That's the spirit unicorns are made of...
  • We will squeeze into the top eight. ..
  • I'm saying 9th-11th...

• Hmmm - I think with the Eels you could have used the same analogy you did for the Warriors.

They could finish anywhere.

IF (you know those very big IFs I use?)

IF - BA is getting the support and rapport with the team we have been hearing about then expect the unexpected - top 8 comfortably.

IF - we get into the same pattern we have shown over the past 5 years then expect another spoon.

The ONLY genuine Dark Horse is the title the Eels should have for 2014.

Personally, I have no idea what to expect.

I mentioned in another blog that the benefit RLWC "should" have been for some of our NYC and fringe players - will Hayne bring back the form he showed? - will Seph Paulo go on with what he showed and develop into a genuine FG player - Radrada played well for Fiji, will he have a Hayne experience and come back firing? - Santi played for Italy? already many guys have big wraps on him.

Did I miss anyone else?

Parra are the true unknowns 2014 and I say anything less than giving the top 8 a bit of a shake can be classed as a FAIL.

Above 10th and we can say we had a decent year - comfortably in the 8 will be a successful year.

Unicorn vote - win the trophy LOL.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to LB's discussion Jamal Fogarty bicep injury, do we use Sanders as leverage?
"It would be a perfect trade for us, I would be so happy with that. Savage and Lomax in the same backline would be unreal. See what happens, hopefully a phone call to staurt has already been made"
2 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"I'm not too sure he's too slow for the wing if he's positionally smart. He's faster than Sivo that's for sure. My issue is he'd have to surrender the captaincy , and he's on a motza contract to be sitting on the wing. We are hamstrung with…"
5 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Because they'll give an opinion that's not always favourable . There's plenty of players in the NRL at other clubs that will get wraps on here . So if you're point is that opposition fans will always give a negitive opinion because they play for…"
10 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"It would put him as the greatest coach ever if he got a premiership. It would give him one last big challenge, but yeah we will see. Parra probably aren't even interested. 
French just signed 3 or 4 year I think overseas, he won't be back. He is…"
13 minutes ago
More…