2015  was the disaster year when the shit hit the fan, we lost points, million dollar fines, unloading of players for salary cap bungles.

It was said it will be years before Parra can catch up and adjust into being a competitive force.

Well it was addressed with the appoinment of Brad Arthur and  within the confines of the resources, nobody expected us to come out so quickly from those doldrums. 2018 was a hiccup and the coaching and resources were adequate up to that stage. This was probably the step back we had to have, but it also involved change and BA misread this change. Subsequent events shows these type of changes in rules and strategies were his achillies heal.

Subsequent success basically pinacled in 2021 when the window was supposedly open, but essentially we weren't good enough. The worst thing that happened was the miracle of 2022 and a grand final and the delusion of success. It was really that 22 season where we were starting to falter inclusive of the destabilisation of the Jake Arthur scenario. At this time we were all seeing what we are saying now, we saw the signs last year and this year is shaping as a disaster. Shit happens, no need to crucify anyone, which is the mentality of a lot on here. I am sure everyone was/is doing their best. Just not good enough.

Its time now to look at that in reflection and move on. I have never thought that we had a roster that would win us a competetion, I looked at the positives and was optimistic, the pros and cons were always subjective.

The club has faltered now and lets see and give it the chance to rebalance. Taking positive steps rather than fantasy games of selections, recruitment and wishing wells.

We have done too much blaming and handwringing. We have plenty of company amongst other clubs. Penrith are now on a slight decline and powerhouses like Roosters and Melbourne whilst still out there and threatening are not what they were. Broncos are the new kid on the block and they have/are coming off the back of a horror period. They should have won it last year and the talent they have is exceptional but that came from a period not that much different to ourselves. We are not the laughing stock we accuse ourselves of being, we are no different to any other team which gets beaton by 30/40 points.

It seems to me that the asylum of fans, especially 1EE's have got a lot of confusion confronting them and a huge problem in understanding this is a professional business and not a case of sitting in the corner, putting in your thumb and pulling out a "plumb"..

There is a huge drive by fans on this site to think that with a wish the board will sign Wayne Bennett as the saviour.

Mutts has outlined as much with what he would do. Everything is fine except we have no idea if Bennett would be interested?

Lets go back to Mutts programme, he finishes BA next week (good timing the bye week) and simultanously rings (the board that is) Bennett to confirm his interest, appoints Barrett to finish the season.. Lets assume Bennett has given some consideration in the "dry laconic style he has" but is not prepared to commit untill his season with Phins is finished, why would he stop mid season and plan anything that is not in his head already. He would need to meet the board, discuss the aspects and autonomy and then decide. He then would offer an informal commitment with an undertaking that if any leaks take place he is out!  Mutts wants to simulataneously advertsie for assistants, NO Bennett will get who he wants, he knows who he can work with. 

Finally someone can remind me that Bennett was all ready to coach a side (I think it may have been the Roosters) and it got leaked and he closed everything down. He doesn't like big mouths and god knows that this board to date can keep its mouth shut, a positive and a negative with regard to communication when I blogged specifically about this.

Now if Bennett does not want the job 50/50 for mine, you can all start speculating over the new coach for the hundredth time. There is no doubt we need to change but we have the essence of a good side, with the exception of "speed" a fully fit side with Lomax included, a decent hooker (Matt Arthur looks the goods) a classie utility player like a Connor Watson and a running forward like Angus Chricton. Maybe a winger like Toupu from Roosters (immediate experience and say two years off retirement) and a build up back load of recruiting speed and athleticism, Coryn has been talking about grabbing 7's players for ages.

We get rid of Sivo, Harper, and half a dozen of our reserve forwards and anyone else in reserve grade that is not capable of filling into first grade when required i.e. Hands and Lussick as pure back ups but the nucleus of a good 2nd Grade side, ..........last thing a dedicated sprint coach!!!!

The board also has look at functional issues like TPA's which will allow us to fill our roster with next level players in back up and also finding a board memeber with football experience, I said the other day Sterlo would be perfect or someone like Beau Scott and finally go make an offer to Matt Cameron too good to refuse to be our new head of football. It maybe impractical to sack BA and MON at the same time but MON is also to finish this year. Once some one like Cameron was appointed then he will look after Bennett's need's and be the link back to the board.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There's some good young backs starting to shine Hoe, one who had me enthralled was Trai Fuller whos a natural, had 8 tackle breaks last weekend and I imagine would also look sharp in the halves. Hes also stated, he's open to offers.

• A bit left field, and I know it's very unlikely, but I'd be looking at Billy Slater. Since he has retired, some of the way he speaks is really eye opening. 
    E

• Yes, I think you would get total agreement there. Don't want to appear negative but he seems well entrenched on his horse property and it would take a lot of vision to bring him to Sydney, not withstanding some very nice horse properties on the Hawkesbury/Windsor area. If we had that Benovolent Dictator I have always been looking out for, I'm sure we could come up with a very imposing offer.

I just realised that you could be Mr Ed, which would bring a whole new level of intelligence to this site in General, just don't call me Wilbur! Lol

watch this trailor it will make you laugh!

• Mate, Slater's work in the media allows him to do whatever and whenever he wants, coaching QLD and still living in Melbourne.
      Why would he want to coach the Eels????  

I realise this has been suggested a number of times but let's get real. Slater ain't the answer

• If Bennett wants to prove himself as the best coach to ever coach in the NRL, then winning a premiership with Parra will elevate him above everyone. No coach has managed to do that in 40 years 

• Yes EGO can be a great driver, always thought that big Jack was motivated by that same principle, comes back to whether  Bennett can see that given a few tweaks, he can make Parra a winner "again" 40 years later. It would be the final testament to "greatness" .......well said CP

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Slippery When Wet's discussion Bennett
"Exactly , I hate the Roosters , but I respect their business methods .  They have respect for their club and woudnt accept reject plodders like Oneill representing them at the boardroom table. 
 "
35 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to swiftedtayla's discussion rape allegation
"Queensland media outlet claiming he's an Origin player , another outlet saying it's a Dolphins player . All alleged of course. Let's hope another player isn't going to have his career destroyed by a fake allegation. And if it's true the NRL wipe him…"
51 minutes ago
BringBackSemi replied to swiftedtayla's discussion rape allegation
"He's already that far up himself it wouldn't be a revelation would it?"
1 hour ago
BringBackSemi replied to Cʜɪᴇғ - 😘's discussion Fifita back flipped on the Roosters 🐓 lol
"We are all human. Sometimes we do shit that is done solely on emotion and it's not until you actually have to put pen to paper that the reality hits you. You then start weighing everything else, where before it was just because you had the shits.…"
1 hour ago
More…