Rookies 2024

So now the NRL season is officially over, now comes the speculatoin point of the season, quite frankly the worst part of the year. The month of October is the worst as November is when training starts and can start to get an idea of the team structure. But this coming year, our depth could be helped by our juniors, most may get a FG training deal. So let's go through some names that we could see and get excited over. EA surely can add his part in the comments as i believe he would.

Ethan Sanders: The most well known player in this crop. Not too much to say that hasn't been said. He is a player no doubts about it. Talk is Parramatta are somewhat boyish of retaining him, but not sure on that as Canberra have given him a track to NRL quicker than we can offer, but if we can somehow keep him, man he is a great asset to have. He will be in Cup in 2024 for sure.

Blaize Talagi: Centre/Five-Eighth hybrid. Had injuries all year, couldn't get into a groove yet still performed in big games. He has that coolness factor about him. Similar build to Dylan Brown. Doubt he is as talented at his age compared to Dyl but his ability to shift across the 13 is what will get him a debut in 2024. A jam packed back-line in NSW cup already he could snag a Centre spot. I would go as far to say he will debut at some point in 2024.

Ethyn Martin: The oldest of the rookies, the kid has only been playing league for a short time. Born in NZ, played league up to 15 where he switched to Rugby while living on the Gold Coast who's development was hampered from COVID, was on a train and trial with the Dolphins before shipping off the the UK to play Rugby, before heading back to the Dolphins. We picked him mid year, he slotted straight into Flegg scoring 13 tries in 11 games. There are clips of him on Youtube playing Rugby in NZ, though the kid is still learning the game and is already showing quality. He is 21 already so he is only eligable for NSW cup, he should get a wing spot in Cup to start next year. Give him a full NRL pre-season and do not be surprised if he gains confidence from being around the likes of Gutho, Penisini, Sivo etc. Learning what it takes to play first grade and getting his body in the right shape for FG. He is speedy, can play Wing and Fullback, has a bit sneaky strength in him too, where give him a good NRL pre-season in weight room he could really improve more with is physical side of the game. Honestly, he could be a smokey to be our righ winger come early to mid 2024. I could see him getting a debut in 2024, with the likes of Russell, AMS, Lumelume, Dunster, Cini and now Harper in NSW cup frame, i think Martin is good enough to get a spot on the wing over them. Missed opportunity not debuting him in Cup late 2023, though could be just not wanting to overwhelm him coming into the code. Could say he is like a Khan-Pereira in that he is a speedy try scorer and that is it, but Martin has bit of something else in his game. He played Hooker while coming through in GC before going to Union, so hopefully his defence is up to scratch.

Matthew Arthur: He is good, whether you like BA or not you have to admit Arthur can play. His build suits Hooker, he is smart, got great vision, tough and is great in defence. His worst game was the prelim against the Roosters where he was good but could tell his body was aching from playing against boys 3 years his senior. But now he has had a debut in Cup, he can establish himself as the 3rd string Hooker in Cup. I think BA is going to move forward with having 4 forwards on the bench in 2024, meaning MA will be 14 in Cup, which for a 19 year old might not be a bad thing as he eases into the grade. I would not be putting him in Flegg, unless he gets limited time in Cup behind Hands. With Hodgson now in the coaching ranks it will be even better for him. He will debut in 2024.

Jontay Junior Betham-Misa: Played a lot of NSW cup footy, which would have helped him a lot. He dominated when back in Flegg, though is still raw. He should be the starting front-rower, alongside Makatoa, in NSW cup in 2024. Just a battering ram type of Prop, a lot different to the Props we have at the moment. Not saying he is Fui but he is that type of Prop. He will debut in 2024 as we move towards younger depth in our middles. Makatoa and Rodwell both off-contract in 2024, the former turning 31, BA and co. will starting fast tracking the likes of JJBM, Moretti and another Prop who i will mention later as our new middle depth.

Sam Tuivaiti: The other Prop i am referring to. He is more in the mold of Junior Paulo. He is a bench impact Prop, he will see time in Cup with starting in Flegg. With Paulo and RCG getting into their 30's along with Ofahengaue. It is Greig and Hopgood who lead as these kids make up the rest of the squad, Tuivaiti will be a fine player.

Elijah-Shane Tapau: Coming over from the Townsville Blackhawks in the North Queensland system, he is if Shaun Lane and Wiremu Greig had a kid. A lean and massive edge back-rower, has an offload like Lane. He is super raw, that is where an NRL pre-season will come in handy, but i would not be surprised to see him get a Cup debut after starting Flegg for sometime. He is a Queensland under 19's rep too, NQ were not happy to lose him at all.

Richard Penisini: Runs like Will but is taller and bigger than Will. Richard is a different style Centre than Will, where Will likes to make post contact metres, use leg drive to make metres leading to a quick play the ball, Richard is more so using his height to create space and separation for his Winger. He made his Cup debut, lasting only 2 mins due to HIA. He is highly thought of in the club, though his skill set makes him a Centre only, i could see him debuting on the wing but it doesn't suit him, as oppose to like Martin. I think Richard will spare his time between Flegg and Cup, before seeing out his 2024 season as a full-time Cup player. Could make his debut late in 2024.

Apa Twidle: Just re-signed til 2025. A five-eighth by trade turned Fullback, Twidle is a hard working Fullback in the mold similar to Dylan Edwards. There is a pathway for Twidle to come in and steal the no.1 jersey from either Russell or AMS in NSW Cup, if he does he would not give it back. He is only 19 so has plenty of time, but he could be that player that gets there from true determination. If he is given an NRL pre-season, he will be ready for it.

Josh Lynn: Came from Queensland and got a NSW cup debut. Has a very level head on him and has a mixture of both running and organising. Could be one of these kids that is better than what is expected but gets overshadowed by a fellow player, in this case Sanders. In his lone NSW Cup game he complimented Rankin nicely. Could be a nice player to have around.

So let's say Parramatta sign another Centre/Winger, which i think they will, then you will have an NRL backline of Gutho, Sivo, Penisini, Simonsson, TBA. Then have Harper and Russell in Cup. I say that refer to what i think a team list could be in Cup to put this into perspective based on top 30 next year. So if there are no movement other than another back, this could be the Cup team.

1. Russell

2. Dunster

3. Harper

4. Talagi

5. Martin/AMS

6. Asi

7. Sanders

8. Makatoa

9. Hands

10. Betham-Misa

11. Doorey

12. Momoisea

13. Moretti

14. Arthur

15. Rodwell

16. Tuivaiti

17. Mataele

That is a quality list, much better team than last year. Only issue is injuries on either end could make the team much younger causing inexperience and our NSW cup falling further. Another half with experience would be nice and maybe some Cup experienced forwards to fill out the squad to have hanging around.

Could have a sprinkle of rookies help us in NRL? Absolutley, having one or two become full-time FG players will help us, cap wise especially. They could also help us over that edge we could be lacking last year. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 1
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nice write up LB, I pencilled in a very similar Cup squad. No mention of Charlie Guymer?

• Great stuff. I don't know much bout the youth sides so this helps 

• Well I hope I'm spot on, I watch a fair bit of them and research, again No guarentees on them but

• Cheers LB and a very good read again, and thank you for taking the time to analyse these kids. I trust that the club will invest well with these kids. I've also heard Lynn is a good player 

I truly hope these guys have almost a full season in Reggie's as this will give them good time to develop and have another NRL pre season in 2025. 
    In saying this my point is that our main NRL squad stay healthy more than this season and with less visits to the judiciary. 

• We need to take a leaf out of Penrith's book in terms of juniors, this is the first great crop in a long time, with proper mangers now it will get better. By 2026 I think we should start seeing more than half the impact

• LB what is your thoughts on Charlie Guymer? He did play age SOO this season 

• Yes John,

I don't know enough of him to judge him but he is very highly regarded. Again here is an edge forward in a team that is starting to get top heavy with same...... now I understand he has been experimented with in the centres as well and I really think we should be pushing this ..., we are short of class centres so why should we not be pushing this angle.....the centre position is now like an edge forward, lets look at Bradman Best, don't tell me he wont end up in the forwards, very good as a centre for a few years yet, notwithstanding. The fellow from Cronulla is built like a brick shithouse, most of your centres these days are forwards.....we have some good ones coming through, there is a kid in that Flegg team, I think his name is William Lat (?) comes from North Qld where he is a junior super hero, he is also a edge style forward. If these blokes can be adapted to the centres (think Niukure as an example) then we are going to get stronger across the park and using the Gibson theory of the best 13 get picked and we find a position for them later (17 now).

Look at the Penrith team they have developed depth across the park and that is where we need to head. Players like Simmonsson, Parker, our current winger (name escape's me) Dunster etc are just depth players.....Penrith do not carry those players unless they have injuries.....any ball playing forward should be capable of being a hooker, halves and fullbacks are the elites along with 3 good front rowers.....build that and they will come....premierships that is, seems that's what everyone is wetting there pants over, get the process right and premierships will happen.

Just figure out how you keep the players or create the shadows for the ones you know you are going to lose if you win premierships.

• Guymer was a Centre earlier on then transformed into a back-rower. He is a workhorse and a natural leader. Think he will feature at bit in cup but I see him more of a late bloomer in terms of NRL. Wouldn't say anything about his game is amazing just does everything good to great. Solid player.

Though he is the type of player BA likes to have. If he debuts in 2024 I would love him to do well.

• Guymer played Cup this year so I am assuming the Club see him as a player to develop in 2024.

• Imo by seasons end Matt athur and blaze will both debut. I wouldn't be surprised if jjbm isn't regular on the bench by season end. Martin could be the same with a big pre season in the gym. 
    by 2025 is when a lot of these will really start pushing for spots 

nsw cup by seasons end 

1.ams 

2.dunster 

3.blaze 

4.Harper 

5.Dunster 

6.asi

7.sanders 

8.jjbm 

9.Yates 

10.maka 

11.Doorey 

12.tuagli 

13.moretti

14.athur 

15.Sam tuviti

16.brock Parker 

17.Toni matale

I would like to see this season one point and the club looking to shift some players like on Ogden and cini 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Hell On Eels replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Bennett Hypothetical: Sliding Doors
"Thanks, TAD.  Well said! And it's so good to see you posting buddy. I haven't see you posting lately.
Spot on. Ultimately, a good mentor or teacher's aim is to make the student independant of the teacher. Self-sufficient: For the once dependent,…"
1 hour ago
BEM replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Losing your halfback is a massive problem for teams like Parra and Canberra compared to teams like Penrith and the Broncos. 
The difference being that Parramatta and Canberra have very very average coaches compared to Penrith and the Broncos. 
The…"
2 hours ago
BEM replied to EA's discussion Lomax Clause
"Does this "journalist" know this for a fact or like 99% of them, is he just making shit up."
2 hours ago
Rabz S replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Couldn't of happened to a more deserving cunt."
2 hours ago
More…