Parramatta Eels: 2019 NRL season preview

Tanisha StantonNRL.com Reporter

After effectively derailing their 2018 season in the opening rounds, the Eels will be doing all they can to avoid any possibility of a repeat in 2019.

Six loses at start of 2018 left Parramatta unable to find any momentum for the rest of the season.

But it's a new season and the club has plenty to look forward to in 2019 with the establishment of a new home ground in the heart of Parramatta, a wealth of support resulting in record-breaking membership sales, along with several fresh faces joining the club.

Parramatta's trail match against the Raiders was a solid test and coach Brad Arthur is no doubt anxious to see if the Eels will right last year's wrongs.

The 2019 outlook

What's new

With the departure of Corey Norman to the Dragons, a new halves partnership will steer Parra around the park this year. Clint Gutherson, Dylan Brown and Jaeman Salmon are all potential candidates to accompany Mitchell Moses in the play-making position, with several other spots likely to be claimed by new recruits Blake Ferguson, Junior Paulo and Shaun Lane.

The draw

Parramatta have a favourable draw in that they don't leave Sydney's west for the first four weeks of the competition. They meet the Panthers at the foot of the mountain before coming up against the Bulldogs, Roosters and Sharks at ANZ Stadium.

The Eels are set to run out at their new home ground in round six against the Wests Tigers.

The toughest patch for the Eels will be from round nine to round thirteen when they come up against Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium for Magic Round, before heading to Townsville where they have beaten North Queensland on just two occasions since 2000.

A five day turnaround will see them face the Panthers again followed by the Rabbitohs and then the Sharks for their second encounter in 2019.

The stat that gives you hope

The addition of Blake Ferguson will provide the Eels with powerful starts to sets with the former Kangaroo averaging around 200 metres a game in 2018, topping the chart for most running metres (5,400). The best of the Parramatta backs was George Jennings, who averaged 134 metres per game.

Ferguson will also be able to create opportunities put some points on the board. Last year he collected the most line breaks (20) and post contact metres (1,843), while finishing third for tries scored.

What you need to know NRL Fantasy wise

Parramatta's on-field struggles in 2018 means their players have plenty of room for improvement this year, which is good news for their Fantasy prospects.

Hard-working lock Nathan Brown ($800,000) is already a gun and the likes of Clint Gutherson ($477,000), Reed Mahoney ($477,000) and Shaun Lane ($599,000) could join him if they all get big-minute opportunities in their preferred roles in 2019.

Youngster Jaeman Salmon ($223,000), Greg Lelesiuao ($212,000) and Maika Sivo ($212,000) are ones to watch if they get a chance in first grade.

The coach

This season is crucial for coach Brad Arthur who is off contract at the end of the season.

The Eels tried a few different approaches last year with positional changes and revamping training schedules - none of which really worked.

If Arthur is able to find what worked for the club when they made the top four in 2017, he may be able to hold onto the head coach position.

Contract matters

A number of players will need to prove their worth with 19 off contact at the end of the season. Among those with expiring contracts are Daniel Alvaro, Andrew Davey, Bevan French, David Gower, Clinton Gutherson, Josh Hoffman, George Jennings, Greg Leleisiuao, Manu Ma'u, Reed Mahoney, Tim Mannah, Tepai Moeroa, Mitchell Moses, Marata Niukore, Kaysa Pritchard, Ray Stone, Brad Takairangi, Peni Terepo and Stefano Utoikamanu.

The burning question

The Eels and their fans will not want to replicate the Newcastle Knights' run of three straight wooden spoons from 2015 to 2017.

It remains to be seen if the Eels will bounce back from the disappointing result of 2018 and what changes will be made at the club.

Representative bolter

Eels winger Greg Leleisiuao joined the first grade squad in 2018 after two successful seasons in the under 20 system with Gold Coast in 2016 and the Eels in 2017.

In 2017 Leleisiuao topped the 20s competition for average running metres and tackle breaks per game, while also scoring 17 tries in 18 matches. The explosive and dynamic 21-year-old was also rewarded by his club-land efforts with selection in the Junior Kiwis in 2016 and 2017. If Leleisiuao is able to prove that he can match it with the big boys in the NRL, a wing spot in the New Zealand Kiwis beckons.

The player you should follow on social media

Rugby league, good times with his mates and travelling is what you'll find if you head to Clint Gutherson's social media page. The Eels skipper has cranked up almost 30,000 followers on Instagram through sharing with fans some of his most treasured training and playing moments, as well as the down time he spends with his mates playing cricket or enjoying the beach.

The quote

"Last year was the toughest year I've ever had in my career. They weren't fun reviews.

"It was tough for everyone involved, but the beauty of it is you get the chance to learn from all that, you learn to take the positives out of it and you don't want to be in that situation again."

Eels centre Michael Jennings on the lessons learned from Parra's dismal 2018 campaign.

2019 squad

Daniel Alvaro, Nathan Brown, Andrew Davey, Kane Evans, Blake Ferguson, Bevan French, Clint Gutherson, David Gower, Josh Hoffman, George Jennings, Michael Jennings, Oregon Kaufusi, Shaun Lane, Greg Leleisiuao, Tim Mannah, Manu Ma’u, Reed Mahoney, Tepai Moeroa, Mitchell Moses, Marata Niukore, Junior Paulo, Kaysa Pritchard, Jaeman Salmon, Maika Sivo, Brad Taikarangi, Will Smith, Raymond Stone, Peni Terepo

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Mr Robot . I don’t really want to be reminded of eels losing the first 6 games last season however yes hopefully our season form changes this year with a better start improving our chances . Go the eels in 2019 !!!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to LB's discussion Analysis and reflection of BA and is sacking the go, WARNING LONG BLOG.
"Wish i could say same Coryn, but in the stretch of a year i saw both Liverpool and Tampa Bay win titles. Now Parramatta are the last ones. If someone said i could see Parra win a title but Liverpool and Tampa never win anything i would take Parra…"
11 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Blue Eel's discussion The Truth Hurts: Article
"Not going there because your 'very good authority' knows jack shit. Browns downfall was his liaison with Hayne."
32 minutes ago
Bup replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"great blog HOE. Our aging roster is a massive concern, especially when we need to replace aging front rowers at a time our backline is bog average.
I love RCG but he's 31 this year, there's a bloke from St Helen's that's not as big as him but plays…"
1 hour ago
Flow Basket replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"I don't think we can make the 8"
1 hour ago
More…