Our bench for 2023, the options and what we need.

For 2023, one area i cannot seem to put my finger on in terms of the team list is the bench. There are a few reasons for that, firstly will it be Brown or Taupau on the bench, will BA have a back-up hooker at 14, will he play 4 forwars, who will be the second prop out of the long list?

A lot to look at. Firstly middle forwards, there will be minimum 2 on the bench. But let's start with who we know will start in round 1; RCG, Paulo and Hopgood will be our starting middles. Atm as we stand the remainding middle forwards in contention for a bench spot in round 1 are; Ogden, Rodwell, Makatoa, Murchie, Momoisea, Brown and Greig. Then comes the 14 position, will BA want a forward who can fill in on the edge and different areas; Cartwright, Doorey, Mataele. Or will he go for that utility type that can fill in at hooker; Arthur, Asi and Rein. Finally comes the fourth spot which usually is a middle forward or can be a back-rower out of the list provided.

For round 1 i am discounting Matterson, he will return from the bench as impact in Round 4, but before he is back we need to find impact. Compared to our most recent bench; JA, Brown, Kaufusi, Matterson, this is where i hope Taupau signs for us, providing experience and impact.

So if pre-season goes to plan and there are no added signings i think the starting forward pack is as follows for RD 1; RCG, Hodgson, Paulo, Lane, Doorey and Hopgood. Doorey is getting real attention, with Murchie training more in the middle at this stage in pre-season. Then out of the leftovers i see Murchie and Brown as certainties for a bench spot, leaving two spots. You have two middle forwards and one of them can play on an edge if asked to, so where do we go next.

Starting with 14, BA i believe would prefer to have someone give Hodgson some time to adjust, perhap Rein or JA on the bench with 10-15min stints to ease Hodgson back into the grade and not play him for full 80. Or BA could go with Cartwright as that option to fill in out wide like Niukore or Asi as a utility back who could get by in the middle like Will Smith.

Finally the last spot which i think should be a straight up middle; Ogden, Rodwell, Makatoa, Momoisea and Greig are all options, this is the hardest to pick as all bar Ogden have not played over 30 NRL games, all did not get much game time last year, neither did Momoisea for Newcastle, and if we want strict impact only Greig and Ogden are that, where the rest are more working middles. If i had to pick right now on the spot, i reckon the bench will be; Arthur, Brown, Ogden and Murchie. Based solely on Ogden getting some game time late in 2022, his experience and connection with Barrett from Canterbury also would help. I could see Ogden being a find for us off the bench. But Greig also is in for a big year being off-contract, the talk is the reason he is being left out is laziness around the ruck in defence which sounds fair enough. When Matto returns i could see the 4 forwards as is with Matto in for JA.

What are everyone else's bench for round 1?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 🤔 soo many unanswered questions at this point.

Sixties did report on Wiremu being lazy around the ruck, he could be enormous off the bench with Ogden if he gets his head right. I still can't get the sight of him playing for the Māoris a couple yr ago, he terrorised the Indigenous team like a 7 yr veteran.

Hopgood huge potential and will keep Matterson playing like he's off contract

I hear that BA will keep JA in Reggies for '23, hard to believe but if he does then it Carty or Asi for mine at 14

Cyborg I hope he stays, was used incorrectly in the GF last year but still provides intimidation aggression and soft hands a must keep

plenty of noise for Doorey, had raps on him a couple yr ago but I kno nothing of him, Mataele is also getting some press

Im not sold on Waqa, rocks or diamonds. A supreme athlete that melts under pressure, hope they worked on his mental capacity and mental strength - here I'm thinking of Thurstons kick to win the GF - misses it then slots the winning field goal fuck me that's pressure handling ... tuff in the head

Barrett and BA to brings Finals yet again this yr.

• Well now that is interesting that BA might be keeping JA in reggies for most of the year. That is how he should do it, the kid is 20, needs game time, considering how much he missed in 2020 and 2021. Barrett probably mentioned that should be the case.

• I think Asi would be better for us as a 14 rather than centre we have Simonson Dunster and maybe Russell could fill the the left centre, Asi is qiute versatile and can play in the halves centre and full back and could maybe fill in at 9 for 10 min late in each half to give Hodgson a rest.

RCG

Hodgson 

Paulo

Lane 

Murchie

Matterson 

Asi

Doorey 

Hopgood 

Tapau

Would be my pack and bench.

• Makatoa will be on the bench Round 1 unless he spat in BA's coffee. He played 90% of games last season and I can't see any options that stand out way above him in the lot we have purchased or already had.

If we are really contemplating (sight unseen) blokes who were bit players at teams like the Worriers, Kniggits and Dogs then we certainly are living in hope. 

Maybe Murchie being a Batemans Bay boy will get the nepo treatment.

My R1 bench tip from current list and what we saw last season is 14 - Jakey, 15 - Makatoa, 16 - Brown, 17 - Rodwell    .....pretty average really.

Of course, the trials may show us different options.

• I doubt we will see JA on the bench, particularly early in the season.  Surely BA knows he will be harming his sons development if he doesn't play him at 7 in reserve grade,  keeping him in the 14 in first grade would harm JA's development and potentially end his career early. 

• Hopgood will be in the team somewhere. He is very talented and will demand selection from what ive seen. Im even putting my money on second best buy for the eels. Hodgson being the first.

• Hodgson is a sneaky good buy, I've said that from the start. Of course I would choose Mahoney due to longevity at the position but for what is out there we got a bloody good hooker.

• i think he may actually offer more then Mahoney to this team. We have lacked that hard headed, smart experienced player, that can direct play and demand more from the players around him. Stays cool when the chips are down, gets a team back onto the game plan when things get tough, can lead by example and is a threat themselves.  Hodgson could be just that.

• BE agree with your sentiments. Hodgson and Hopgood are the stand-out recruits.

I have seen a bit of Hopgood not a lot but watched him against the Eels State Cup he was the outstanding player on the field. Good hands good organiser.

However, the one who I have the most anticipation about is Hodgson. We may only get one year or two given his age and assuming he stays fit. His work around the ruck throughout his career has been outstanding.

I wait with anticipation to see the  forwards running off his short passes around the ruck. I think that he will add something to our attack close to the line.

• BE exactly why in 2020 i was all for Woods signing, we need someone mid game to speak up and get us on track. Gutho and Moses are too focused on doing things themselves they become flighty and cannot lead how they should, Paulo on the other hand is more a lead by example. Hodgson is a case of shut up and listen and is not afraid to speak. He will calm Moses down in those situations, where Mahoney would give it to Moses when demanding the ball in a time of stress.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Speech posted a discussion
What does it take to be sent off. A classic from last nights game is the tackle on Lane verses Sivo. Sivo a fine and the 2 Manly players get 2 weeks each. How does Parramatta benefit from this? The teams advantaged are the teams Manly play over the…
6 minutes ago
EelsAgeMe replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion The real truth - what next ?
"Screw chasing the collision, it's out dated. How about we chase not getting embarrassed every week? How about we simply chase a win? "
12 minutes ago
macybrown replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"👍🏽 "
21 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"We desperately need to appoint a key HOF. Someone experienced like a Frank Ponisi, Shane Richardson or a Peter Parr. 
This is the starting point. 
I'd even go for Brian Smith but I think Brian has well and truly retired or a  Matt Cameron to rebuild…"
27 minutes ago
More…