NRL 2021: Brad Arthur backs plan to keep Parramatta Eels stars fresh for finals tilt

Dean Ritchie
Daily Telegraph

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has bristled at accusations he has surrendered a possible top four spot by giving up on beating the red-hot Penrith Panthers.

“We certainly won’t be putting the slippers on this week,” Arthur said.

Arthur has rested seven players for the Panthers game on Friday night – effectively ending any chance of victory and a possible top four finish.

In startling head-to-head odds, the TAB has Parramatta as an $11 outsider and Penrith at $1.03.

Parramatta, Manly and the Sydney Roosters are all on 32 competition points heading into the final round – only one will progress to earn a second chance in the finals by finishing top four.

Arthur has elected to rest Clinton Gutherson, Junior Paulo, Marata Niukore, Mitchell Moses and Waqa Blake, while fellow stars Dylan Brown, Nathan Brown and Isaiah Papali’i named as reserves outside the top 17.

No side in the NRL era has won a premiership from outside the top four. The last side to achieve that rare feat was Canterbury, in 1995.

While many agree Parramatta’s undermanned side may cop a hiding, Arthur refuses to concede his side cannot roll Penrith.

When asked if he had given up on beating Penrith, Arthur said: “What? Why have we given up on beating Penrith? We certainly won’t be putting the slippers on this week.

"We are trying to get blokes ready for what is ahead of us. I’m doing what’s best for the club and what’s best for giving us every opportunity in the finals.

“There are other priorities that lie ahead, but that doesn’t mean we’re not trying to win this week. It doesn’t mean that at all.

“Look, Penrith is a very good team and they will be hard to beat at the best of times, but we have momentum on the back of the last couple of weeks.

“And the boys getting an opportunity, they’ve still got to go and play the style of footy we want to be known for. If that’s not good enough, well it’s not good enough. We haven’t spoken to them about the result, but about the opportunity they’ve got.”

Parramatta’s replacements this week include Hayze Perham, Jake Arthur, Ky Rodwell, Michael Oldfield, Samuel Loizou, Sean Russell, Tom Opacic and Will Smith.

NRL coaches have KPI’s inserted into their contract — most earning additional money with a top four finish, so Arthur may well be costing himself big bucks by electing to run with an understrength side.

“We probably have four or five blokes that wouldn’t have played this week anyway because of injuries, head knocks, suspensions. We were down a minimum of five as it was,” Arthur said.

“Then there are other blokes like Nathan Brown who has been playing busted now for a while. This is an opportunity to give some of the other boys a run, blokes who haven’t played for a long period.

“Last year, in the major final, we lost Maika (Sivo), ‘Fergo’ (Blake Ferguson) and Marata (Niukore) in the space of 10 minutes against Melbourne and it all went pear-shaped.

“The next week we were down four players and then had to bring in four players who hadn’t played for two or three months.

We have mixed things around over the last couple of weeks with rotations to give everyone some game time if we need to call on them. Our expectations of them will be high so we need to make sure we have put the time into their preparations.”

Parramatta legend Nathan Hindmarsh backed Arthur’s decision.

“They would rather forgo a position in the top four, which is only a 50/50 chance at the moment,” Hindmarsh said. “Do they back themselves in round one of the finals with a fresh side of key players?

“I don’t mind that he has given them a rest. I can see why BA has done it. He wants to give a few guys a taste in case something happens during the semi-finals series. I’ve got no drama with it, I’ve got no issue. Brad knows the team better than anyone else.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• With 4 or 5 players unable to back up from the Melbourne game, plus players like N.Brown carrying minor injures it seems it made it a easier decision to rest the squad and not risk any further injury or suspension plus get some match fitness in our bench players and reserves

Brad would have a great understanding of how fatigued the boys have been in the last 6 weeks. The week off could be what we need to try and end our final series burnouts.

• Dale all teams are fatiqued and injuries this time of year. When your got nothing left to give at training you start training I don't know if that rule has changed. They have all summer to have a rest and regrets. 

• This reply was deleted.
        • SImmoee yes I know they train smarter now but have you seen the warmups? Look at the injuries that happen there. I'm a pretty boy yes I am.  Thanks Poppa for posting my avatar says male now.  I will change it. 🐦

• Parrakeet your stratgeic understanding of the game is non existent. 

Any dope coach that wouldnt do the same given our position is kidding themselves. 

We need Cowgirls to beat Manly, so we kill our selves trying to beat Penrith who want the minor, injure half our team, and Manly still beat Cowgirls, we still end up 5th. 

• Major I hope your not ex player or coach but I believe you rest players if they need it for sure. Time will tell if this has worked for BA. I believe South's fitness lacks towards the end of game so perhaps why they are getting rested. Nothing beats match fitness.  I've seen teams crawl into finals and GF on shear fitness and mindset.  I also saw on NRL 360 Ivan Cleary interview and he said none of the boys wanted a rest they all wanted to play. 

• I think he's more than earned the right after last weeks demolition of the premiership heavyweights Melbourne.The decision seems about right too me.Full tilt with a freshend squad those guys like Nathan Brown and alike will be thankful for that.

RCG back in the mix Parra will be back to pretty much full strength.

• BA is doing the right thing to give us the best chance of winning 2-3 finals fames

TBH I am surprised Penrith have named a full strength squad , if they come out of the game with suspensions and injuries to key players they'll only have themselves to blame.

Well played Parra 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Souths are doing it. Melbourne are doing it too. Watch what Manly do if results mean they have top 4 wrapped up before they play. But since the Eels are doing it let's focus on them. 

• Yeh I love that Souths have essentially done the same as us and no one is paying them any attention.

• RCG, Mahoney,  Gutho, and Nuikore injured.

Paulo and Matterson suspended 

Not actually resting as many as made out.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"Where Parra need the push is in there juniors the next 2 years edges outside backs and front rowers they'll be the key mix that with shrewd player pickups in 26 when we have the cap.
Then you make your decisions on Gutho RCG Matto and alike."
1 minute ago
KENDOZA replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parra Should Swoop On McNamara If Bennett Heads To Souths
"No chance getting bennett as rabbitohs now have offered a 5 year deal to bennett "
5 minutes ago
LB replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"2026 we could have a good war chest to use, by then too the salary cap will start to level out as it has gone up the last few years so players upgrades have been covered by the increase. Once the increases stagnate teams will start losing more…"
15 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"Gutho has been our most consistent player for ages and is the heart and soul of the side. He's almost the opposite of a Hayne. He's a 7.5 or 8 player out of ten who gives you that every single week. Hayne could be a 10 but could also turn in regular…"
22 minutes ago
More…