Full Strength in 2022

Legends,

To kick off my rebirth, Id love to see a bit of discord discussing our strongest 17 for this year. 

I have a suggestion listed below: 

Grand Final Team 2022
1. Gutherson
2. Waqa
3. Penisini
4. Niukore
5. Sivo
6. DBrown
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. RCG
11. Lane
12. Papalii
13. Matterson

14. Russel
15. Makatoa
16. NBrown
17. Kaufusi

A bit of an interesting suggestion so more than happy to have a bit of a discussion regarding the side. 

I think Marata didnt miss a beat when filling in at Centre when needed.
Starting him in the backs would be giving us a much needed boost out of the redzone.
I think this could really help out our forwards. 
Carrying an extra outside back on the bench could help us with injury coverage or a shift to a different play style. 
That being said, if Stone was healthy he would be my 14. 
I think this set up could help us keep our best players on the park for longer.
Waqa can come into his familiar Centre role, DB Can fill in at Hooker, Russel can cover at Fullback, Marata second row.

Let me know what you think, would love to chat about it :)

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe Russell wing Nikure 14 Waqa 4

• I think Waqa is a better winger than Russel.

Russel is obviously an awesome player, I just think the returns coming out of the redzone are so critical, he has a lightweight frame. 

If Marata is full strength I think we want him out there for as long as possible. We have seen how hard it is to get a forward 'into the game' as it goes by. We would be making the most out of Papalii too, who is an 80 minute player.

BA hasnt been the only coach to hold back on using one of his players throughout the 80 minutes.

• Nice team, Jed. Looks very strong defensively.

Can see a justification for Niukore at centre, but can also see one for Waqa at centre & Russell or Simmonson on wing. It's a tough one, Waqa was playing so well on the wing.

• Simonsson has the wing spot locked up. 
    when waqa returns he will go into the centres with penisini. That leaves sivo or russel as the only other wing spot.

I like matterson in 13. He can play the full 80 and I've said for a few years that nbrown should come off the bench despite him making me eat my words in quite a few performances, but lately he looks slow and has a terrible play the ball. shaun lane has a fantastic offload in him and has points around him, but his is a slug sometimes. 

marata on the bench to cover second row and centres. JA as the utility :)

• I really like the starting side. Not convinced I'd leave out Simmonson though. He has been very good recently. I think our right side attack is under utilised generally, which makes us biased towards Simmonson's value/ contribution. If he had scored a few more tries, I think everyone would be sold on him. However, he doesn't get much good ball on the try line because we seem to favour our left side attack. For example, we often see the cut out ball gift the left winger easy tries, but that almost never happens on the right - which is a little ironic considering Moses plays on the right. 

I'd probably keep Nuikore on the bench with N Brown and Kaufusi. For the 14, I'd go with Perham or Carty. I'd lean towards Perham, but only if we trialled him there beforehand playing that middle 14 role like Dylan Walker does for Manly. I think Perham has the agility and hands to do it, but I'd like to see him prove it before picking him there for a big game. 

• I been on getting out of the backfield since the off season and when the injuries struck I thought we have to muddle our way through this.

1 thing here and why I like Nuikore no chance in hell I'm starting him over Penisini.

He's my energy guy coming off the bench him and potentially Nathan Brown could well be key moves.

Waqa to the wing I'll evaluate that after seeing a month of footy with Sivo back as no doubt there will be some acclimation for him with his long lay off.

Parra need this badly we need a pick up in intensity bring the ball back and I think that starts with getting Waqa and Maika back in the starting line up.

A lot wax Russell and Perham having potential but neither are physical enough for me.

• I think this is where a Talakai type signing could really help as he brings physicality on the edge which we'll 100% lose when Papalli and Nuikore leave.

• i would have w blake centre and move niukore to 17 and simonsson or russell on wing as they are natural wingers then carty or opacic at 14. kaufusi to 18

• 1: C Gutherson 

2: M Sivo

3: W Penisini

4: B Simonson 

5: W Blake

6: D Brown

7: M Moses

8: Jr Paulo 

9: R Mahoney 

10: RCG

11: S Lane

12: I Papali 

13: R Matterson 

14: H Perham ( covers 1-7 )

15: N Brown 

16: M Makatoa 

17: M Nuikore 

18th B Cartwright 

id put Blake on wing, he Carries the ball back hard and fast, Simonson played centre at the raiders and was good 

Perham covers the whole backline if there's an injury 

• Tell you what I'm loving the look of this weeks starting side v the Raiders.

Nuikore onto the edge to solidify the defense Papalli into 13 and gives us a strong middle with Matto and Brown bringing the leg speed and ball playing off the bench 

Blake onto the wing.Very strong side.

Also gives us more grunt bringing the ball out.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Bob Smith replied to Nitram's discussion Canberra won, what now?
"100% effort for the Raiders. Even when they were 16 down, they went hard. Contrast that to the crap the eels dish up."
8 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"That's interesting Tragic, I'm not sure if Parramatta Council has become a sponsor but Sue Coleman - who many here poo-poo-ed, shat on, and pissed on with pleasure -  for her 30-year plus community service and council work has been an executive on…"
35 minutes ago
BringBackSemi replied to Nitram's discussion Canberra won, what now?
"Canberra did really well, but Manly also choked. Garrick was potting every conversion last week (I think he was 100% too). He missed like 3 last night. He gets those, Manly win. Lodge drops it cold off a kick off, there was another that Whitehead…"
39 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Nitram's discussion Canberra won, what now?
"They only beat manly. I reckon if Sivo didn't brain fart we probably go on and beat them without our halfback last week too. Manly are crap "
50 minutes ago
More…