Eels 2021 - Confirmed Squad

Daniel Alvaro (2021). Waqa Blake (2023). Dylan Brown (2022, 2023 PO). Nathan Brown (2021). RCG (2022, 2023 PO, 2024 CO). Haze Dunster (2021). Blake Ferguson (2021). Clint Guthertson (2022). David Hollis (2021). Samuel Hughes (2021). Michael Jennings (2021, 2022 PO). Oregon Kafusi (2022). Shaun Lane (2023). Joe Lussick (2021). Reed Mahoney (2022). Ryan Matterson (2021, 2022 PO). Mitchel Moses (2021, 2022 PO). Marata Niukore (2022). Tom Opacic (2021). Isaiah Papali'i (2022). Junior Paulo (2022). Jordan Rankin (2021). Maika Sivo (2021). Ray Stone (2021). Only Will Smith is without a contract from the players that were not listed to be leaving the club. George Jennings was the other but he has joined storm till 2022. Obviously Michael Jennings situation has to be dealt with. Interestingly, I hadn't heard any news of Dunster or Hollis resigning with eels, but NRL.com listed them as eels players for 2021. So our 2021 roster currently has 24 players (23 players if Michael Jennings is found guilty of taking PED's). I expect Will Smith to be resigned and I believe we pretty much have signed Nathaniel Roache and Bryce Cartwright. I think we won't get John Asiata, and I hope we don't go for Josh Mansour. So what signings should we make? Obviously don't expect star players, but rather players for depth (unless we need to replace Michael Jennings).

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Lane 2023 is crazy, the guy's a plodder who needs to be on a yearly contract. 

• He had a great first year us. Maybe last year was just a bad year for him. I hope so

• He is a better player that he showed this season, when he was put back on the bench rather than starting in one of the late games he was much better, I think he is more likely to be used in the same way.

The list is quite interesting realy, and on the various media player lists for the clubs, the eels are shown as having the following as being off contract :- Haze Dunster, Will Smith, Ray Stone.  One other aspect is that some players who were allowed to negotiate with other clubs have now been listed at their respective clubs for 2021. The calves actually has the most players listed as being off contract 2021, but still have Asiata listed as being released, he would be my big pick to be signed, and a perfect foil for Lane as they wouls swap from run on & replacement.

There are still players that are likely to come on board, such as Cartright, one also from Canberra, one more being mentioned.  The above list has us with 24 players and MJ is a perhapser owing to the drug thing,  I notice Will Smith is not listed either and to me it shows that there is still some areas to be cleared up. 

Hollis & Hughes are good additions and Hughes is shown on the eels teams page, and that list tops out (ATM) at 20 players, including Dunster & Stone, on a guess, would say both have been signed for 1 more year each.

• All good. Thanks for doing it actually. When I typed the blog, it appeared like how you did it. But once I posted it, everything became one paragraph for some reason. 

• Roaches, Oldfield, Cartwright, Lussick and I believe Naden Jennings will go, Ferguson may leave if he can get a longer contract at another club.i know we are talking to Mansour. I think we only have 2 spots left

• Roaches, Oldfield and Cartwright are signed 

• Hollis and Hughes will be the interesting one's,if they debut and let's face it we probably need one of them to hit the ground running. I think Hughes will  be given small cameos early on  and build up his minutes, Hollis maybe just a taste towards the end of the season.I think we still should sign a decent forward.

• Eggman, to me we need to give these guys some good trial time and have one or two ready for the bench. I only see 6/7 middle forward on that list. RCG, Brown, Junior, Hughes, Hollis Alvaro and maybe Kaufusi or Niukore but they would be second row. I may be wrong, but Alvaro could be depth only and spend his time in CC.

• Don't sweat it lads - I will be doing work in the ORF SEEZUN with Cam Smith to avoid penalties and suspension.

He tells me he has a sure fire way to do it.

I reckon I could almost go the full 11 minutes - total for the game, that is.

• That should be in place next year Slugg, although who knows?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael Ericson replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"I agree there is way too much knee jerk stuff going on. Most of our best 17 are still very good players. "
6 minutes ago
My Bob replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"I agree and I would not move him on. He has lost confidence & match condition. With MM back and Brown next to Lane we could see the weapon he was before the  broken jaw etc.
Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. We need a new coach and…"
10 minutes ago
LB replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"You say Meninga for the rest of the year but was does that accomplish? If you are going with an interim you season is over anyway so what is the point bringing Mal in? Doesn't do anything for you moving forward. Better off just using Barrett in that…"
25 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Have to disagree. 
We don't have the best forward pack in the comp.
Wouldn't even say top 3 or 4."
28 minutes ago
More…