Conundrum for 2022

This blog i was planning to write a fortnight ago, though work has caught up with me and so has the talk of Parramatta overall has guided my attention elsewhere. However, the thing that i writing about today is the issue concerning the Eels for 2022.

The talk of course, unless you are living under a rock, is Arthur is under pressure and we are awful at the moment. Arthur with one year left on his deal been told it will be honored, though do not know how true that is. Let's say it is true and Arthur will lead us into 2022, it will be a massive year and headache for Parramatta for a few reasons and it is a decision that they may have to make due to having their hands tied on replacements.

So we know atm, Arthur will only be sacked if we bow out of the semis badly and there is a replacement that we want (Bennett, Flanagan, Green, etc.). Though let us talk of the possibility that there is no replacement and Arthur stays, ok fair enough as it is very understandable and probably the best option for that season alone to go with who is already there. Parramatta though place themselves into a very awkward predicament. Arthur off-contract, numerous big players off-contract, need for a superstar and reliance of young kids to get that superstar. Firstly Arthur's contract, no matter the start Arthur will not be, and should not be, re-signed until after that campaign due to seeing if history repeats itself. Now this is not ideal of course as it adds unrest for the playing group who love BA, adds pressure that is not needed with the belief that one bad form slump could see him gone mid-year which will add even more unrest. Then you will have Arthur nagging for a new deal even putting flyers out to new clubs to push Parramatta along and pressure them to a deal. Parramatta could succumb to the pressure and extend him a further two or three years if he starts well to eliminate the pressure, though history repeat itself and they're back to where they wanted to avoid and even worse are stuck with it for another few seasons. Now they could go with a one year extension and i reckon Arthur would take it, but then comes the issue with the playing group, they want stability and to know who is in charge. 

Not every player has control on who will their coach throughout the duration of their deal, though to players like Gutherson it would be the main part of negotiations due to their relationship, but if not him they will want to know who it will be. If you leave Arthur's fate for 2023 unknown for most of the season, some players will sign regardless if the contract is fair to them, though some will wait and hell even just sign elsewhere as by the time the club will choose to either re-sign him or get rid of him most of the other 15 clubs 2023 salary cap space would be gone, therefore will decide to jump at what they can get.

If Parramatta choose to re-sign Arthur late into 2022, it could be an issue of implementing a rebuild if we wait to long or cannot sign these players, would they let Arthur rebuild with the kids such as Arthur, Russell, Penisini, Hollis etc.? If they sign to an extension Arthur in 2022 then they may have no choice. The thing that wants to be avoided is for us to fall into the hype of first 10 rounds again and sign him up further for this to happen again, though for Parramatta if Arthur is at the club in 2022 it is a case of damned if you damned if you don't situation that is upon them.

What does everyone think? I think after Manly game his percentage of getting sacked went from roughly 25% to over 50% where i legit went from he should be sacked but wont be, to generally thinking damn it might happen. But still there is a chance he isn't and should support him if it is the case as he is coaching our team and will give his all, but 2021 is pressure for Arthur 2022 is pressure for the club.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 1
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't see how BA survives this season. Maybe a miracle and they go all the way to the GF might save him lol. 

Timing is crucial! As you've stated we have important recruitment and retention decisions to make, starting now. Players (whether here or currently outside the club) need to know who the Coach will be not merely in 2022 but for 2023, 2024 as well. We can't go into next year with BA still here knowing it's his last year. That simply doesn't work on so many levels.

Personally I think the chances of BA being sacked at the end of the season is 100%. 

• From what was said on Continuous Call Team yesterday was no matter what happens in next 3 weeks wont matter, it's on the semis as it always was, from what he said it was we had to make week 3 at least for him to survive, or lets say we play Souths or Manly in week 2 and get done by 1 points that might just save him.

So to me it is not quite 100% haha but it is getting closer each game.

• What happens in the finals will obviously determine if BA is sacked at the end of the year. BA could lose the next 3 weeks and then make it to the prelim and he would probabaly keep his job. However, at this current rate we are going to get knocked out week 1 of the finals and BA will be sacked. 

• Week 1 exit regardless of how much we lose by is not acceptable due to who we are versing (7th or 8th). But get to week 2 we will verse either Penrith Melbourne South Sydney Manly or Sydney City, if we take them to say 2 points or lose in golden point does he survive? against any of those teams that is a decent effort of course not good enough but would anyone accept that as a job saving effort? not saying i would but some might.

• I can't see us buying any outside players, can you?

• I can but we would have to move a few players on, and that might have to happen if we replace the coach.

• Good post.
    IMO, let the cards will fall where they will, BA, sadly,  is gone.  The potential ( likely) carry-on should he remain next year could arguably be more damaging to the club than losing games!  That alone will seal his exit. 

• Nothing will happen until the end of October when BA gets back from the usual 2 week break coaches take and the club do the review with him.

None of us know the clauses in his contract and the trigger points.

I have no problem with the club holding fire until season is over it's the fairest thing for the players and BA - see the year out then let's talk 

• The board has to give members some direction or risk losing them. It is simply dumb to say BA has a year to go but what the hell happens after that?

This is not a Bank/Govt Dept where you can just ride out a contract and give a handover to the next bloke. 

If they can't afford to get rid of him due to dire financial issues then we are well and truly screwed.

• If boards let themselves be dictated to by fans we are in trouble 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Frankie Fong's discussion THE BUSH COACH WILL NEVER QUIT 🤣🤣
"Bradley your mother just called, she says shut up and dont speak untill you know what your talking about.
PS Those things didn't stop us as it showed we were willig to pay. WE had no one likely to come to the club at that point, we had a salary cap…"
13 minutes ago
"LB, you are starting to sound like one of the angry mob. 
All the shit in this blog is just the same rants of the usual suspects,
Frank will tell you I am a contrarian and fundamentally I want BA to finish this season, unless if he left now it would…"
24 minutes ago
""
48 minutes ago
Darren Munro replied to Frankie Fong's discussion THE BUSH COACH WILL NEVER QUIT 🤣🤣
"I wonder if he would leave if they put someone to oversee him on a day to day basis?  I would say yes."
1 hour ago
More…