Carty Party 2021

Parramatta sign enigmatic playmaker Cartwright on one-year deal

By Adrian Proszenko

Parramatta have thrown Bryce Cartwright a lifeline that gives the enigmatic forward one final chance to fulfil his potential.

The Eels are set to sign Cartwright on a one-year deal with the guarantee of a top-30 spot for 2021. However, the former Panthers and Titans utility has taken a drastic pay cut in order to get another opportunity in the NRL, agreeing to a minimum-wage contract. It is a far cry from the marquee money he was receiving on the Gold Coast after bursting onto the scene as a rookie with Penrith.

"If I was a club, I'd be very wary," Johns said at the time.

"It's up to Bryce. The problem with Bryce is he's had so much talent.

"Everyone can see how much talent he has. You look at rugby league history in the professional era in the last 20 years, some players who have so much talent, it just doesn't do them service because they don't have to work that hard.

"They get on the field and they can do things which take your breath away, but they haven't got that hard edge about working tough and working hard."

The Eels are in the process of filling out the finals spots of their roster for next year. They have signed Cowboys centre Tom Opacic, Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i and utility Joey Lussick from the Super League.

The club is also privately bracing for the prospect of having to replace veteran centre Michael Jennings, who returned a positive A-sample to performance-enhancing substances earlier this month. Centre is one of the positions Cartwright is capable of filling

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is he related to coach Cartwright? Theres so many Cartwrights around in League at the moment.

• Nephew 

• Think it's his uncle at the Ponderosa. 

• Related to Little Joe

• Ok so this is upsetting. He may have skills but has no heart and is a turnstile in defence. I hope he is on the most minimum payment possible and never sees first grade. I was ready to laugh at the sucker club that gave him a contract. Can't be serious.

• He's talented, a one year minimum contract is worth the risk. 

• Face value I was off this, but:

• Minimum Wage
    • 1 year contract

Worst case - doesn't see a game of first grade.

Best case - rediscovers his form that got him close to origin.

All honestly, as long as he doesn't fuck around off field and cause player unrest, I think it's an astute signging with minimal downside.

• I reckon Carty fits in perfectly with the no defence policy at the Eels

• This reply was deleted.
    • Works for Melbourne re Brenko Lee

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Electric Eel 2's discussion Lomax is a freak
"don't forget their shaved nuts dipped in vinegar?"
2 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"How come Melbourne don't have an Anzac jersey. Are they choosing not to have one or is there a reason why ? 

**edit ** just noticed this is their Anzac jersey lol "
2 minutes ago
HKF replied to Electric Eel 2's discussion Lomax is a freak
"They should know already,  a big loss against manly should put to bed any thoughts about giving BA more time."
3 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Electric Eel 2's discussion Lomax is a freak
"Oh I know that !!!!
you are all big boys roaming around with grey hair or no hair 😆"
5 minutes ago
More…