Brad Arthur press conference

Another embarassing defeat.

I thought Brad Arthur's comments in the after match press conference revealed a lot about what is going on at the Eels.
Firstly he was clearly frustrated and there were indications that he was "Out of answers"

The following comment was particularly telling. Arthur was talking about the players making "soft choices,"
to which he then added "The players have to fix it. We can only talk about it so many times. 
The players have to fix it don't they."

The comment clearly suggests that Arthur was not just referring to the players attitude in this particular match, it indicates
that he has noticed this "attitude" over a significant period of time.

The comment also indicates that he has spoken to the players about this a number of times. The frustation in Arthur's  voice indicates that whatever way he has attempted
to address this has not worked. It has not made a consistent impact among the greater part of the playing group. This seems to indicate that there are
some players who aren't happy with the way Arthur has gone about this.  

The sub text of what Arthur is saying is that there are a number of disgruntled players among the playing group.
A few disgruntled players can affect the whole team dynamic as everyone knows.

The best "man manager" coaches know how to address this.

It would seem, based on these comments that Arthur cannot be placed in that
category.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey don't knock it till you try it.

Theres worse jobs - imagine sitting down listening to BA deliver an inspirational speech - now that's torture.

• Tad 

Brad needs to live by the old ABC - Attitude Behaviours Consequences 

Attitude is the result of the behaviours you display and the consequences for those behaviours.

There must be consequences for poor behaviours (eg - not completing tackles, poor call control etc). What are the consequences for poor behaviours? Not much by the looks of things.

The consequences for good behaviours are obvious. Finals and chances at the elusive premiership.

• Badger I am not a punishment type of person.Consequences are fine if person involved accepts that as fair to accepting responsibility. If there are aspects that the person feels blame should be directed elsewhere consequences will not be accepted.

Cut and paste from authorities that study this

"It's not accurate to say that no one ever learns anything from their punishments. Punishments can serve as a deterrent and can help individuals understand the consequences of their actions. However, the effectiveness of punishment in facilitating learning depends on various factors, such as the severity of the punishment, the individual's mindset, and the context in which the punishment is applied. In some cases, alternative approaches such as positive reinforcement and education may be more effective in promoting learning and behavior change."

• Punishment is not the only consequence for consideration but may be an option where quantifiably justified against set performance levels.

Perhaps the writing should be clearly visible on the proverbial wall. 

To paraphrase the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld - do this, this and this every game OR "No contract for you!"

• Yes really bad effort by the players. But if you are bored with the same old stale systems and tactics, you aren't going to get a 100% buy in. Why bust your butt in the middle, when our edges get stripped every week? The only thing to stop that is getting dropped, but there isn't much in reserve grade putting on pressure on 1st grade.

It's a huge hole, that simply changing the coach isn't going to fix. But change needs to start somewhere. He's been given more than enough chances and pretty sure he'd already be gone if it were any other club.

Brookvale next week will decide whether he stays or goes based on that presser. It's all or nothing now.

• Ok so the players attitudes have been called out. Fair enough. The question is why their behaviours are what they are... is it complacency? Is it that they are secure no one is challenging them for their spots, or are they tired of chasing the collision week in week out?

tbh if we're going to get 50 put on us next game, may as well field the res grade side.

The team is already gassed and to me its clear some of the players are carrying injuries. Is the answer to rest them and potentially lose with inexperienced players, players out of position, or leave them on and hope the rest of the team can cover? I get most of the time players aren't at 100%, so whats the answer?

• If anyone wants to indulge themselves to some gibberish listen to TCT podcast, they tried to blame certain factors but the main reason we lost? Darwin. Thats it. Plus saying don't be reactionary to blaming Arthur or O'Neill or the players as the roster is not good enough and injuries are causing issues. Plus players are playing hurt since we have nobody. Just excuses.

Do not know who is deflecting from blame more, TCT or BA himself. I have said I like TCT, but this is just pure rubbish. What they are saying is true without blaming anyone, it's someone fault but won't say.

• Jesus Christ. Look at our forward pack. They got rolled. To say that forward pack roster is not good enough is a fucking joke. The players and BA need to be help responsible. Yes our roster management is shit as well but that is not why we lost because still had a better team on paper. 

• I wonder if they watched BA's presser afterwards and saw that he practically said they are not FG standard. Sixties preaching the forwards are battered and bruised and the Darwin heat were factors. BA was pretty much like "Nope they were pathetic". If any of those were the case BA would have said it, but he didn't just puts egg on their faces at TCT to be fair.

Oh i almost forgot #Stopdarwin. There we go let's start a nothing movement. Forget my plan of #sackArthur.

• Is that the Parra Podcast circle jerk ?  The club could be proven to have a meth lab in the cellar and be touring the local schools getting children addicted to meth and those Cumberland Tossers wouod defend them by identifying the club is helping fix the national fat kids issues .  I think only Burty tells it as it is sometimes.  

Darwin no doubt played  a huge part, let's not forget last weekend everyone , even the knockers were saying he hadn't " lost the dressing room " thus weekend we are back to the players hating the coach again.  Logic says that spendi the time up there signing autographs and sweating like a priest at a wiggles concert is not going to have us in prime condition. But ... there's quite obviously more going on, whether that's poor attitudes or poor tactics / coaching , there's no way on earth that the players are up to scratch , and all shoud be held accountable from top to bottom. 

Arthurs an issue , so is our captain. But ultimately the director of football or whatever that imposter goes by is the boss. It's about time the media and fans get onto wanting answers from him too. 

And just quietly , other than defence , Dylan Brown would be lucky to get 2/3rds of what we have him on anywhere else right now.  He is just a one trick pony .  Flat track bully like Moses.  The worst part is , he's trying his guts out now , but nothings doing. He needs to be in a team of superstars for him to ever be anything . He'd be brilliant in a team like,abrisbane or Penrith. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

jamesy posted a photo
8 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"Still haven't answered, you know this how?, or are you full of excrement."
10 minutes ago
HKF replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"Quite a few young coaches have made an impression the last few years, payton, fitzgibbon, Webster and even cirraldo is starting to do a good job at the dogs."
11 minutes ago
Space Eel replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"Yes"
12 minutes ago
More…