2023 squad list; who stays, goes and comes in. (long blog)

As we speak, we currently have 25 players signed for our top 30 for season 2023.

I will put next to names * for off contract in 2023, ** for re-signed recently, *** could be gone any day now

Jakob Arthur**

Waqa Blake*

Dylan Brown*

Nathan Brown***

Reagan Campbell-Gillard

Bryce Cartwright

Haze Dunster

Wiremu Greig

Clint Gutherson

Josh Hodgson

J'Maine Hopgood

Shaun Lane**

Makahesi Makatoa

Ryan Matterson

Jirah Momoisea

Mitchell Moses*

Jack Murchie

Ofahiki Ogden*

Junior Paulo

Will Penisini*

Mitch Rein

Ky Rodwell

Sean Russell**

Bailey Simonsson*

Maika Sivo*

As we see there a few players still off contract, i preface that too by saying both Simonsson and Ogden have options for 2024. Now i will list those who are in around the extend squad who could get upgraded. Plus David Hollis is listed as contracted til 2023, he was shown to be leaving at final home game.

Zac Cini

Elie El-Zakham

Brendan Hands

Sam Loizou

Toni Matele

Solomone Naiduki

Josh Tuipulotu

Then we have juniors such as 

Larry Maugututia

Jack Colovatti

Jock Brazel

Matt Komolafe

Ethan Sanders

All these could get development deals.

Anyway now i want to bring up what is left needed, who could go and who may re-sign.

Firstly, Nathan Brown i believe is gone, he admitted himself i believe after the Grand Final. Freeing up a spot in the 30 to 24. Meaning there are still roughly 4-5 spots left before round 1 (Clubs usually keep one spot open for most of the year). So who will fill up those spots?

I think we need still 2 more Props, an outside back, another half and a utility of some sorts (Tevaga, Havili type). Taupau's name has been mentioned so has Klemmer, more so due to being looked at late in 2022 for finals and we have a need for a bench Prop. Taupau i would like, only issue is age. Klemmer would be a better get though price and being quite difficult to coach is an issue, imagine him being a bench player coming to start here and there at Lock, wont go down well.

Curtis Scott is another mentioned which will fix our outside back depth. I love this signing if it happens, he was considered a NSW possibility while at Melbourne. He will be on a cheap one year prove it deal too. As for last two or three spots? Maybe El-Zakham could take one spot? after that not many others to upgrade what this minute. Phoenix Crossland could be a handy pick-up as a Utility of sorts, Tommy Talau also as he can play 6. Brandon Wakeham as a 7 & 9 back-up maybe?

As for forwards there are not alot left. Morgan Boyle, Matt Eisenhuth and Poasa Fa'amusili are options but not great either, not better than what we currently have. Unless we sign someone who is off-contract in 2023. St. George is falling apart and so is Manly, could pick-up someone there perhaps. Josh Kerr and Blake Lawrie both off in 2023, for Manly Toafofoa Sipley would be a nice pick-up. Has anyone heard anything of late of who else we might sign? Still spots open so doubt we are done signing.

As for re-signings, Moses mentioned he doesn't want to leave and have said for months he will never, this is his team and he loves it here why would he go? He will sign til 2026 Brown is another who i believe will stay til 2027, Melbourne our biggest threat signed Munster so they are out of Brown sweepstakes, maybe the Warriors but doubt he would leave Parramatta for the Warriors.

Penisini has been in discussions for months so a deal will get done there til i say 2026/27. Those ones are musts, then you get two depends.

Sivo and Blake. Blake i think is out after 2023, his 500k salary will be 100% on us in his next deal and we shouldn't pay that much. Sivo on the other hand is hitting 30 this year. With Russell, Dunster and perhaps Simonsson (depending on option) all at the club in 2024 Sivo can be seen as expendable. Could Sivo stay? If he is to leave it'll be to French Rugby. But Sivo will not go to another NRL club in my opinion. He may be happy to extend on same money for a further few seasons.

Others like Rein, Cartwright and Greig all depend on how well their 2023 is. Rein could stay in 2024 to see out his career but Greig and Cartwright's chances look slim and think they will be elsewhere in 2024.

So let me know if there is any news on signing front for 2023 and who you think should take the last few spots and if my predictions for re-signings are way off or spot on.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Curtis Scott just got found gulilty of assaulting his partner so his career looks over 

• Yeah was going off rumours here, i published minutes before verdict.

• Too bad about Scott how long is he in jail for?

• JA... That'll do me

• Has scored more GF tries than 23 of the other players in that squad hahaha.

• Think we are nearly set on the outside backs with dunster will surely take the wing spot with Blake to centre Russell not far off being a regular two more forward signings would be nice

• I think one more back signing would be handy. Like a Tommy Talau who can play all across the backline. I feel we are very lean in the Centre department.

• Yeah I don't mind him we lack an X factor one with speed

• We need another strike outside back with some speed that's what this team is missing a genuine out and out speedster.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Prof. Daz’s discussion was featured
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
14 minutes ago
Jake replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Could it be Maika to make way for Lomax.
Round 4 deadline. Maika suspended until round 4. Hmmm"
16 minutes ago
Prof. Daz posted a discussion
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
22 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Well Lomax will be a lot more expensive, Carty would have been on minimum for most of the time and probably only 350/400 now. Carty is not that marketable unless he sell himself attached to the coach LOL"
54 minutes ago
More…