2023 Eels team conclusion.

After 14 games played, I've come to the conclusion that we have a better team than the 2022 team that reached the GF.

Cartwright, Hopgood, are revelations in the forward pack, Greig is having his breakout season. Shame about the long term injury. Hands shits all over Mahoney. Lil' Judas was like a tumbleweed everytime a forward or Sivo took a hard run up at him. The Eel players kept on looking for the the little midget with the headgear to run at.

Simo had made a centre position his with strong carries and good reads. Penisini is finding the white line more often. He's getting stronger with his runs and is sticking onto his man on 1-on-1's.

The bench is doing a wonderful job. Maka is playing his best footy and Oggie is Mr Dependable.

Once Big Joe O settles and Laney and Matto are back we will make a strong run.

We've been so unlucky with injuries to key players this year. Hopefully Dylan's dry root and wondering hands won't keep him out for too long.

We have the best offence in the comp (av. points per game) and in the last 3 weeks we've shored up our defence and have the 6th best.

We've lost 3 games due to Mitch's goalkicking. Could have easy had a couple more wins.

Good work from BA and Barrett who seems as though he's boosted our attacking structures.This Parra team is a very hard nut to crack for anyone.

I thought loosing Reed and Hodgo past his sell by we would be screwed but the footy goods handed us Hands. Marata, Nikuore, Nathan Brown, Stone losses are all... meh. Average for us and average for their news teams. BA can find those calibre players 10 a penny and improve them. We've not even missing Isiah Papali'i.

P.S We didn't just beat Souths our bogie team, but belted them. That was the last frontier for this team. We can beat anybody.

P.S.S I don't know if we can still make the Top 4 but we'll defo be in the top 8. I predict 5-6th. Proper contenders in 2024 to 2025 with our key players all locked up.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Totally agree. The players we have lost I'll do a comparison to who has taken their place and I believe are playing just as good or better now.

Reed - replaced by hands/Hodgson both bring different dimension at way less cost to what reed was asking for and now the dogs are paying 😂

ice - replaced by Cartwright again who is playing a different style but is doing just as good job at a lot less of the cost 

kafusi - replaced by Greg who was and will going forward better at way less of the cost 

Marata - his power game was missed a little at the start but the signing of joe ofa will fix his departure. The likes of maka and Ogden are doing a fine job atm 

waqa Blake - Simmonson who is one of my new favourite players and MUCH better than waqa 

our defence structure and attack is better this year. I don't have this fear of parra not turning up to games anymore like they have done in past years. I'm so proud of this club and where it's comes. We just need to win the competition. It's Coming I can feel it sooner or later 

• We can make the top 4. We're 2 points out, we can go on a nice run with the friendly draw we've got. 
    once we get all our players back our bench can look like this, 

14.Hands

15.Matterson (keeping Cartwright on the right with Moses)

16.Ofahengaue 

17.Ogden/makatoa/doorey/Davey 

That's a solid bench 

• It's all about cohesion and our halves taking more ownership and control.

If DB hadn't farked up this thing gets even fast tracked further.

The fowards have been really good the new boyz and guys stepping up to do there jobs.

Im happy to see Russell and Simonsson step up they've made open positions there own ven though especially in the winger stakes we can improve there imo.

Hands is making a good fist of things at hooker with Hodgson backing him up the first mentioned getting the majority of minutes.Hodgson just has to do a job the next few weeks.

• You've summed things up perfectly.

• Yes Hilly, getting through the Dyllan affair and Origin is key now.....if we can, I can see top 4 and no obvious side too good for us.

• This reply was deleted.
        • Wins cure all that ails you. 
          It happens in commentary too. Watch when the Eels rise through the ladder all the commentators who have ignored us or derided us will suddenly become fans. 

• Yes Mutts your not wrong....the fair wether flyers come out from everywhere.

11764749482?profile=RESIZE_400x

• This reply was deleted.
            • Lol wasn't there some blog floating around saying our next win was going to be in 10 rounds or something? That was in round 5 I think! It's never as bad or as good as you think. 

I was frustrated that we lost a couple of our early round games not because I didn't we think we were going to be playing finals but because I though we were squandering a great opportunity to finish top 4 and press again for a comp. I still think we are the second best side after Penrith again this year with a narrower gap between us. 

There is a still a lot that has worked against us this year with injury and suspension, the Brown saga being the latest. Yet we are still a punchers chance of top 4 

• If the defence was the same as it was a few weeks ago then the 8 was no chance. 

• Well said, Parra fan.

Not going to count my chickens, as a few losses can cause severe climate change, but it's inspiring that they're playing for each other. Toughing it out.

I go back to what Simmo said a few days before we were bottom four & another loss in R11.

"We've definitely got the team. We believe in our systems. We believe in our team, and what we're capable of."

Part I: troubled waters R1-11, bottom four. 4 / 11 

Part II: Redemption 3 / 3 

Part III: ?

Part IV: ?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael Ericson replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Houston In Hindsight: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
"Fair enough regards those 2 - they are probably the most aggressive kick returners in the comp. I would say it's not getting the warriors the win this year though. 
Sivo is the worst this year - but like I said he's played 3 games - 2 of them on one…"
5 minutes ago
Jack replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"His just given a full month at fullback and wants to show what he has. Smart move by him to not take the option. Plays a good month of footy and he could earn extra 100-150k "
5 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"Don't be obtuse Frank, Penrith were pissed when they lost Katoa, and Hopgood was a bit like Sander's, he had road blocks in front of him and thus he left. They also have lost Turuva to Tigers. That's not a criticsm of Penrith, their systems are as…"
7 minutes ago
The Captain replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"You don't need to test the market to know player worth - there are people at our club who's literal job is to understand the player market, understand what competitive salaries would look like, and negotiate to right-size a contract. Sure, if you're…"
25 minutes ago
More…