2021 Award predictions, who would we pick so far?

So with only 5 rounds left of the regular season with at the moment with or without a top 4 finish, Parramatta have a minimum of 6 or 7 games left in the year. So i know that there is still time to go, though i feel next few rounds wont change much of the results.

So for a bit of fun, let's predict or choose who we think these awards would go to. With some added additions that are on negative side

Player of the year

Buy of the year

Rookie of the year

Most improved

Most disappointing

Player most looking forward to seeing in 2022

For me:

player of the year: Isaiah Papali'i, it has been a great story of a player that was in sort of an NRL limbo coming out as a NZ prodigy at the Warriors. Left the Warriors to pursue opportunities abroad and made the most of it by becoming one of the best Back-rowers in the competition. Consistently performed this year, to the point of moving Lane a constant starter in the 17 for two straight years moving him to the bench which is massive feat in a team like this.

Buy of the year: Papali'i, bought as forward depth and bench rotation. Looked at as a middle forward and add impact, Matterson's injury in RD 2 opened the door to starting and never let go of that chance even when Matterson returned.

Rookie of the year: This is a hard one as in the past it usually the rookies that play the most games get the award, Greig, Arthur, Russell and Penisini are the only rookies to debut this year with Dunster also considered a rookie in some way, so Dunster and Arthur are the two that have played the most games. I have to give it to Dunster as the other rookies minus Arthur havent had much game time to really make an impact on this team. Dunster held Ferguson in reserves for a few weeks which is a positive including a career best game against the Gold Coast showed he is getting better in the top grade.

Most improved: Oregon Kaufusi, a player who was in and out of the line-up has played all but 1 game in this years campaign. Adding brute and size off the bench he has earned his spot in the 17 each week. Started the season well and has fallen off in form towards the middle and end of the year but is still playing a good level with some good performance in the last fortnight dispite the teams form.

Most Disappointing: Now i dont think you can have someone like Waqa as there were no expectations to be disappointed at. So my choice would be Dylan Brown. Brown hit the scene as being a kid that could reach superstar heights. He had slick ball player, had a running game and is not a liabilty in defence. This year, his defence is the same (good as always) though his running game and passing game though not awful are not great either. There have been numerous games this year where Brown has just been there, and i cannot remember the last time Brown had a game where i was think "wow, that's why this kid is on 700K a year". I understand when he doesn't take control in games it is how BA might want him to play, but especially in last fortnight with a 18 year old Halfback he tried to take over to a point of being reletively quiet. Brown is not lazy or even a bad player, though i wonder what can be done to get him into games quicker and easier as his performances in 2019 are nowhere the standard of his game recently.

Player looking forward to in 2022: My one will be surprising, Wiremu Greig. Give this kid a full NRL pre-season, especially with first grade squad, and see his fitness improve and weight drop and could have a gem on our hands. Only 2 NRL games i saw runs that were damaging and we need a kid of his size off our bench to add impact, though his fitness let him down to a point where he couldn't stay on the field long enough to impress. I hope dropping from 124kg to about 116-118 kg mark could really help him get a top 17 spot, though i fear he could be a 2 game wonder if he can't keep the weight off and improve his fitness for the speed of the game. I do see a good player in him however.

How about everyone else's?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Player of the year Papalii 

Buy of the year Papalii 

Rookie of the year penisini (based off his one performance)

Most improved Mahoney just over Kaufusi 

Most disappointing Dylan Brown 

Most looking forward to Dylan Brown. Make or break year in 22

• Same for me except for most disappointing, I'd go with Waqa, he just keeps getting worse.

• He looked decent against roosters. But yea. Blows my mind he cannot pass or the coaching staff have not bothered teaching him. We don't use his speed either. Roger Frabri says he is one of the best athletes he has ever seen. Apparently he could be one of the fastest in nrl. Unfortunately being an athlete doesn't always translate to being a great footballer. Storm have taugh olam everything except his pure png grit. Why can't eels teach him the same. Not rocket science to teach a centre to draw and pass.

• Poty and buy of the year is papalii. Rcg, Mahoney and gutho  are up with the best as well.

Rookie is dunster. Penisini if he had more game time.

Most improved is mahoney.

Most disappointing is BA. Sivo has been quite disappointing. Paulo is not having the same effect which is disappointing but his performances have still been solid. I guess Dylan is the most disappointing but I rate him a lot. Would love to see him under a new coach at eels. We play a game that does not suit him. We need speed and decoys in our attacking shape to allow Dylan running game to be more dangerous. Need to use his ability to square the defence up as well. Hopefully we fix our defences and he can revert back to the left where he is much more comfortable and dangerous. Play on both sides of the field please  

I am looking forward to see Penisini and Dylan next year. Hopefully Penisini gets some game time. He could be our best centre after a pre season. I would like to see Waqa Blake be taught some passing skills which could make him a good centre. Surely a coach can teach him some skills. Not that hard. People like olam came to storm with just pure grit. Now he has all the skills 

• I agree about greig. Learning of paulo

• Pretty sure Grieg played some first grade at the cowboys in the past so doesn't qualify as a rookie. 

• Nah he debut for eels pretty sure

• Ok, thought I heard he played first grade with cowboys last year.

• He may have been in the 21 perhaps?

• i wonder how Hughes is? Also how Hollis is going?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frank The Tank replied to LB's discussion If not Bennett, then who?
"Way I see it is this.
You tell BA this is his last season and then you search for his successor. It a process and will take some time so the longer we leave it the less time we have to filter through the applications.
We shouldn't be worried in the…"
4 minutes ago
Cʜɪᴇғ - 😘 replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"How Greig has been in our systems for 4 seasons is beyond belief and another black mark on ba.  Anyone can see that he's very compromised in the agility department and has zero stanima.   
# Brad out asap"
5 minutes ago
Darren Munro replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"What type of winger is alamadine? 

Thanks ea"
15 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Frankie Fong's discussion THE BUSH COACH WILL NEVER QUIT 🤣🤣
"Well you must have borrowed Wiz's licence to exagerate to the point of being blind and ignorant Heisen. 
1. He is in love with Parramatta football side, not money, that;s why he won't throw it in.
2. He made a mistake with Jake, who hasn't seen…"
18 minutes ago
More…