9661639656?profile=RESIZE_584x

Taking a punt here & am happy to do the hard yards depending on interest from Eels fans.For those that were there in 1983, but mainly for those fans that were not. Here is a taste of Rugby League in 1983 and I will try to peice together some of the journey fans & players were taken on until Parramatta's 1983 Grand Final was compleyted in late Sept. I was at some of these games as well as watching on TV, so will include my perspective where appropriate.

Clash Of The Titans - 1983 Grand Final Replay, this was the Match Of The Year (so far) as Manly were seeking redemption after losing to Parramatta in 1982.

Manly were on fire and belting every team as they stood atop of the ladder. Parra's form was inconsistent having won only 1 match out of their previous 5 games & had not won at Brookvale since 1979. Manly was fieding an all International forward pack with Noel Cleal, Ian Schubert and Johnny Gibbs on the bench.

Read "LIKE IT OR LUMP IT" as Gary Lester put forth his conspiracy theory about how Jack Gibson was crying foul about refereeing & how Jack always got the refs to change the way they ref's games. Read Hartley's "MANLY PACK JUST TOO TOUGH" that confirms Parr's under dog tags.

Manly seemed UNBEATABLE thus far in 1983.

PreGame

9661636891?profile=RESIZE_710x

Click on the pic to expand image, the click again for an even larger view

9661637085?profile=RESIZE_710x

Teams

Interstingly, Steve Ella was selected at No6 while Brett Kenny moved out into the centres. I am guessing this move was made as a result of the previous week's Mid Week Tooth Cup loss 5-0 to Manly where manly busted Parra open out wide. Watch around the 30m mark on the Youtube video below & see (marvel at !! I mean) Brett Kenny's defense on a rampaging Chris Close. No wonder Jack Gibson was the Master Coach, as Brett Kenny had just established himself as Australia's No6 on thge undefeated Kangaroo Tour 6 months earlier.

9661912880?profile=RESIZE_710x

POST GAME

9661637871?profile=RESIZE_710x

9661638255?profile=RESIZE_710x

9661638092?profile=RESIZE_584xTHE MATCH

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Watching that game was great fun. Thanks for putting that together.

• Teamlist screenshot, thanks tele9661834889?profile=RESIZE_930x 

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/9661834889?profile=original
    • Nice 1. just added team lists to the posts = have a read about Steve Ellas selection at No6

• You're a champion for putting this together

• Thank you my old friend Frankie

•  Thanks for puttng that game together.

It's good thy didnt allow Rex Mossop to commentate on this one.

•  Lol at the sign at Brooky

"Eels v Sea Eagles here sunday,,,,,Urgent, Blood donors reqd"

Also, at 6.40, The Crow dropkicks the leather ball, on a spongy ground, 52m on the fly! Fuck me, how far would a synthetic have travelled! I forgot how good his boot really was!

• Hahaha LOVE IT. more goodies to come, keep watching

• Randy I saw Keith Barnes kick goals from over half way. Beautiful to watch Can you remember Kevin yeo yeh. who played for Balmain as well he was one of the best in open space I have ever seen. Sadly passed away with some major issues. I came across this --you may be interested.

yle F.Reed says: I have just released a book titled "Inquest" in Ipswich Qld.The book details the short life of Kevin Yow Yeh former Redcliffe and Balmain I st Grade footballer his story has never been told Kevin was a very troubled man his life after football left him a legacy of alcohol fuelled hatred of the white man it virtually killed him then on the 27th June 1975 he was arrested in Maryborough Qld on a minor assault charge he was flown to Mackay to face the alleged charges his case was heard at 10 am and was remanded to appear for sentencing at 2.30 pm, he collapsed at 2pm and was pronounced deceased at 2.05pm his family assumed his death was very suspicious and demanded an Inquest it was never granted. (19/12/2013)

Anonymous says: I have limited memories from the mid 60?s ,but have memories of Kevin as a very fast running player for the Tigers , my earliest rugby league memories . Kevin & Artie were my favorite players from that era at Leichhardt Oval. Was sad to hear of Kevin?s passing in 1975. (31/05/2014)

gavin says: I remember Kevin when I was a boy playing for the tigers. Sadly missed (06/10/2014)

BankTeller says: Kevin possessed amazing pace of-the-mark. I well recall a TV add where fullback, Les Johns (C-B), tackled Kevin Yow Yeh (Bal)in a copybook tackle. RIP Kevin (08/05/2015)

Anonymous says: Kevin Yow Yeh played for Rainbows Club in Gympie 1962. (29/06/2017)

Rob Cross says: I remember watching Kevin flying down the wing at Leichhardt Oval as a kid. IF he caught the ball (many a time he was too quick for the pass and fumbled) it was a certain try. The man was like greased lightening and I will never forget how awesome he was as a runner. 40 years later, I met his niece when we worked together and she told me he had passed away, sad news indeed. (17/08/2017)

Anonymous says: Player-Coach Merv(Tuppy)Walsh led the Rainbows to an easy Grand Final win over Brothers 42-2.Tuppy and Kevin Yow Yeh played for Wide Bay in 1962 QRL trials at Lang Park.Wide Bay played Toowoomba,and Yow Yeh scored 4 tries.I played only one match against Kevin in 1962,and he was top class. (08/12/2017)

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poupou Escobar replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"When was the last time we were able to win consistently? 2005? Coaching isn't our problem."
31 minutes ago
EA replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"No. He has had 11 years to show he is the right coach for us. We all know we can beat Penrith with BA and than lose to the wooden spooners the next week. So us beating Manly means shit about BA. Until we can win consistently than BA time is up "
1 hour ago
Desieels replied to Frankie Fong's discussion A MESSAGE FROM THE FONG
"In today's world, countless events unfold simultaneously, including conflicts, violence, and poverty. These occurrences are part of our daily reality, persisting through the past, present, and likely the future. While it's tragic to witness the…"
1 hour ago
BEM replied to Eel for life's discussion Team List Against Manly
"Ofahengaue has improved a lot. He puts in more effort than Matterson does that's for sure. 
Keep Lussick for his defence? Did you watch the Dolphins game?
Lussick is a terrible defender and his service from dummy half is amateurish at best.
He needs…"
1 hour ago
More…