World cup 9s insights

So watching the 9s, and it's clearly not the same level as test match footy but many of the smaller nations playing with pride and passion which is great to see. 

Firstly eels observations

• Moses - looking very much a leader and steering the boys around. Good involvement and appears to be making the most of the opportunity. Great attitude
  • Gutho - his usual self, effort is great and is keen to put in 100:. I live the bloke and although he doesn't have the gifts or ability of a Tedesco he always puts in
  • NBrown - got a shot today and appear to follow Moses and it paid off.  I think thi I'd a great opportunity for him to get a view and understanding of rep footy culture
  • Taka - in the weakest of all the Polynesian teams, Taka was a standout as the Cook Islands beat Tonga. He looked lively and involved. Interested to see if that plays a role in him resigning with the Eels or anywhere
  • Moeroa - obviously on his way to rah rah but was strong and steady for the Cook Islands
  • Sivo - where do I start... Heart says the Fiji coach didn't use him right but my head says he is believing his own hype. Not overly involved, kept coming off his wing at the wrong time and when he had the ball just tried to run over everyone. I hope that the coaching staff at the Eels get him under control and we don't see a case of second year syndrome
  • Blake - may indicate how Fiji were coached as definitely not at his best but had some good touches

Other observations 

• Australia in second gear with a 2nd or 3rd teir team still hands down the best country when it comes to league. Will only lose this tournament if they slack off
  • Tyson Frizell is a star. Not always thr most talented etc but jeez his effort is enormous
  • Wade Graham is a leader and no matter the Jersey colour is a great footballer
  • Jerome Luai is going to have a massive year for the Panthers next Yr if Cleary can manage him right. 
  • The young kid Nui, a broncs Jr, is pretty bloody good
  • Meninga knows what he is doing in terms of culture and pride in the Jersey. Not a good coach but a great man manager
  • NZ as always rocks or diamonds
  • England so bloody lucky
  • Jillaroos are all class and are fair superior to all others
  • Ali Briggenshaw could be the best half in the world at the moment and she should be the first women to coach within a first grade system
  • The only team that does Parramatta Stadium justice is the Eels, crowds are woeful as prices are rediculous
  • Finally, any footy at any time if year is always great

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Webby but whos Aly Bradshire and jillaro and why are you mentioning them?

Whats the story with the crowd today and last night? whats the numbers do you think?

• Women are playing aswell

Briggenshaw is the 7 for Australia and she is a very astute player

• It’s a game of who can score a solo try there’s barely and team work involved. 

Nathan brown ankle injury done for the comp 

waqa blake ankle injury should be done for the comp. 

• Waqa was shoulder or peck I think. Hopefully not bad but didn't look good. But similar to how Turbos was. 

• The Cook Islands were outstanding against an admittedly horrendous Tonga team. NZ will get better, Shaun Johnson finally looked something approaching the SJ of 2014.

• official listed crowd for last night was 12.5k

• On Blake.

After the game against Tonga, he was clutching his shoulder with the trainers walking him into the tunnel. There was talk he got injured during the last play of the game but that's where it need.

Does any1 have anymore info on him?

• Sorry thought it Was an ankle correct it’s his shoulder again but they haven’t said any more 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

My Bob replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"All the best Legend, I am also going through a complicated health journey. Remember to keep a strong mindset it is very important, "
15 minutes ago
Mike Richmond replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Is not the main part of the football club budget provided by the league's club.? I could be wrong "
19 minutes ago
paul taylor replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"Smart move by alll parties. He is not going to be Nathan CLEARY 2.0.  He might be  achance of NRL.   By going to Auckland he gets to playw ioth WEBSTER who was in teh Penrith system as know.  He plays his formative years hopefully under Johnson (…"
21 minutes ago
BEM replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"Hope it all goes well Legend. 
Chin up mate."
25 minutes ago
More…