World cup 9s insights

So watching the 9s, and it's clearly not the same level as test match footy but many of the smaller nations playing with pride and passion which is great to see. 

Firstly eels observations

• Moses - looking very much a leader and steering the boys around. Good involvement and appears to be making the most of the opportunity. Great attitude
  • Gutho - his usual self, effort is great and is keen to put in 100:. I live the bloke and although he doesn't have the gifts or ability of a Tedesco he always puts in
  • NBrown - got a shot today and appear to follow Moses and it paid off.  I think thi I'd a great opportunity for him to get a view and understanding of rep footy culture
  • Taka - in the weakest of all the Polynesian teams, Taka was a standout as the Cook Islands beat Tonga. He looked lively and involved. Interested to see if that plays a role in him resigning with the Eels or anywhere
  • Moeroa - obviously on his way to rah rah but was strong and steady for the Cook Islands
  • Sivo - where do I start... Heart says the Fiji coach didn't use him right but my head says he is believing his own hype. Not overly involved, kept coming off his wing at the wrong time and when he had the ball just tried to run over everyone. I hope that the coaching staff at the Eels get him under control and we don't see a case of second year syndrome
  • Blake - may indicate how Fiji were coached as definitely not at his best but had some good touches

Other observations 

• Australia in second gear with a 2nd or 3rd teir team still hands down the best country when it comes to league. Will only lose this tournament if they slack off
  • Tyson Frizell is a star. Not always thr most talented etc but jeez his effort is enormous
  • Wade Graham is a leader and no matter the Jersey colour is a great footballer
  • Jerome Luai is going to have a massive year for the Panthers next Yr if Cleary can manage him right. 
  • The young kid Nui, a broncs Jr, is pretty bloody good
  • Meninga knows what he is doing in terms of culture and pride in the Jersey. Not a good coach but a great man manager
  • NZ as always rocks or diamonds
  • England so bloody lucky
  • Jillaroos are all class and are fair superior to all others
  • Ali Briggenshaw could be the best half in the world at the moment and she should be the first women to coach within a first grade system
  • The only team that does Parramatta Stadium justice is the Eels, crowds are woeful as prices are rediculous
  • Finally, any footy at any time if year is always great

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Moses won the game against the Kiwis in the final! Yet Kevvy (I'm a Queenslander) couldn't give him that much credit but rather focussed on Fafita ( who was great) but Moses was far better! Kevvy is just a typical Queenslander!

• What about ponga, I thought he was ordinary all tournament but kevy was carrying on about him as if he played like Moses. Moses was incredible him and Johnson were probably best 2 players in the comp

• Teflon ponga.

Unbelievably pathetic.

• FELDT Try

I thought it was a bad stuff up during the game

But looking at the replays I think it would have been awarded by the video refs

• I really enjoyed no video ref. 

• I thought the eels combination was very good. DCE was missing in the tournament, Hunt should not make a rep side again. Hunt deffinately should not be in the test squad. Fafita is a good player however he is a bit of a hog and has a lot to learn about being a team player. Ponga was also dissapointing given this format should be his type of game. He is not a million dollar player yet. Moses was great in all aspects of the game and deserved man of the tournament

• I agree with your comments Goose especially regarding Fifita. His first offload of the tournament gave Mitch his hatrick in the Final 

Next question how soon can we sign him so that BA can put some polish on him 

• Personally if I'm Fifita's coach, I wouldn't want him thinking about passing the ball unless absolutely necessary. Just tuck it under your arm young man and swat those little ants away.

Matterson would be good, Frizell would be great, but Fifita is the one we should be going all in on. He will be the best edge forward over the next decade.

Can you imagine a right edge of Moses, Fifita, Blake & Fergo ?

Tries would be falling off trees.

• BA’s game plan for Semi and Sivo was to tuck it and score tries. Sounds like he would be an ideal coach for Fifita 

• I agree JE, it was clear that Sivo is still very raw and doesn't have great knowledge of the game or communication but he can run the ball and fend as good as anyone and been told to do just that.  A number of times he went inside when he should have stayed out or at least called inside which he doesn't appear to do.  

He is great once gets the ball but doesn't understand when to go looking for the ball either.  If he went middle of field in 9s just to get a few runs he would have created tries for Fiji but it is clear Jennings and other Parra players help in telling him when he has come in and make a run.

The test will be if he can learn this year to read  the game better and know when he is needed to make run to ease work of fowards without being told.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Prof. Daz replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Note Talagi is out of the Reggie's side for the Sunday game. Withdrawn due to injury or to avoid injury and he replaces Asi in Round 7?"
4 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Im pretty certain the plan is to play lomax at fullback at some point at a relatively early stage of his contract. Could be next year could be year after "
5 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Simonsson for me and just slot Sivo back on the wing."
13 minutes ago
KENDOZA replied to Frankie Fong's discussion A MESSAGE FROM THE FONG
"💯 Frankie,
I can't imagine what that poor bloke both of them are going through.Football at the end of the day doesn't matter those lazy pricks last night don't give two shits about the fans win or lose they still get paid.
But the poor fans fork out…"
13 minutes ago
More…