Winning Ugly...I don't like it either!

We all know and understand it but we don't readily accept it.....I could very easily take the tact of rubbishing todays effort but too many  are doing that, so I decided to look at things a little bit more optimistically.

Lets see if we can make that glass half full!

Bulldogs beat Newcastle last week and are not the worst side in the comp....Everyone will tell you there are no easy games in the NRL. Bulldogs always feel they have a game to beat  Parra and fundamentally they are right. I am sure when they play us  they have more confidence than other games against top teams.

Positives were the way we constructed the first three tries......we also held them out for the last 20 minutes which was gutsy....and beat a series of six agains against us when there was no apparent difference in our position in the rucks, it was like the ref refused to recognise our line speed.

I would also note that the first try that the dogs scored was after pushing Fergs back and forcing a drop out.....there was no way the dogs were onside when that happened.

Finally we now have had Moses back for two games and he is still finding rythmm.... I suspect we are not going to have his running game until he regains more confidence in his calf. Our other forwards that we have had out were in need of a run and we had no apparent injuries..... Ryan Matterson safely home in bed. 

RCG and Paulo continue to impress and Evans looked sound although underdone when he came on. 

The  other things  we have still not been able to address  is that we are having trouble adjusting to inconsistent interpretations of these rules,  catcher's being in the air and being interefered/ jostled .....sometimes a penalty sometimes not.....we had a few of them today. Line speed, try and talk to the ref before the game as to where his line starts, as there are mixed messages.....at least this gives/creates an awareness in the refs mind.

The rightside defence is still a mess and I notice that Dyllan Brown is not cover defending like he was.....Brown looked lost today and Sivo failed to concentrate against his opposite.

God knows where we are at, but it would be fair to say we are shaping up behind Penrith and the Storm and sitting with Roosters and slightly ahead of Canberra.

3561951097?profile=RESIZE_400x

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree so much about D Brown. I commented on this page about how he makes it to obvious when he is going to run instead of running hard into the line with others around to cause confusion amongst the defenders. I believe he will actually score many tries from this because he is deceptively very strong and can shrug of tackles. So with great momentum and the teammates acting like decoys he could be similar to when Munster and Wighton run the ball. He also sometimes can offload the ball so Gutho or someone else should be awake to that when he Brown runs.

• For me he's still growing into the position.

Decision making will improve the more footy he plays.

Another thing right now is keeping familiarity round him.Hes got a decent enough combination with Lane and Jennings and Sivo with Gutho as the 2nd receiver out the back.

All we need is better execution and that's across the board.

Moses has some issue with th8s on the other side too especially when plays break down.Its either early ball to Blake or he's running.

As an option I'd like to,see both halves float a bit so there ball playing with one another.

It seems right now the only guy that has license to float is Gutho and that's predominantly left and up the middle when teams get tired.

• Pretty hard to be critical of Gutho  not being awake Lol .....I understand what you are trying to say just the same.

PS this relates to a previous comment, not yours Coryn.

• Agree Brett - defence was the issue today; line speed was missing, limited intensity, no sting in the contact and the up & in umbrella defence style relies on cover from the halves and edge forwards which was non existent.

• I thought we went well considering we had bugger all ball in the second half . Dogs played good.we won.Yay.

• The criticism of Sivo is harsh because if he doesn’t go looking for the ball he doesn’t see it ,Mahoney seems to feed the right side so much and starves Sivo of it ,seems like brad has instructed the players not to give him the ball , wouldn’t blame him if he looks else where

• Kinghts lost to Dogs for the same reason as us in the second 1/2. Pumped in the first 40, switched off in the second and they drew us in.

• Bit strange when I have more confidence with us winning against a top 6 team over a bottom 6 team. Need more professionalism 

• Theory ?, imagine if you will, a coach tells his players  to go hard first half and lock it up, defend to win the game against a team they should beat?roosters, storm, not going overly well either, all of us playing roughly the same. Panth are over playing their hand, will run out of puff. Nice scenario, just a theory

• You don't win comps just past the half way mark, we're still winning whilst playing shit. We've got plenty of time to run into some form at the back end of this comp. IMO most importantly is that we finish in the top four

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Snake - Hells Piper replied to Brett Allen's discussion Is there anything more depressing than op shopping ?
"Yes......Womens rights and BLM....."
1 hour ago
Snake - Hells Piper replied to Embers's discussion How heavy will Newscorp go on the Broncos story?
"Im surprised the broncs handling has been so poor this year, sounds like a few of them have been putting in some extra ballwork."
1 hour ago
Slippery Eel replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 14 Team List v Dragons
"Rested smested and smeared"
5 hours ago
Snake - Hells Piper replied to Sutski's discussion Jarryd Hayne
"Probably out biting vaginas, Sutski."
5 hours ago
More…