Winning Ugly...I don't like it either!

We all know and understand it but we don't readily accept it.....I could very easily take the tact of rubbishing todays effort but too many  are doing that, so I decided to look at things a little bit more optimistically.

Lets see if we can make that glass half full!

Bulldogs beat Newcastle last week and are not the worst side in the comp....Everyone will tell you there are no easy games in the NRL. Bulldogs always feel they have a game to beat  Parra and fundamentally they are right. I am sure when they play us  they have more confidence than other games against top teams.

Positives were the way we constructed the first three tries......we also held them out for the last 20 minutes which was gutsy....and beat a series of six agains against us when there was no apparent difference in our position in the rucks, it was like the ref refused to recognise our line speed.

I would also note that the first try that the dogs scored was after pushing Fergs back and forcing a drop out.....there was no way the dogs were onside when that happened.

Finally we now have had Moses back for two games and he is still finding rythmm.... I suspect we are not going to have his running game until he regains more confidence in his calf. Our other forwards that we have had out were in need of a run and we had no apparent injuries..... Ryan Matterson safely home in bed. 

RCG and Paulo continue to impress and Evans looked sound although underdone when he came on. 

The  other things  we have still not been able to address  is that we are having trouble adjusting to inconsistent interpretations of these rules,  catcher's being in the air and being interefered/ jostled .....sometimes a penalty sometimes not.....we had a few of them today. Line speed, try and talk to the ref before the game as to where his line starts, as there are mixed messages.....at least this gives/creates an awareness in the refs mind.

The rightside defence is still a mess and I notice that Dyllan Brown is not cover defending like he was.....Brown looked lost today and Sivo failed to concentrate against his opposite.

God knows where we are at, but it would be fair to say we are shaping up behind Penrith and the Storm and sitting with Roosters and slightly ahead of Canberra.

3561951097?profile=RESIZE_400x

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Media are trying to say the dogs were robbed of a chance to win the game. Apparently sivo threw the ball out forward right on the bell even though it went out of his hands backwards 

• Like, who cares? Kick it, drop it, knock it on, fall over, no different outcome.

• I thought the ball went backwards as well. Plus since eels were never behind in the macth, they never had the urgency to score points. Thus if that obstruction call was correct and dogs were leading, eels would been playing differently.

• To be robbed for plays like that, it has to be near the end of the matches because teams attitutes and gameplans are totally different when they are winning or loosing. For example, Manly were robbed from that foward pass from a while ago cause it was in the dying moments of the game. But to say dogs were robbed from something so early in the game is just a team looking for an excuse to why they lost cause eels would of played differently for the rest of the game.

• They were robbed of a try, it was a poor decision by the video ref, but it didn't cost them the game.

• Exactly it's not the dogs fans complaining about the throw just the media doing the usual eels bashing. Ennis was so one sided with his commentary he should be sacked it was so bad. Not many dog fans are whinging about the no try in the first half but are having ago at Tolman for not taking the two points on offer when he took the quick Tapp lol.

• Yea everyone was mad at Tolman on instagram comments and the occasionaly salty fans who say robbed as usual. It could be 50-0 and people will still say they were robbed.

• What people are overlooking is the enormous posessin Bulldogs had in thr 2nd half. Either losing possession or the large number of restarts the Bulldogs had did not help. Under the circumstances I thought we defended well. Mahoney made a lt of mistakes.

We have to cut back on the number of restarts we give the oposition. There are no easy games, you only have to look at the Titans against the Roosters and Cows against Raiders.

• It was only 3-4 years ago that most of these tight games would have been losses.

I'm realistic, we are an improving club - we are NOT Melbourne or Roosters, but slowly we are closing the gap.

I'd much rather wake up Monday morning winning a close one "ugly" than losing that game.....and at the end of the year it's those wins that put you in a better position to play home finals etc....glass 3/4 full 

• 3411497484?profile=RESIZE_192X

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Snake - Hells Piper replied to Brett Allen's discussion Is there anything more depressing than op shopping ?
"Yes......Womens rights and BLM....."
21 minutes ago
Snake - Hells Piper replied to Embers's discussion How heavy will Newscorp go on the Broncos story?
"Im surprised the broncs handling has been so poor this year, sounds like a few of them have been putting in some extra ballwork."
22 minutes ago
Slippery Eel replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 14 Team List v Dragons
"Rested smested and smeared"
3 hours ago
Snake - Hells Piper replied to Sutski's discussion Jarryd Hayne
"Probably out biting vaginas, Sutski."
3 hours ago
More…