In a huge show of faith on the eve of Parramatta’s make-or-break season, the Eels have offered under pressure halfback Mitchell Moses an extension to keep him at the club until at least the end of 2023.

Moses is yet to activate an option in his favour to remain at the Eels next season, however the Herald has been told discussions have moved beyond whether Moses will be at Parramatta in 2022.

Moses has a couple of months to trigger the final year of his $750,000-a-season deal at the Eels, but the halfback has indicated to the club he sees his future in the blue and gold for the long term.

The club remains coy on the details of the extension on the table, but are hopeful of sorting out the deal before the Eels kick off their campaign against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, March 12.

Speculation was rife at the end of last year, following the Eels being toppled in the finals in straight sets, that Moses was on the outer at Parramatta.

There was even talk that the Eels and Knights were contemplating a swap deal involving Moses and Mitchell Pearce — rumours that were far from the truth.

The club has now showed its hand by moving to lock up the halfback before a ball has even been kicked in 2021, doubling down on its belief that Moses is the man to help break the club’s premiership drought.

The Eels wouldn’t be blamed for sitting back and seeing how Moses starts the year before determining its course of action, especially considering the development of coach Brad Arthur’sson, Jake in the background. The likes of Pearce, Adam Reynolds, Shaun Johnson, Anthony Milford and Jahrome Hughes are all off contract, however club powerbrokers insist Moses is their man.

Moses and halves partner Dylan Brown were both in sublime touch to start last season, but Moses was unable to rediscover the form when he returned from a calf injury that saw him sidelined for a month in the middle of the season.

The Eels won nine of their first 10 games of the season — but just four of their last nine games — with Moses in the side, culminating in their exit from the competition at the hands of South Sydney in week two of the play-offs.

Despite, doubts that have been raised over Moses’ ability to take a team to the next level, the Eels appear to have no such reservations over the 26-year-old’s ability.

The Eels have been in negotiations with Mitchell’s older brother Stephen, who has been entrusted with overseeing discussions on behalf of his cousin, deregistered agent Isaac Moses.

smh.com.au/sport/..

In other news TCT reports that every player from The Eels Harold Matthews, S.G.Ball, Jersey Flegg, Canterbury Cup & First Grade sides are training the house down in the toughest pre-season ever.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mitch Moses has proven over the years he is not all that much better than Jeff Robson. Robbo could have been called a quality half simply because he was consistent and always in there having a go, but even he knew he was nowhere near top echelon

I liked Robbo because he was a competitor, Moses is a dummy spitter who invariably fails under pressure more often than not, and seems to think people should show him respect he has not earned

Fringe rated but nowhere near a world beater.

Mitch Moses has proven over the years he is not a leader and needs a dominant half to lead him - but his ego will not allow anyone else into the team.

The only contract extension we should be discussing with him is whether he wants to take up his option for 2022.

• Mitch Moses is a far better half than Robson. The major issue with Mitch Moses is staying consistent and actually living up to his real potential. I think he holds back to protect himself from any serious long term injury.

• Which makes Robson the better player than Moses.

Robson did not hold back in fear fo anything, simply did not have the talent that many others had at that time.

Do you know what invariably happens to players who hold back in the hope avoiding serious injury? They end up getting seriously injured because they are holding back and not bracing for high impact.

• Doubtful the Eels asked for an extension. It makes more sense that Moses (Isaac) asked for it. In other words, " we want a new three year contract or Mitchell may not take up his 2022 option".  This just player agent negotiation 101 and completely normal. 
    Of course the Eels have to say 'we want Mitchell long term etc 'etc but it will be very interesting to see the details of a new deal. The third year option might be in the club's favour as an example. 

• We all had the same argument with Chris Sandow. 

With the same Jabronies defending him.

Moses is crap and so is Bushy. 

Untill there gone we have no hope. 

• Last 4 years Adam Reynolds has a 92% rate of playing football.

So to my understanding is that injury plagued. 

So what's your idea of a health player

• hey pot, meet kettle.

"Once again you have offered nothing to this discussion apart from trying to belittle us."

• No just Facts.

What your bases of your argument 

• Dreggsie, struggling a bit son?

Your comment "a bit of credibility on One Eyed Eel?"

Dreggsie, you are the one that is having his credibility tested.....you see you can attack me, everyone knows I'm an arrogant prick! but when you start going after people like Slugg, Rocky and Brissyeel you fcuk yourself.......Wongy would break you in two and Daz, who is Slugg's best mate would have you before the board and expelled from the union.......Snake and Fong....you don't want to go there trust me on that one!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Tin Tim replied to Blue Eel's discussion The Truth Hurts: Article
"Robbo at the Roosters seem to be left alone after 4yrs of lame years. Well aware he won comps but his roster is still top notch roster. This year they are struggling with injuries, I think the Dragons will win today & the Eels Friday night. Knights…"
35 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"I suppose you're one of the idiots who wanted Sanders to hang around for 4/5 yes to get the opportunity to be a 1st grade regular."
5 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"Yup, woke = broke.   Once upon a time Thursday night meant nothing but Footy show night in most households I knew. As soon as she turned up even as a " reporter " it was doomed. It lost all credibility and you couod just tell that the show that was…"
6 hours ago
LB replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"Frankie do you think they will have mural with a candle when BA is gone from the club? Perhaps place some flowers at Kellyville while whispering "We appreciate you".
Legit BA could be driving and drive onto the pathway hitting and killing one of…"
6 hours ago
More…