Of late weve been in great positions to put big scores on opposition who are nowhere near our class, but weve been fading in the back end of games.

Whats your opinion of why this is happening after a good start to the season?

Mental?

Fitness?

The use of the bench and selection?

Injury?

Mid season slump?

All of the above?

Genuinely interested to hear peoples opinions.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We're actually one of the best second half teams in the competition. The Dogs game was our worst second half of the season but in virtually every other game, our second halves have won us those games. It's most definitely not a fitness issue but a mentality issue on Sunday.

Still pretty confident we'll beat Cronulla. They leaked easy points against the Broncos. It's just about us not doing stupid things that put us under pressure. Give us 50-50 possession and we'll beat almost any side in the competition.

• I think we have plateaued at the moment our last month has not been good and our attack is predictable.

The good thing is we have only lost 1 game and snuck home against the knights and Dogs 

Hopefully last weekend was a wake up call

• Funnily, Sterlo used the same word “plateaued” in his assessment of the Eels.

He must be reading your posts.

• Great minds

• I think our issues with attack are obvious but given our team makeup is hard to fix . 

1. Reed is throwing 20 metre passes to either Brown or Moses . Because he does it 98% of the time the defence can set up on the halves and jam in and make Moses kick or push passes earlier . Brown tends to run it back into the line without too much purpose or deception.     Reed needs to dart off at least once every few sets and create a little bit of indecision to give the halves options . 

2. Briown needs to straighten up and bite in to the line or give it straight away . Running a few paces then giving it creates overcrowding in the backline .   Even consider the old out the back play to gutho to cut Jennings and pick up Sivo. 

3.  Sivo is acting like a finisher . He needs to come in and look for an inside ball or trail junior to create some anxiety in the defence line . 

4. we are fading partly due to the fatigue of defending sets after sets .  Defence is still best in comp but we are being exposed with waqa and Fergo .  Matto will tighten it up this week . 

5. we could also be in the middle of the hard training block that could be flattening the team.  Once this block is finished we will definitely finish stronger and the fitness and training is in the  " bank " so as you say . 

we need to win the next two games and get back into the mind set of patience and working teams over.  We are still in good shape . 

• I also think it's partly due to the other teams being fitter now than earlier rounds . Earlier rounds we came back fit compared to many teams and powered home 2nd half now they have caught up and same not happening as much 

• Flat spots in a long uninterrupted season are normal, we are winning games, that's what matters for now, the finals are playered 2 months from now that's when you want to be at your best which we wil be - think Melbourne Cup prep.

• Up until the Dogs game it's our second halves that have been better.

• Of all the years BA has been with us, he has never, ever instilled a killer instinct. If we end up winning by plenty it's only because the other team gave up. So it has to be a mental thing above all else. Maybe the players don't want to spend more energy than they have to because they know it's a long season and remaining fit is important. If they think they've won the game maybe they're just happy to cruise to the finish line? There's some validity in that I argument I suppose but I think it's more likely they just want it easy and don't like the hard work. Other than RCG and Brown who of our players actually enjoy the collision?

The only way they'll snap of out it is if we get thrashed. We haven't been badly beaten this year which is not like us. There's always one horror performance in us each year. Getting thrashed by Manly last year was the wake up call which was the final straw for BA if you'll remember. Wouldn't be surprised if a shocker isn't too far off. Could be against the Sharks this week they've got lots of points in them.

• Gray Fox are you suggesting that a thrashing at full strength is a good idea? 

I'm pretty sure the coaches and team are aware that the 2nd half wasn't good enough and I don't think dropping 30 or 40 points in the for/against column is the answer, our finisg in the top 2 or 4 could come down to points +/- 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I am losing a little patience with Greig. I like him, but he has shown he is prone to injuries, wonder if that is due to size, and fitness problems. Greig is a talent and can be a great Prop in the game, but with the bench the way it is he may get…"
1 minute ago
"He has played the last two weeks, how long does he need to get fitness? Plus at this stage of his development he shouldn't have to take a month to get match fit."
4 minutes ago
"Suaalii is going to Rugby or staying at Easts."
6 minutes ago
Strange-eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Suaalii is over rated.
 "
8 minutes ago
More…