Which players need to step up ?

For mine it's Daniel Alvaro. Enough of this initial prop development prodigy. Alvaro should be at his absolute peak at the age of 25/26, and it's time to shape up or cut him.

Alvaro whilst being a very good working prop, really needs to ramp up his aggressive running. He rarely dominates the opposition on set starts and for mine, he isn't the aggressive dominator we need as a starting prop, meaning at the moment he is a bench player at best. I wouldn't be offering Alvaro any more than 220k, and unless he improves to the next level, Parramatta shouldn't be competing for his signature.

There's also enough coming through with Utoikamanu, Faainga  and Kahfusi to cover our future bench positions.

Alvaro has a similar body shape to James Graham, but needs to mentally step up to the plate or start looking elsewhere. He wouldn't look out of place in a Krispy Cream apron for mine.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think he's developing nicely, he was amongst our best this year, and whilst that might not mean a whole lot, I think he's going along quite well.

He does his job and he does it well. Not every player is meant to be a future immortal, and not every middle forward has to be a dominator.

To pick on him in isolation, or any middle forward for that matter is short sighted in the extreme.

I doubt you could afford to pay him even that much.

• Yep!

• He doesn't do his job as to what's required for a team's forward pack to dominate the opposition. If you want an average pack, Alvaro is your man.
      He needs to improve greatly in order to gain that respect
      • No one middle forward can do that for a team, and every team of any quality has it's foot soldiers. I'm not suggesting he should be getting Taumalolo money, clearly he is not or ever will be in that class, but he is a rock solid NRL calibre middle forward. Every team in the league has several Alvaro types on their roster, including the Roosters & Storm.

• Who at the roosters  ?

• Alvaro is a poor mans Tim Glasby.

• Dylan Napa performed worse in all stats, run metres, post contact metres, offloads and tackle busts.  Napa's defence is also poor so there is 1 rooster Alvaro outperforms in every field yet not given the wraps.  Napa makes 1 good run a game and a few big tackles that people remember so they think he has impact.  

Alvaro had more tackle breaks then jared warea hargreaves, more offloads as well this season.  Stats aren't everything however remembering big hits or runs is misleading as well.  A balanced view of both is needed and the fact roosters had stars who step up when others don't perform makes people overlook their poor performances where Alvaro's good performances are overlooked as parra lose.

A player can make 2 explosive runs which are remembered however I would prefer Alvaro who is consistent throughout the game every game.  Although stats would suggest he is more explosive then others but it is overlooked  His defence is up there or above rep fowards for tackle efficiency as well so he holds his own in the line.

Alvaro 19 games, 24 tackle breaks, 753 post contact metres, 15 offloads and 93.1% tackle efficiency. 

• Those middle forward stats reveal a SOO standard workhorse both in defence and attack. 

• check and mate

• Takeiaho would be my equivalent of an Alvaro type does a similar job.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael Ericson replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We aren't as desperate for lomax as the media are making out. I posted on here at the end of last year that I was told we probably wouldn't be going into the market for outside backs because we were going to be blooding  players from the SG ball…"
5 minutes ago
Bup replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sofa -Solomona wouldn't go to the Dragons, Warriors want to replace Fonua -Blake the moneys the same and if he leaves the Storm the most likely destination.
The Dragons are on the nose to quality players he'd prefer the dogs or dolphins over…"
10 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Clubs monitoring status of Jake Arthur
"Really ? Ok 
if he was Bellamy's son yeh I can understand that assumption by people .... I don't get this one lol sorry "
10 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If we are paying 400k for a player of Simonsson's limited abilities then a high quality player like Lomax is definitely worth 600k+"
11 minutes ago
More…