What would you do

What are the first 3 things you would change or implement if you wetter the new NRL CEO?

For me it would be ;

1. Revert back to one referee
  2. Introduce the "captains call". Each team gets 2 calls per half and can be used at any stoppage in play. Reducing video technology to scoring plays only as in grounding and not professional could etc
  3. Introduce a draft system. Mid seasons trade period

Bonus- relocation of 2 sydney teams. One to central NSW and the other to central QLD

What would be your 3?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Captain challenge would be worse thing to bring in.  With bunker making so many controversial decisions, a team would most likely lose their challenge on a bad call then have no protection for another call during the match and be punished again as they would be unable to review genuine mistakes against them. Look at the ashes and uproar with so many incorrect decisions with some reviews lost by bad calls by video ref.  Leave video ref rules as they are but get competent people in the bunker. Maybe make decisions quicker though. The bunker should be looking at replays as soon as a player crosses the line regardless if called for or not.  Line the kick up during the review process as well to minimise time taken without play.

Stop play clock when ball out of play after finding touch.  Only restart after ball fed to scrum.  Also stop it after a try and dont start till kick off after conversion.  Then scoring team kicks off.  Would mean team that just scored may be willing risk short kick off and create genuine contest for ball.  Or it would stop massive periods of up to 10mins with 1 team not getting chance to touch the ball.

Get out of channel 9 deal and get TV station willing to commentate the game to current rules not rules the commentators wish were in place.  Also share the free to air game more fairly.  Even if cost a little bit of total tv deal as it will be better for game long term and help build fanbase.  If teams like titans had more exposure and free to air games they would sell more sponsorship, get better players and then compete instead of struggle like cowboys did until they jagged JT as an interchange player before he became one of the games greats. 

• The answer with broadcasting is to break the games rights into smaller packages. Atomise the rights as much as practical and then auction off the individual packages to all bidders.

For example ...

Thursday Night Footy on 9

Friday Night footy on 9

Saturday on Foxtel

Saturday Night footy on 10

Sunday afternoon footy on 7

Sunday Night Footy on 10

etc

The more you atomise the rights, the better overall value you get with the league able to retain scheduling rights. 

• 1. Split the structure of the game into two components, the Premiership to be run by the clubs & the Pathways to be administered centrally by the Commission. 

2. Completely overhaul the CBA with the players to include a rookie draft, soft cap, restricted free agency, player trades & publishing player salaries.

3. Restructure the season to include a proper preseason, shorter regular season, dedicated mid season rep window and a get rid of the second chance in the playoffs. You lose you go home.

• 1 referee

no bunker

no interchange

• Change golden point

Both teams receive 1 competition  point after 80mins then they are playing for a golden point.

Get rid of 2 refs bring back in goal judges thats means 4 officials including touchies to help the ref.

Bring back the tap and go if there is no marker.

Personally i hate Thursday footy id bring back monday footy.

Keep the 9s but make it a regional game and each year take the comp to a country area. 

• Offside, definitely get rid of golden point; 1 pt each team; they have had 80 mins to win the match. and the Thursday football too; get rid of it. But $$$ dictates.

• 1. No Competition committee etc. coaches can put in applications to ammend rules but no coaches on such committees.

2. One referee; and keep current system of video as nothing better there; referees to have one policy of speaking to captains once only about a decision during break in play and thats it and refereeing to players as Capt or numbers.

3. Draft period before season begins and at end.

4. Judicary to have one ex-player only; and halve the fines and increase matches for penalites. I.e. gouges / tripping should be mandatory 2-3 wks min.

• Remove TPA & all payments to players to be looked over by NRL, working closely with taxation. Try and make this game even again.

Slacken the shoulder charge rule to front on hits ok. Meaning if a player is running at the defence it would be acceptable. No blind side shoulder charges! 

One on one fighting would be only a penalty and move on. No send off, no judiciary. Would stop a lot of niggle. 

Try and get this game back to where this game was before Super League, greed & dopes took over. 

• 1:  Single referee, meaning that the touch judges also make the line for on and offside and call out offside.   The Touch judges have a defined roll and should be made to make the calls they are supposed to.

2:   Get rid of Golden point. At end of 80 minutes and the scores are tied, then one point to each team.

3:  Make scrums and play the ball contestable, meaning the halfback has to feed the ball into the scum in the middle, the ball to be rolled in squarely and not behind the 2nd rowers as it norm now.

4:  A big need is for the NRL to make a call on the wandering water bottle coaches.  The only time they should be on the field is for an injury and to treat a player and check for HIA, then he has to run off.

I would also like to see transperency in the area of TPA's. A club should have a list of busineses who are interested in sponsorin a player, all set a price point by the NRL as a maximum amount allowed for the club and every TPA has to be approved by the NRL, & the club.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Tad, there used to be rules as to what the touch judges were there for, I am sure they are still pretty much the same, but they simply ignore a lot as the game moves past them.  What was the game this year when a touch judge stood on the line with his flag up but the game continued and a try was scored, how did that happen? The touch judge was ignored by  refs, players and officials there, in the end the touchie dropped his flag and ran the line, had to to go behind the posts.  What would have happened had he stood his ground???

The on field refs are wired up, but are the touchies?  I don't think so but they should be if they see indiscretions, and the like, when they do they should stop with flag raised and call on the main ref or the bunker who can relay the touch judges call to the refs.

Old days had the refs with their flags pointed inward to the field of play to show where the defence line should be, IIRC one would do the line for the defence and the other would be there for the attacking team so they were not offside.  How many of them now keep up with the game where the ball is?

I am not sure about the 5 minute sin bin, I can remember when it was in operation before, and it really seemed to achieve nothing really, as a side could slow the game down in the play the ball and line kicking that had the binned player off for sometimes only 2 tackle sets,, hardly enough time to have a leak.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Two points we won't get back!...... Arse Kicking time and no one should miss out!
"Hmmm, those question's you ask Hoe, have all been asked before and we think we have addressed them but your question's and the circumstances of the breakdown of the left edge really are still not known..... I think that's  where your coming from and…"
17 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion NRL Annesley weekly briefing Round 2
"Who goes around bloody hoping ???!!!!
we have to have some agency to make ourselves heard no matter what it costs imo "
17 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion NRL Annesley weekly briefing Round 2
"Someone needs to be making it happen and ASAP it's bordering on beyond ridiculous that we just keep being happy to accept this situation season after season 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️"
18 minutes ago
Angry Eel replied to Axel's discussion Parramatta Eels enter race for Dragons youngster
"I think we need someone that adds something that we don't already have..... speed, with the new downtown rule, teams that can attack from the back are going to be pretty lethal I reckon. Gutho has great ball playing vision, so if he had someone…"
20 minutes ago
More…