Firstly let me say that I hope you are all in good health and that that you are coping well in the current situation . 

Soon I will be posting a blog about all the bullshit and self interest that went on at the club and how it will have a lasting effect . I will also  be posting a blog where  I will be offering members of this site who I actually like the opportunity to get into their first home because underneath it all I'm one of life's true Angel's , i just hate dorks , lefties , dipshits and cunts . 

The mighty eels have once again been the most hyped up team in the comp and if they can live  up to the hype as always is the million dollar question . 

When you year the so called experts talk about the eels chances one of  the mains things they bring up is the flogging they gave to the Broncos last year , yet they never bring.up the most important game the eels played which was the semi against the Storm . 

It's almost as if the game never happened and all that is ever mentioned is the Broncos game . The Broncos were a crap side and statistically were  one of the worst sides to ever make the 8 plus playing Pokies till 3am on game day didn't help , against the Storm the following week the eels were humiliated and were made to look like a park footy teem in all facets of the game  and yet again showed how far behind the team and it's players are from the elite level.

Over the years under Brad Arthur the eels have shown that they 

1. Buckle under pressure and have zero mental toughness and the ability to handle even the slightest bit of adversity in a game .

2. Have piss poor defence .

3. Have a attacking game that is one of the easiest to defend against and is predominantly based on kicks , how many times over the years have we seen the eels with all the possession and field position and fail to score ? Phil Gould summed up the the eels attack perfectly in the storm game when he said it was as if the storm knew what the eels attack was going to do before Parra did . 

The eels other problem is that they have no leadership , Gutherson is the captain yet he is one the chief culprits who collapses and buckles when the pressure is on and that is not captain material .  The eels have to many players who have shown they can't  perform against the Elite sides . 

Hopefully with John's at he club he's been able to change some things because we know BA can't  , for most of the players John's will be the first person they have had who actually has a footy brain guiding them . 

Going by what I saw last year , if the Broncos turn up the eels will struggle but I hope I'm wrong . 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can we have another negative blog next week Fong?

• Sure thing  JEELman , I'll make it all about you so we can get really negative . 

• That might just be too overwhelmingly negative which could lead to depressive episodes.

• Think ya got dusted bud.

• Throwing 

• Eels are a different proposition this year. They are actually a defence oriented side and their defence has impressed me. The thing about the eels is that when you get their defence right, like Smith did a few times when he was coach, our attack looks after itself. We have way too many skilful players not to eventually put on points. 

• Yep, you were wrong. Eels played with confidence, looked good in attack and defence.

But no real pressure put on them in the 2nd half. They had a lot of ball.

• TBH, I'm looking forward to hearing from Fong as to why the Eels have had a traditional culture problem. I think it's unarguable that we have had one. 

I've looked at admin, coaches, players, facilities etc - but, as Jack Gibson always said, a "fish rots from its head". 

I have to exercise an abundance of caution here, but, I have had legal dealings with another club where it has been obvious that problems exist at management level - and they have trickled down to the playing group with some pretty indifferent results. 

Yet, that club recently won a comp.

I don't agree with Fong that our coach is a 'bush coach'. I would agree that he falls into a coaching category that focuses more on player development and less on strategy and tactics. You look at coaches like Robbo, Siebold and Bellamy and they do appear to be coaches that run a very planned and structured programme. 

Conversely, you've got blokes like Bennett, Stuart, Maguire and Hasler who obtain results through psychology. Whilst I won't put BA in the same class as Bennett and Hasler, I do think he falls into their category.  

It's clear that both approaches can bear fruit. But what stumps me is that Parra have always been a total outlier in that they've not been able to meet expectations in the past, no matter who coaches us or the approach taken.

Tonight's game was a happy surprise for me. I really didn't think we'd win tonight - but - I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

From a footy perspective, our performances will always be there for all to see, but, the back of house is something we never get to see and Fong seems to think he knows something that we don't know. I'll be keen to hear what it is.

I'm watching this space.

• Patience for me not trying to get everything off of every set.

Build a game around thee above.

Have patience knowing that if you take juice out of a team not having to score every set understanding that the dividend will be at the backend of the game.

We saw a good example of this last night.They virtually strangled and beat the Bronc's to death last night.

Also this loosens the middle and allows Moses & Brown more leeway to play what they see.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Muttman replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"He's a goer for sure. Runs really hard and enjoys the contact. He's an upgrade on Sivo for sure "
17 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Boy, could we do with a winger and a back up fullback? What do you reckon Bradley, could he be a back up? Is he better than say Lume lumie. some of those other first graders currently playing in reggies?
Actually I know fcuk all about him. just a…"
19 minutes ago
Axel posted a discussion
Why Friday's clash with the Dolphins might be a tipping point for Arthur and the EelsMike Meehall WoodEditorROAR Friday night’s clash between Parramatta and the Dolphins is likely to be a hot one – and not just because the game is being held in the…
27 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Listen clearly Bradley.....I know that's what your mother used to say, and of course I understand that mum was very strict with you....
But I did not mention lateral movement, I actuallly said he is a good mover that shows promise, poor defensively…"
32 minutes ago
More…