Firstly let me say that I hope you are all in good health and that that you are coping well in the current situation . 

Soon I will be posting a blog about all the bullshit and self interest that went on at the club and how it will have a lasting effect . I will also  be posting a blog where  I will be offering members of this site who I actually like the opportunity to get into their first home because underneath it all I'm one of life's true Angel's , i just hate dorks , lefties , dipshits and cunts . 

The mighty eels have once again been the most hyped up team in the comp and if they can live  up to the hype as always is the million dollar question . 

When you year the so called experts talk about the eels chances one of  the mains things they bring up is the flogging they gave to the Broncos last year , yet they never bring.up the most important game the eels played which was the semi against the Storm . 

It's almost as if the game never happened and all that is ever mentioned is the Broncos game . The Broncos were a crap side and statistically were  one of the worst sides to ever make the 8 plus playing Pokies till 3am on game day didn't help , against the Storm the following week the eels were humiliated and were made to look like a park footy teem in all facets of the game  and yet again showed how far behind the team and it's players are from the elite level.

Over the years under Brad Arthur the eels have shown that they 

1. Buckle under pressure and have zero mental toughness and the ability to handle even the slightest bit of adversity in a game .

2. Have piss poor defence .

3. Have a attacking game that is one of the easiest to defend against and is predominantly based on kicks , how many times over the years have we seen the eels with all the possession and field position and fail to score ? Phil Gould summed up the the eels attack perfectly in the storm game when he said it was as if the storm knew what the eels attack was going to do before Parra did . 

The eels other problem is that they have no leadership , Gutherson is the captain yet he is one the chief culprits who collapses and buckles when the pressure is on and that is not captain material .  The eels have to many players who have shown they can't  perform against the Elite sides . 

Hopefully with John's at he club he's been able to change some things because we know BA can't  , for most of the players John's will be the first person they have had who actually has a footy brain guiding them . 

Going by what I saw last year , if the Broncos turn up the eels will struggle but I hope I'm wrong . 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looking at the Eels history since the 80's there have only been a few coaches that have taken the Eels into the Finals (correct me if wrong) and they were Daniel Anderson, Brian Smith and Brad Arthur. In my opinion the only coach out of them 3 which had his side control the hype from the media was Daniel Anderson in 2009. Anderson didn't come across as a nervous coach whereas Smith ( as good as he was) always appeared nervous as does Arthur in the important games like in the Finals or against favoured sides. The 2009 side wasn't in the finals just on the brilliance of Hayne but because Anderson didnt take any crap..Its unfortunate that the Storm cheated otherwise the Eels would had their first premiership since 1986 back in 2009.

• Yep I have to agree with you there Monto

Smith feared choking , Arthur too green and reliant on talent . Anderson was pragmatic , and solid .

• Shame he got booted! I kind of liked Anderson's qualities as a coach. Had some grit about him.

• Monto Parramatta is a club that  only had success with outsiders , The most successful coach we have had was Gibson who was a roosters man and the next most successful was Smith who was a dragons man , all the so called "Parra men " have all been bums . 

Then you have club's like manly who only have success when a manly man is coach .

• Was John monie a parra man ?

• Kenny, I think Monie was from Cronulla. 

• True Frankie, have to agree. I hope it changes though, but Brad Arthur does have a nervousness about him even in the media talks after games you can sense the nervousness even after a win. 

• The talk about the game against the Broncos was because we are playing the Broncos this week, plus the Eels v Broncos is always a high profile game. There is a reason the Broncos always request a home game against the Eels every year.

But I'll respond to your points one at a time.

1) There is no question the Eels have still got to prove they can do it on the biggest occasion, no one is debating that. But to suggest that we buckle under any kind of pressure or aren't a mentally tougher team now than we were when BA took over is nonsense. We are consistently winning tighter games now, certainly much more so than in than in the past. It's still a work in progress, particularly against Melbourne, but that is the case for most teams in the league. The Storm have been the gold standard for 15 years now, we aren't the only team to have a mental hurdle to overcome against them.

2) Again there is no question that our attack is our strongest suit, but our defence is not piss poor. There are elements of it that need improving, no question, in particularly on our line in the middle of the park. We do have a tendency to let in soft tries to big units near the vicinity of the posts far too often, but again, our defence has improved out of sight since BA took over. I don't think you remember how bad our defence was during the SK & RS era. It was diabolical. Now it is just suspect.

3) Our attack is one of the most potent in the league, with only the Roosters & Storm scoring more tries & points than we did in 2019. I don't know who you've been watching Frankie, or what you're seeing, but we were the number one attacking team from outside the opposition 20 in the league in 2019. No team was better at constructing long range tries than we were and they weren't as the result of kicks. We've got arguably the most potent backline in the league. Do we struggle to score when teams are defending their own line ? Yes. Teams defend their own line with 12, sometimes even all 13 players these days. It's almost impossible to breakdown a team like the Storm or Roosters on their own line for this reason. Every team struggles to breakdown teams defending their own line. 

Our attacking stats for 2019 .... 

3rd in points

3rd in tries

4th in possession share

13th in set completion

11th in supports

12th in line engagements

6th in linebreaks

6th in post contact metres

10th in tackle breaks

14th in decoy runs

4th in all run metres

6th in total runs

1st in offloads

4th in try assists

6th in linebreak assists

Those numbers indicate what we already know, that our attack is multifaceted and is focused on offloads & second phase play. We score a higher proportion of our tries from long distance than other teams because of our firepower out wide.

• This is a different year and a better team. You can't compare to last year, and certainly bringing skeletons from the deep past out of the closet is not helpful to anyone.

Parra is well set fir this season, but it will tske a mighty effort to make it a successful season, especially given the situations.

• Up the mighty  eels!  Running hard and fast.  Throughing heaps at the broncos  defence.  Putting big hits on Em! This blog is invalid 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Graham polkinghorne replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
" We needed lomax before Talagi came on the scene. If a crystal ball would show us Blaize turns out to be an excellent centre, we would not be chasing Lomax.
Would Blaize hang around for 2 seasons to cement a FG spot?
Lomax would be worth every penny…"
1 minute ago
Seth hardy replied to Avon Barksdale's discussion NRL admits bunker got it wrong on roosters obstruction call
"I said in a previous post that common sense has gone out the window with refereeing  today. There  all basically clones to a system. In other words they are as dumb as dog shit. "
5 minutes ago
Pork Rind replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I think Lomax hanging around with Corey Norman too much  while he was there. We don't need anymore of these players in our team"
24 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Frank, Gus highly recommends The Dynasty in Belmore, as having sublime Chinese to die for."
24 minutes ago
More…