6754572878?profile=RESIZE_710xRound 12 is a special point in the NRL calendar, as Eels utility Will Smith knows too well.

It’s Indigenous Round.

“It just makes me very proud to be an Indigenous man. It’s one of those weekends where we get to celebrate our culture,” he said.

The Parramatta Eels will play the Bulldogs wearing specially designed jerseys by Aboriginal artist Danielle Mate Sullivan, with input from Will.

“The artwork is called connection so it’s about a connection between the past and the present,” Danielle said.

“I’m absolutely rapt with it. The colours are so intense and there’s so much to look at on it.”

Eels' "pride" in 2020 Indigenous Jersey

One of the more special features on the jersey is on the back.

“My favourite (part) would be just down the back there, there’s four hands. Two of the hands are my two kids of two of the hands are Fergo’s two kids. I think it’s just a great touch, they’ll love that,” Will said.

“My kids are very proud to be Indigenous. My daughter goes to a school here in Parramatta and she is the only Indigenous kid at the whole school and she is very proud to tell everyone at the school that she is Indigenous,” he said.

img_7368.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

The large circle on the front of the jersey represents the meeting place for the players/warriors of the game, while the line to the top is a journey line to the players’ homelands.

The smaller circles are a nod to communities the Eels visit and work with.

“The past is represented by the warrior and the Parramatta River. The Burramattagal people, who are a clan of the Darug, have a connection to this river where they first settled and caught fish, eels and other sources of food,” Danielle said.

Colours from the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Flags feature on the sides of the jersey.

img_7377.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

“I can’t wait to see all the players with the jersey on run out onto the field ... That will be a really proud moment,” Danielle said.

“For an organisation as big as the NRL to acknowledge and to celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is huge,” she said.

Blake hopes the Round will not only bring Indigenous culture to the forefront, but also prompt important conversations.

“Everyone’s equal, everyone bleeds the same, so just hopefully we can get that across the board and get that local knowledge into everyone about elders past, present and future. There are conversations to be had,” he said.

You can purchase the 2020 Eels Indigenous Jersey here and see more of Danielle Mate Sullivan's work at her website

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I dunno, Frank. It seems you feel you need to shut people up so that you can get on with YOUR life? And I mean that literally. It's like you can't go about your business unless you deride others for having their own issues. Maybe Aboriginals see things different to you, and me too, and I'm wondering what the relation is between silencing them and us carrying on with our lives? I personally don't experience any reduction in my freedom because some other group has a beef. 

• Mate stop being an apologist for your white ancestry (I'm assuming you're white) and start dealing with more important issues like the possibility of a depression and everyone being on the dole queue soon - this aboriginal cry me a river equality bullshit will once again fade into obscurity simply because it's not important to 99.5% of Australians when they will be more worried about their own lives and own survival.

• Frank I'm not apologizing fot my ancestry. I'm white, with one side French background (they mostly lost their heads for being aristocratic dickwads) and the other convicts (smart folk who stole bread for a free trip out of the UK muck). 

Ironically, I agree with you on the big issue being impending depression. Where I disagree is that I don't think it helps anyone to dismiss a whole group of people with a very old issue they say is unresolved. Nor am I with you on just looking out for our own. Of course I won't change your mind on that last one, even while I stay gainfully employed and my taxes help bail out all the failed conservatives crying for government handouts. 

• Half French hahaha, well that explains a heck of a lot Daz.

• You mean that I really like vin rouge and know how to pronounce shiraz?

• What's wrong with Aboriginals wanting Equality? I'm Aboriginal and im the same as anyone on this site, im employed, pay my taxes, own my house, so frank because of the colour of my skin I can't be equal? We are honestly good people, if you came to any aboriginals place anyome will be welcomed no matter what. That's our culture, but no one heres the positive stuff like that.

Also, no one is asking you to apologise for "conquering" Australia, Kevin Rudds apology was for the stolen generation, what's so bad that our nation understood the needs to right the wrongs of the past, it's simply reconciliation, and that's how we evolve even more as a nation.

And yes Frank I expect you to kneel every day. Like seriously mate, I sorry if this is insulting you sound like a dweeb.

As for the jersey, it's busy because it tells the story of Parramatta, Parramatta River and the eels, even has the old parramatta logo on it.

• The more I learn about aboriginal culture the more amazing I find it - I really love all the belonging about it , and the listening aspect to it . 

• Well said, Dean

• Mate what are you carrying on about? 

You work - yeah?

You own your home - yeah?

You pay taxes - yeah?

Well as far as I can tell you are being treated equally. I'm in the exact same boat as you, except I'm white.....

No one is saying you aren't entitled to being treated equally, what I'm saying is that we are still talking about what happened 230/240 years ago as if it has anything to do with today's Australian population. 

If the Aboriginal people move on so will the rest of the population because from where I sit, they aren't after equality, they are after special treatment. And that's the essence of the problem. True equality is EVERYONE being treated equally, not some people receiving special treatment because of ones heritage, skin colour or religion.

• "Aboriginal first land owners cry me a river story."  Geez, you really are an insensitive privileged person. I'd love to see you say those words to indigenous elders, to the stolen generation and our own indigenous players in person. You wouldn't because you'd rather be a keyboard hero.

Yes, other countries have gone through the same. But take New Zealand - the respect the entire country has for it's indigenous people is something to admire.

Attitude like yours is what's holding this country back.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
4 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
5 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
5 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
5 hours ago
More…