6754572878?profile=RESIZE_710xRound 12 is a special point in the NRL calendar, as Eels utility Will Smith knows too well.

It’s Indigenous Round.

“It just makes me very proud to be an Indigenous man. It’s one of those weekends where we get to celebrate our culture,” he said.

The Parramatta Eels will play the Bulldogs wearing specially designed jerseys by Aboriginal artist Danielle Mate Sullivan, with input from Will.

“The artwork is called connection so it’s about a connection between the past and the present,” Danielle said.

“I’m absolutely rapt with it. The colours are so intense and there’s so much to look at on it.”

Eels' "pride" in 2020 Indigenous Jersey

One of the more special features on the jersey is on the back.

“My favourite (part) would be just down the back there, there’s four hands. Two of the hands are my two kids of two of the hands are Fergo’s two kids. I think it’s just a great touch, they’ll love that,” Will said.

“My kids are very proud to be Indigenous. My daughter goes to a school here in Parramatta and she is the only Indigenous kid at the whole school and she is very proud to tell everyone at the school that she is Indigenous,” he said.

img_7368.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

The large circle on the front of the jersey represents the meeting place for the players/warriors of the game, while the line to the top is a journey line to the players’ homelands.

The smaller circles are a nod to communities the Eels visit and work with.

“The past is represented by the warrior and the Parramatta River. The Burramattagal people, who are a clan of the Darug, have a connection to this river where they first settled and caught fish, eels and other sources of food,” Danielle said.

Colours from the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Flags feature on the sides of the jersey.

img_7377.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

“I can’t wait to see all the players with the jersey on run out onto the field ... That will be a really proud moment,” Danielle said.

“For an organisation as big as the NRL to acknowledge and to celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is huge,” she said.

Blake hopes the Round will not only bring Indigenous culture to the forefront, but also prompt important conversations.

“Everyone’s equal, everyone bleeds the same, so just hopefully we can get that across the board and get that local knowledge into everyone about elders past, present and future. There are conversations to be had,” he said.

You can purchase the 2020 Eels Indigenous Jersey here and see more of Danielle Mate Sullivan's work at her website

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with all of that - how could I not - it's factual. But that's not the point for me - I know they were conscripted but, as you say, they were still brave men - heroes. I know they weren't even remotely as versed as we are on what they were doing, what was transpiring and what had transpired. That's all part of their legacy really. They were innocents in it all.

For me the above doesn't matter. I'm comfortable with the ANZAC legend and hold a deep respect for them and it. I have the same respect for your Grandad mate - I'm not concerned with the hows and whys of why he found himself where he was, on a human level I just respect his bravery and sacrifice. And I'm thankfull too.

Of course, that doesn't mean I can't respect Indigenous heritage, culture and past or present injustices or any other attrocities (including war attrocities) for that matter. Like you, I don't see being an ANZAC supporter or a supporter of other what some (but not me) call "leftie" issues as mutually exclusive.  

• Unclear what you're saying here, Kram. Turkey was neutral through WWII until the final year when they sided with the Allies. In WWI they reluctantly sided with Germany. Hence Gallipoli. 

• I'm talking about the Turkish people that attend the ANZAC Day ceremonies in Turkey (and the French folk in France fo that matter).

I've been to both, Turkey most recently - 2 years ago. I don't know if you've had the opportunity to attend but it's well worth it if you haven't. The Turks are wonderful people.

• Yes, Kram, Turkey is awesome. I still know the way to a great cafe in the Karakoy neighborhood overlooking the Bosphorous. 
                      I'm just wondering if you're talking about the more liberal Turks who talk about the futility of bloody conflict, or the Turk who said last year that any Australian attending the Gallipoli ceremony and who made anti-Muslim remarks would be sent home in a coffin like their forefathers? I think his name was Recap Erdogen. 

• That sounds like a sweet cafe. Turkish coffee - man, parradise (Islamic or otherwise!)

I'm talking about the Turks I've met, liberal I assume. I couldn't care less about that fuckwit running his mouth - he can go suck a fat one :)

Islamic Turks are fantastic. Extremists of any persuasion aren't my cup of tea (or Turkish coffee!)

• Turkish coffee and apple tea...better get used to both if your going. I had the great pleasure of spending some time there a while back. Came in from Iran and travelled the entire breadth across the other side. Spent the first night under Mount Arrarat (Doğubayazıt) down to Bodrim, Kusadasi, Side, Goreme (bought a fabulous carpet) , Pammakali, Cannakali...and the food, coffee and people were all magnificent. Not one issue. It is impossible to speak when you arrive at Anzac Cove, such is the overwhelming emotion. I don't care how tough anyone is, I defy anyone not to get emotional there.

• You should write a book Tragic. Just followed you through Turkey on my map - you've been around!

Anzac Cove - you have said it beautifully mate. Nothing to add :)

• Mmm, Turkish coffee. The first one I had I went to add milk and was scolded in Turkish but my emotional IQ translated it as "you fuckwit Aussie, don't do that". I then went to stir it and I think they wanted to deport me. 
                      Erdogan. Far right. Never go too far either way. 

• PT it sounds like you entered Turkey by road? My Uni's insurance would not cover anything east of Ankara so long hauling across Turkey has been out. But a guide I hired one time was from some town near the Syria border and said about 100 times "no worries, small flight, I'll take you, who will know"! He was an out of work historian. I could have talked to him for a week. 

• It certainly was by road Daz. I did a Kathmandu to London overland trip that ened up taking almost a year. Nepal, India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, (then) Yugoslavia, Europe in general, up the Baltic coastline, Finland, USSR (while still communist) back into Europe again then around UK. 99% by road but you are 100% correct that the best guides are unemployed historians. The great thing about that type of travel is that one day you see the throne room where the Peacock Throne sat, then 6 weeks later you get to see the actual Peacock Throne after it was pinched. It's rolling history. You couldn't do that trip anymore.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
3 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
4 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
4 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
4 hours ago
More…