Utoikamanu gone

The Wests Tigers have snuck under the guard of Parramatta to steal one of the hottest young talents in the game on a three-year deal.

The Tigers have secured the services of hulking prop Stefano Utoikamanu from 2021 with one of the largest contracts for a player yet to make his NRL debut, understood to be worth around $800,000.

Parramatta were desperate to retain the 192cm, 115kg teenage sensation, who has drawn comparisons to Broncos sensation Payne Haas.

On the back of Ryan Matterson's defection to the Eels, the Tigers have managed to land the major coup and are also expected to sign Dragons forward Luciano Leilua in the coming days.

It is understood the Tigers, who are also the frontrunners for Latrell Mitchell, want the Australian Schoolboys representative to join the club immediately to play for them in the NRL in 2020.

However, the Eels earmarked Utoikamanu, who grew up playing against the likes of Haas and David Fifita, to make his debut in 2020 and now have a decision to make whether to keep him at the club or let him link with the Tigers immediately.

NRL.com understands Utoikamanu, who is on a development contract with the Eels and is no guarantee of being bumped up into the NRL squad, stands to earn almost triple the original offer the Eels put to him midway through the year.

Stefano Utoikamanu in training with NSW under 20s in 2019.Stefano Utoikamanu in training with NSW under 20s in 2019.©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos

The Eels raised their offer in recent weeks – and again on Thursday night in a desperate bid to hold on to him – however Utoikamanu had already reached a decision.

The strength of the Eels pack, with Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard starting up front, was also a factor – especially considering there are far fewer obstacles in front of him at the Tigers.

The Eels also have no shortage of depth in the front row, with NSW under 18s Origin front-rower Dave Hollis on their roster, as well as Sam Hughes, who was picked but missed the game due to suspension.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire is desperate to add some size and starch to his pack, and the signing of Utoikamanu, who represented the NSW under 20s last season, is sure to do that whenever he arrives at Concord.

Utoikamanu scored the match-winning try for NSW in a man-of-the-match performance in the under 18s Origin game last year, backing that up with 149 metres from 11 hit-ups for the Blues in the under 20s victory this year.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You postive about the club????  You mad bro!!!!

• This reply was deleted.
      • Would we needed to match the offer if we had of made him a priority and not low balled him.  We apparently offered him only 130k for 2021.   My mail is strong because I heard he was gone almost a week ago.  And if that's true we practically drove him to the Tigers to sign on the dotted line. 

• Al ffs  i told you it was a swap deal with Matterson. Fk you're stupidity is astounding. Wtf don't you get

• So you have this on authority Chief? Interesting.

I am not happy to lose a young big prop, and also find it interesting we have Hollis and Hughes also signed. Not sure what to think, but I can also agree that we would not have paid him the $250+ like Wests maybe have, as to my knowledge we have not paid this for such younger players, and i get he has good backing behind him with Origin etc. its never good losing a player let alone such a promising one. I also question the likes of Peni being kept when compared.

• This reply was deleted.
          • Agreed on some of this Poppa; Brown and Mahoney need to be sorted soon. A big boppa like this fellow gone is what we needed coming through the system; and i am not at training etc and nor do i know the goings on behind the scenes but was hoping he would get a run last season gone. The retention committee had time to sort this one and from the outside did not seem to think he was worth a top 30.

• Agreed on some of this Poppa; Brown and Mahoney need to be sorted soon. A big boppa like this fellow gone is what we needed coming through the system; and i am not at training etc and nor do i know the goings on behind the scenes but was hoping he would get a run last season gone. The retention committee had time to sort this one and from the outside did not seem to think he was worth a top 30.

• Chief you are dumber than spit.

swap deal lol, fucking plodder.

• Sounds quite rational in hindsight Chief, I actually thought as much when I first read the proposal. Anyone who knows men knows blokes like Madge and BA who are amtes will have quite chat about how they can both get what theyneed without spending too much to get it.

• "Development club my arse" in the last 18 months we've seen Niukore, Stone, Kaufusi, D Brown, Mahoney, Sivo & Parry all debut and grow as players. 

There's a salary cap for a reason. You can't keep them all. If Utoikamanu is so good why did Niukore, Stone, Kaufusi who all play in his position get there debuts before him?

You sound like a spoilt child when your mum told you you couldn't get a lollipop down at the shop. Grow up. 

• We should just sign every young player on potential and ensure we sign them for more than what any other club is prepared to pay - and lock them up long term.

It's worked out great for Penrith :)

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Simon Priestly replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"I know it's hot, but faaaaaarkin hell...there's not a serious team in the comp that given the opportunities and possession that Parra had, wouldn't have pretty much put this game to bed already. 
That six again where gutho decided to play like it…"
3 seconds ago
Hugo replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Sean Russell
"And surely we have a better goal kicker than this bloke? Never looked like getting those kicks. 
He's damn lucky that BA is the coach because he would be shunted back to Ron Massey Cup where he belongs if someone like Bennett ever took over. "
11 seconds ago
Frank The Tank replied to Angry Eel's discussion Dragons and Lomax
"Yep"
19 seconds ago
Snottie Pimpin replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Sean Russell
"Mate he's not even ok. 
I would say his strength is he is relatively quick off the mark for his size which is obviously what BA has fallen in love with. 
His weaknesses are everything else.
Poor defensive decisions - comes up with the wrong decision…"
35 seconds ago
More…