Parramatta Eels have today announced the appointment of Trent Barrett to join the Club as an NRL Assistant Coach for two years from the 2023 season.

Parramatta Eels Head Coach Brad Arthur said, “Trent has a wealth of football experience which he has harnessed over almost three decades as an elite player and coach, I’m sure he will contribute significantly to help enhance our football program.”

Barrett has a decorated career as a player with 235 NRL games for Illawarra Steelers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Cronulla Sharks, and an additional 60 games for Wigan in the UK. He has represented NSW and won 15 caps for Australia.

Barrett has extensive coaching experience with Canterbury Bulldogs, Manly Sea Eagles and as an assistant coach with Penrith Panthers.

Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said, “Brad identified Trent Barrett as someone who could add great value to our football program. We all agreed that to be the case based on Trent’s credentials and experience. I know he will be a wonderful fit for our club as we seek to continuously improve each and every year. I look forward to welcoming Trent and his family to our club”.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So it's been reported that Barrett will be looking after the attacking structures next year. Who do we get as a defence minded assistant coach? Most of the older coaches mentioned as assistants, ie Henry and Elliot are mentioned as great tacticians, which is generally attacking side of things. Not sure what roles Josh Hannay has had but could be an option, along with John Morris? Or has Morris signed elsewhere recently?

• If they hire Barret for the attacking coach and someone else as defensive coach what in the blazes does Arthur do besides drink lots of water 💦

• I actually have no issue with Trent Barrett being assistant. More so the fact that BA's 10th year is official before his lucklustre 9th season is settled. Then if we have an average year next year they'll extend him as they cannot have him off-contract.

The only way this bloke leaves as head coach is to be head of football, seriously that will be it, Dylan Brown wont stay leading JA to be 6 and Matt Arthur as 9.

I have snapped as we should see how we perform in semi's with a team that will be far more superior than next year's team, best team we have had in his 9 years and have gotten worse, yet it's ok even if he comes 8th and scraps by.

If he gets to a prelim then so be it, but seriously this guy is COVID, doesn't go away.

• Precisely LB, have no issue with Barrett as an assistant either, but the implication that the club is satisfied with BA & the teams performances this season is an issue. 
      We could be knocked out first final yet, what was the rush on this ? 

• I mean, fair enough Barrett was being looked at by St. George Illawarra so needed to get a head start fair enough. But the new coach if we were heading that way who knows may not of wanted Barrett or might like to have Barrett. I understand the rush to get Barrett. But St. George have been looking at him for a month now but didn't get him, we could have waited to see how the year turns out before deciding.

Put it this way, i said last year i would be happy keeping BA if he got new assistants. He didn't, he got consultants but kept Kidwell and Murphy. Now it looks like Carr and Barrett are the new assistants but too little too late. If he keeps Murphy, which wont make sense since he is an attacking coach same as Barrett and Carr, then we are not serious.

If this was a BA hire, then fair as i believe a coach has a say on who their assistants are, once the club decides it is game over for the coach. If it was not and simply agreed with the club then get rid of him.

I will support him as all fans should but it is getting to where how can we be excited when if we start well we know a drop off is coming, it has happened 4 years in a row, it will happen again. At least with a new coach we head into oblivion wondering what will happen.

• The rush was we must protect the BA legacy at all costs - at least that's what this is starting to look like.

It's a head scratcher and makes one ask how much power does BA yeild at the club? I mean he never looks like he's worried about losing his job. Many before him with more talent have, but nope not BA he's safe as no matter the results.

• Exactly, it's all a huge Con by the master con artist Brad Arthur 

• I think Barrett is fine as an assistant.I think if we continue to use the attack in the shape that it's used he should be able to help with that.

They still need to add a defensive coach to help on that side especially around the ruck.

Ill just wait and see with this hire hit or miss.

• I've got a really really bad feeling about this 1.more bad news from parramatta lurker, I sopose it's not his fault

• If prefer him as head coach over BA. Hopefully BA gets the sack and Barrett can be caretaker coach next year. Win a premiership and throw the Winfield Cup at Pig Dog Gould's face.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Steel be with you replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"Unless we get injuries, I don't see Sivo playing first grade for Parramatta ever again. He was found out how many times by Canberra? 4-5 times?. With Lomax coming next year it places his spot in the team further in doubt. I know he is contracted…"
26 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"That just shows what a low bar we have for wingers at the club."
32 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"Absolutely.  This is the sort of winger we need."
32 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Nitram's discussion A look back at Darwin
"I would not have known but someone pointed out that our record was pretty good for the game the following week.....i.e. for all the positives I think the game is worthwhile. with the clincher being the sponsorship.....I am not sure if it is widely…"
1 hour ago
More…