Parramatta Eels have today announced the appointment of Trent Barrett to join the Club as an NRL Assistant Coach for two years from the 2023 season.

Parramatta Eels Head Coach Brad Arthur said, “Trent has a wealth of football experience which he has harnessed over almost three decades as an elite player and coach, I’m sure he will contribute significantly to help enhance our football program.”

Barrett has a decorated career as a player with 235 NRL games for Illawarra Steelers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Cronulla Sharks, and an additional 60 games for Wigan in the UK. He has represented NSW and won 15 caps for Australia.

Barrett has extensive coaching experience with Canterbury Bulldogs, Manly Sea Eagles and as an assistant coach with Penrith Panthers.

Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said, “Brad identified Trent Barrett as someone who could add great value to our football program. We all agreed that to be the case based on Trent’s credentials and experience. I know he will be a wonderful fit for our club as we seek to continuously improve each and every year. I look forward to welcoming Trent and his family to our club”.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not an appointment that excites me much. The dogs looked an overcoached rabble the minute they got rid of him they flogged us and went on a bit of a run. The dogs have a decent roster, origin 6 decent outside backs etc I couldn't understand why they were going so shit. I was in the dogs corporate box for the game vs us though and all the Dogs fans were adamant Barrett was overcoaching and were confident of beating us. Turned out they were right 

• So I guess it's official, BA is seeing out 2023 regardless of how this season finishes - or Barrett takes over as head coach.

Neither a positive result. 

• They have signed a bloke who knows nothing. Look at the Dogs attack with Barret and now without. And his time at Penrith doesn't count...Cleary, Luai and Yeo don't need coaching

• And while I am at it what question was asked where Trent Barrett is the answer???

• This reply was deleted.
      • I wouldn't have signed him for 5 years like the Dogs did. He is unproven but might turn out to be good like Fitzgibbon has. The point with Barrett is he has coached twice in first grade and failed to the point where the coaches who came in after him won games with the same team he has. At Manly he finished 15th. Hasler the following year took the same squad to 5th. Would could he possibly offer?

• if you want an in demand coach you need to do that, and be prepared to pay them out a year early, you wouldnt even be in the picture if you dont.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Jack replied to BEM's discussion Next Week's Team
"Eh doesn't matter now. I was always a BA supporter but his lost the room, I think all us fans need a change and it's time for one. Unless something dramatically changes in coming weeks a care taker needs to take over and sign another coach. I would…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"I just want bennet😂"
1 hour ago
Snottie Pimpin replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
" i don't mind listening to TCT guys, theyre die hard fans who badly want us to succeed and seem like decent blokes.
I feel at times though there needs to be some higher expectations from the fans and some demand for accountability for what we are…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"There was a couple of times he ran out of the line when dolphins were started the set. Just found it funny how he would do that but we have forwards who couldn't even make a tackle let alone provide line speed. "
1 hour ago
More…