Parramatta Eels have today announced the appointment of Trent Barrett to join the Club as an NRL Assistant Coach for two years from the 2023 season.

Parramatta Eels Head Coach Brad Arthur said, “Trent has a wealth of football experience which he has harnessed over almost three decades as an elite player and coach, I’m sure he will contribute significantly to help enhance our football program.”

Barrett has a decorated career as a player with 235 NRL games for Illawarra Steelers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Cronulla Sharks, and an additional 60 games for Wigan in the UK. He has represented NSW and won 15 caps for Australia.

Barrett has extensive coaching experience with Canterbury Bulldogs, Manly Sea Eagles and as an assistant coach with Penrith Panthers.

Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said, “Brad identified Trent Barrett as someone who could add great value to our football program. We all agreed that to be the case based on Trent’s credentials and experience. I know he will be a wonderful fit for our club as we seek to continuously improve each and every year. I look forward to welcoming Trent and his family to our club”.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The real funny thing is some eels fans think Trent was some top notch brilliant assistant haha, whats he ever done to prove that?

Trent has his mates like gus and joey build him up to ge some outstanding coach, so he could get a gig as a head coach.

Trent showed absolutely zero brilliance at the dogs and his body language and general energy was deplorable.

Theres absolutely nothing to say he was some brialliant assistant, its just comical.

Plenty of the same dopes who have backed BA as a great coach are the same guys now saying what a great choice barrett is, its laughable, they wouldnt know shit from clay.

Some of the standards of this club and its fans are deplorable, there is no standards.

They will support what ever the club does, and look where we are at as a club, just disgraceful.

• Yep it's the blind leading the blind unfortunately for the rest of us Snake. Fuck I'm pissed 

• McGregor's immense talent and IP, Nathan Brown's extensive knowldge and inspiration, Barrett's winning record (and a few chairs). How is BA going to manage this brains trust? FMD, the average IQ level of our coahing staff falls everytime we make announcement of a new appointment.

• lol a brains trust of BA and Trent, talk about reaching for the stars.

This is going to be the most comical combo ever at the club.

• Slap some face bazzy bazz

BAZZA  !

• I'm not against the club signing Barrett as an assistant coach,  he has far more credentials than our current assistant coaches, even though Barrett has failed twice as an head coach at least he was considered good enough to be given a chance at a head coaching role which is more than you can say for a lot of assistant coaches. 

Now for my issue,  this is a clear indication that BA is safe for next season no matter how badly we might finish off this season,  a season that started out considered to be our best opportunity in a very long time to win the comp. This is our strongest roster under BA's time as head coach yet we have gone backwards and next season our roster won't be as strong.  This has disaster written all over it.

• Spot on HKF. The issue is that it's clear that BA will be given yet another chance. The dopes that are calling Barrett a shit appointment as an assistant because of his poor record as a head coach haven't got a clue.

Barrett's hardly the problem moving forward. He's a good assistant and despite what some say his record as an assistant stacks up fine. How he presents himself in a fucking presser is hardly relevant.

The issues not Barrett, the issue's the imbecile that's in charge. Barrett as an assistant is fine on it's own merrit, the problem is that it signals another year for a bloke that's well and truly run his race.

• Kram based on Barrett last stint it's not an appointment that fills you with any confidence, almost immediately the dogs started playing a decent brand of footy - I think it's a missed opportunity to go after someone with fresh ideas with ambitions for the top job someone like Josh Hannay.The assistant position although important it doesn't change the fact that BA has the ultimate say which is more of concern based on how the seasons has played out.The BA cheer squad thinking this makes his job safe are delusional, the goods new is BA wants to secure his future as a career coach and it won't be at the eels 

• Mate, Josh Hannay has stated publicly that he doesn't want to be a head coach, he enjoys being an assistant.

They're VERY different jobs, I don't get why everyone assumes a good assistant will automatically become a good head coach. Success in either role aren't mutually exclusive. It's a bit like saying a good departmental manager willl always become a good managing director - it doesn't work like that. 

• Agree mate I guess Barrett being sacked is fresh in people's minds which I understand - the bigger issue is BA future at the club, I feel the only reason BA is kept on board is to do with retaining Moses and DB

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
23 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
28 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
29 minutes ago
Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We'll just been watching Matty John's Late, Hindy n Fletch interviewing Dragons - Lawrie, Lomax n Coach son, gotta say Lawrie n Lomax complete fuckwits. Coach son was pretty cool but other two prime nobs
Dragons can keep Lomax cause we have a No…"
1 hour ago
More…