To Hire Better Assistant Coaches or Not.

The general thoughts on 1 eyedeel are that our Eels need better assistant coaches, especially in the area of attack, game management, tactics etc. Ive read that some believe, "probably rightly so" that BA is scared to hire really good assistants such as Flanagan or Fitzgibbon type's  that could actually take over from him if the team were to perform badly etc.  It got me wondering, Do coaches including BA refuse to hire assistants that they believe could land a head job at another club. If we take a look at Barrett at Penrith, he completely changed their attacking mindset and the results were phenominal, youngsters left right and centre performing way above their best and dominating at NRL level or about to, which directly led them into an NRL grandfinal, however the downside of having Barrett onboard for the Pennies is that he is so good he has picked up another head coach position at the Dogs and is now decimating the Penrith youngsters bringing them across to the dogs. If we were to hire a good/great assistant coach in the same vein would that be good or bad for our club if they were to leave and take our improved players with them. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree it is on the head coach but the club re-signed him foe 2 more years so the only area we can improve in the coaching ranks at the moment is better assistant coaches.

• Careful HKF the blind faithful will be after you son.

DO NOT question anything, and in particular do not point out deficiencies that we are forced to accept from the blind faithful from the shrine of mediocrity.

• Brett , I have been fortunate enough to watch multiple training sessions over a number of seasons .  I get to speak to people in and around the club and my own observations .  Good fellas average coaches .  Leave it at that 

• This reply was deleted.
    • This reply was deleted.
      • And if you never have a go, you will never know brissy.

No one is calling for a replacement from the ranks of the homeless, Bushy is contracted for two more (miserable?) years, astute selection for a replacement is what is needed.

What is needed is what we have not had for too long = decisive LEADERSHIP

GEEZ, we can tell players they are no longer in our future palns but we won't do the same for a coach? Hmmmm

• Im not convinced at all that BA is scared of a good assistant coach that would take his job, however i do think its important for the future of the club to perhaps hire those that are not in a position to take the players away to another club, like Barret and lots before him are doing. Even BA brought over Gutho, Foran,  Watmough, Lane from the Manly systems. Coaches that have no plans what so ever to be a head coach, or dont have the varied skills to be a head coach at another club, people like the Johns brothers, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater , Alan Langer, Brett Kenny come to mind. Coaches that can pass on their knowledge and skills but dont want a head coaching position. Id hate to see a flanagan etc come in get close to the boys then steal our best when he gets his next head coach position at another club.

• BE good point regards poaching players from coaches former club . However I do not think you can ever stop the players from moving on to same new club as their former assistant coach or head coach unless the players contract prohibits that and who would agree to that ? Otherwise  the players should always be free to follow of their own free choice  . 

• This issue might also explain why BA was resigned during the season and not end of year when his contract option came up or contract ended . CEO would not have wanted leading players to follow BA elsewhere  like Foran , Watmough and others did follow BA from Manly to Parra . I could never argue with any decision like that ,  nor any club sacking a coach before end of season when the timing was designed to make it harder for players  to sign with the coaches subsequent club.

• Watmough was leaving Manly regardless, it was just a matter of where he would end up. Foz, it was a couple of years between BA leaving Manly & Foz signing with us. Lane, Gutho & Gower just wanted opportunities that Manly weren't going to give them.

That's not to say that BA didn't have a great personal relationship with those guys, but I'm sure he also had a great personal relationship with the likes of Gareth Widdop, Jesse Bromwich, Jordan McLean & Kevin Proctor whom he coached to the 2009 NYC title in Melbourne.

• Yes . Same as BA appears to have a great personal relationship with most if not all of our current key players . Interesting re BA's former Storm NYC coached players you mention  . It was reported last week that Gareth Widdop wants to come back to Australia to play next season. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cumberland Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"1. Sandow
2. Blake
3. Norman
4. Sivo
5. Makatoa"
59 minutes ago
Collaroy Eel replied to big 2nd rower's discussion Parramatta Eels sign Zac Lomax for 2025
"Maybe she cooked him some of her apple pie"
1 hour ago
Angry Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"I don't think that's a fair comment. With exceptions to Jennings and Fergo a lot of the players mentioned were developed under Arthur. Moses, Gutho, Papali, RCG, Cartwright, Lane, Hopgood, Niukore  are all better products having played under Arthur.…"
1 hour ago
Cʜɪᴇғ - replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"Yep, I must have missed my morning coffee yesterday "
1 hour ago
More…