Three Why's Eels

1. Why do we give our winger ball and they have 4 to beat and get smashed over the sideline. Both Fergo and Sivo are good finishers and score if given half a chance, they are just not given that chance. Why are we not creating more room for them. Believe some posters have touched on this? Not just Moses fault - he was playing straight and digging into the line against the Panthers.

2. Why do we not have a plan of attack when the opposition gets up fast giving our attack no room? Opposition have been doing this for years and we still seem to have no answer.

3. Why did Moses/Matterson switch with Brown/Lane? Like that we are trying new stuff but why the switch? Is Brown being given teh better side for a right footer or is he being asked to do more of the play making?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 1
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am actually surprised that some of these suggestions and observations made on these blogs about how other teams structure their attack very successfully haven,t been taken up by our coaching staff. If you guys can see it and our coaches can,t what do they actually do?

• Slow play the balls when they use these shaped attacks they for the most part are doing it off of a set defense moving foward.They need to use the mentioned once they have bent the middle and created momentum.

• Exactly Coryn. We shift the ball at the wrong times. That's the fault of our spine players. Hopefully with more experience Drown and Mahoney will get better at making these decisions. Moses needs to be given the ball when there's an opportunity and not before. His job is to play what he sees, not decide when he gets the ball. Gutherson also needs to stop hogging it whenever we get a quick play the ball. Both our halves are more dangerous runners than him.

• N Brown stopped hogging the ball can Guth do the same? He need to

• Responding to Muttman's description of Eels vs Bunnies back line movements, it seems we are talking very different philosophies. Bennet wants to get his team to put the opposition under a lot of pressure to get their defensive reads right. A poor read is a line break and they're away.
    BA appears to want to edge forward safety-first. He appears happy to grind out 10m a play and hope there is an offload, missed tackle or a little extra post-contact meters that scrapes an extra 10-25m to the default 40-50m he can get via safety-first grinding. The result is that on the 5th or 6th tackle we are in the opposition quarter for a kick. Rinse and repeat. Yawn. This safety first style is compatible with the lateral movements Muttman describes.

Brissyeel and I exchanged a few posts about this Bunnies/Eels contrast as well. I accept Brissyeel's point that the Eels can still run up points via their conservative style. Where I might part company with Brissy, though, is that I think the Eels' style is not suited to challenging Top 4 or even Top 6 teams, and instead is designed to beat weaker teams or teams off their game. It will probably get us bottom 8 but rolled easily in the finals. I wonder if that is the point? To settle for repeated finals appearances? 

• Why? because BAs a very simple man.

• Perhaps it's called being overcoached and loosing the instinct that you once had 

• 1. We need to be deeper, even when we are on their lines we need to get back a bit and run onto it

2. Again we are too flat

3. Trialing defence strategies, (it was odd ti see but if it stops that weak edge defence then go for it)

• Eels were too flat and a lot of one out runs. Moses needs to get the ball in his hands a lot more as does Dyl Brown as there was far too much Mahoney to a forward. Easy to read but they might have had a simple game plan for the trial just to get some kilometres into their legs. Still pretty good in defence but doing too much of it.

• I noticed the Prof refers to South's attacking style around the halves. Very simple with someone running hidden behind a playmaker to make an extra man with a relatively easy try. Slater did that all the time. We have the quality players to do that stuff and we rarely see any attempt to do something similar. We are still stuck with the one-up power plays which rarely get us anywhere..You would think something would click with trying something different

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

JB. Prints of Parra replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"What I could see happening is Lomax to the Chooks and Suaalii to the Eels "
14 minutes ago
Cumberland Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Can anyone actually see this happening. Lomax at the Eels? "
21 minutes ago
Electric Eel 2 replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Hardly the point that I was making!"
37 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Yes Bup makes a compeling case...."
47 minutes ago
More…