Three Why's Eels

1. Why do we give our winger ball and they have 4 to beat and get smashed over the sideline. Both Fergo and Sivo are good finishers and score if given half a chance, they are just not given that chance. Why are we not creating more room for them. Believe some posters have touched on this? Not just Moses fault - he was playing straight and digging into the line against the Panthers.

2. Why do we not have a plan of attack when the opposition gets up fast giving our attack no room? Opposition have been doing this for years and we still seem to have no answer.

3. Why did Moses/Matterson switch with Brown/Lane? Like that we are trying new stuff but why the switch? Is Brown being given teh better side for a right footer or is he being asked to do more of the play making?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 1
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Totally agree

Seriously, what is Andrew Johns telling these blokes? He's the one who should be teaching and setting up this kind of play. How are they getting it so consistently wrong?

• I'm not convinced, or confident, that Andrew Johns is going to be all that good for us. Absolutely he was a great half but that doesn't necessarily mean he has the ability to coach/teach/impart knowledge.

He comes across as a bit of a dope on the tele. 

Hope I'm wrong though.

I was at Bankwest last year (2019) for the Brisbane semi. Sterlo was on the field during the warm up and spent a few minutes in deep conversation with Moses. Granted the Broncos were woefull but Moses played a very smart game that day. Love to know what Sterlo said to him....

• Your'e not wrong Kramerica, he definitley comes across as a bit of a dope 

• This reply was deleted.
          • Did you give him the benefit of the doubt after leading the comp for 12 weeks.O'Neil and co obviously did.

• Funny enough 2019 and most of the first half of 2020 we played more direct with our forwards punching the line and offloading. Our back line was then standing deeper and the  hitting the ball up at speed. We were scoring beautiful  tries. Sivo and fergo went off in 2019. Second half of last year and last night eels went to defense  mood and all our good shapes went out  the window.

• I agree. And what bothers me is they don't seem to see the problem. Last year when Fergo couldn't buy a try they just kept saying it would come eventually. It never did and Fergo finished the year with his worst try scoring record ever. Simply put, he ran out of room on every play. The Eels became obsessed with right - left with Gutho hitting Sivo with a cut out. It became the only way we could score and it seems that nothing has changed this year. 
        Why did our right side suddenly stop running the right lines and why do they continue to run the wrong lines? Only they know. It's beyond a joke now. 

• I just realised I meant Left to Right. See, I'm no Coach

• Whilst Souths looked very good, St George were woeful. They were constantly retreating in defence, allowing the likes of Reynolds to run to the defensive line and past it way before he needed to pass.

When the opposition gives you that much room to move, any NRL standard team will put points on you.

In our trial, and Vossy mentioned this several times during his call, referree Klein played a very skinny 10m for both teams in our trial and that lack of space may have contributed to lacklustre attack.

I will say this, Penrith scored their tries after getting several 6 again repeat sets (which I think we got one of during the whole match). Personally, I thought that whilst our attack is troubling, the defence seemed better than last season - although still not great.

For a trial match, it was not a bad hit out. Lets not forget last season we played a similarly clunky trial against the Panthers and scrapped for a draw, looked dreadful in Round 1 against the Dogs before going on a solid run and leading the comp for the first half of the season.

What I want to see this season is consistency throughout. We have the cattle to make the top 4 again, then its up to Brad and the team to take the next step.

• I actually thought Sivo and Fergo played well. The problem was Sivo was only given the ball when multiple defenders were on him. He was actuallu doing very well not to be taken into touch several times. Fergo was actually making good yards from dummy half that there were no markers for the next play. But like Sivo, he never got any opportunity. 

• When you don,t get clean ball with space it will affect your game. You won,t enjoy the game. You will take unnecessary risks out of frustration and inevitably be prone to making mistakes; When your backline is in some sort of harmony your confidence grows and you enjoy the game--you only have to have a look at how positive the guys were whe they thrashed Broncos in the finals 50 to something.

Some good observations on this blog

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Electric Eel 2's discussion Lomax is a freak
"I'd say his salary plays a big part in the decision. If there were a few players on the market for this season I think his choice not to release him early may have been different. Flanno can't build his team with Lomax chewing up so much coin. And…"
4 minutes ago
Darren Munro replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"I think it was ok as well. I think in hindsight he should have played asi vs Canberra and kept Blaize at centre."
1 hour ago
"Or Bennett has already been signed and Ba is doing his best to keep it together. "
1 hour ago
"Exactly "
1 hour ago
More…