By David Riccio

A number of influential figures walked out on the Eels after the grand final loss. So, who steps up? Coach Brad Arthur opens up exclusively on 2023. Plus, their likely Round 1 team.

Eels coach Brad Arthur believes the club’s proven football factory will unearth a new batch of stars to keep their premiership window open.
In his first interview since Parramatta’s 28-12 grand final loss to Penrith eight weeks ago, Arthur has identified the “no names” he says can replace the departures of influential figures Isaiah Papali’i, Reed Mahoney, Marata Niukore and Oregon Kaufusi.

“Our record shows that when a player comes to our club, they improve. And if they do leave, they leave a better person and a better player,” Arthur said.

“Nobody knew Reed Mahoney when we signed him, when Isaiah came to the Eels, no one really knew much about him, and Marata was in that same boat as well.

“So now we have a new group with an opportunity to do the same.”

Pack mainstays in 2022, Papalii, Mahoney, Niukore and Kaufusi played 103 games for the Eels out of a possible 112.

In essence, their impact was immense through their consistency and therefore key to the Eels’ grand final charge. With the quartet moving on to rival clubs in 2023, Arthur has holes to fill – and that has led to anxiety among Eels fans.

However, the head coach pinpointed forward recruit from the Knights Jirah Momoisea (eight NRL games), ex-Raider and Warrior Jack Murchie (40), former Bulldog Matt Doorey (18) and NSW Cup talent Toni Mataele, were at training with the lure of a starting back-row position.

“I told them I need them to be 80-minute players.

“I think they’re off the pace physically at the moment, compared to what our requirements are for a backrower. But that’s a good sign for our club because most players that come to our club don’t match our standards.

“So they’ve been told they need to be fitter.

“With our training, they’ll improve naturally.

“It’s no different to Isaiah and Marata and Shaun Lane, they all had to work when they arrived.’’

POMMY EEL

Veteran hooker Josh Hodgson, the club’s biggest signing, will be fit for round one after missing last season with a torn ACL.

Arthur said his back-up options were Mitch Rein and rookie Brendan Hands.

“In one week, I’ve seen the leadership of Josh and how he rubs off on his teammates,” Arthur said.

“He’s been terrific and he has a playing style that is suited to Parramatta.

“Every year we’ve had blokes leave and I’ve only ever worried about what was next, which is the next blokes who have come to work with us.”
OH NO, MATTO

Lock-forward Ryan Matterson confused the majority of the competition by his decision to accept a three-game suspension for a crusher tackle from the grand final instead of accepting a $4000 fine.

He will miss the Eels’ first three games against the Storm, Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Arthur said he’s got an idea who will cover Matterson’s early-season unavailability.

“We signed J’maine Hopgood from Penrith – he hasn’t joined us (at training) yet, but we’re looking forward to seeing him,” Arthur said.

“He was probably the best player in the entire NSW Cup, he just couldn’t get a run with Isaah Yeo in front of him.

“Like the other guys we’ve brought in, we’re more than happy to bring these guys in and coach them up and get the best out of them.’’

MOSES AND BROWN

The more it drags on, the playing futures of the Eels’ most influential playmakers threatens to develop into the biggest story over summer.

Both Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown are off-contract at the end of 2023, with rival clubs – including the Wests Tigers, Bulldogs and Dolphins – preparing major money plays.

The Eels coach shares a tight relationship with both players and without waxing lyrical, said he hoped both chose to stay.

“Both players are obviously a big part of this team and club, and I would love nothing more for them to stay,” Arthur said.

“They know exactly what I think of them and what we can do together – that’s all that matters.’’

POST-GRAND FINAL

In the aftermath of the Eels’ grand final loss, Arthur took an annual end-of-season holiday to Bali, where he reflected on the season while mapping a plan to go one step further in 2023.

“I’ve now moved on,” he said of the 28-12 defeat. “I’m worried about what is ahead of us.

“(Penrith) were too good for us. And they’ve been too good for the entire competition for the past three years now.

“I was gutted and disappointed in the result. But they played their best, we didn’t.

“I’m proud we got there, but I’m not satisfied.

“I know we’ve got plenty of drive left in us and I’m enjoying the opportunity to have our next wave of players come through.’’

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yep, Hands stats look impressive 94% tackle efficiency rate of course it's cup -  hopefully he gets crack at FG at some stage 

• What you mean like JA?

• I think his defence is good. He's no Dylan Brown but a lot better than Moses (88% tackle efficiency vs 82%).

• Getting in position to stop a player is as important as any tackle efficiency, i.e. if you don't get there, there is no statistical effect. If you do get there and stop momentum it can lower your efficiency rating. Who do you want, a slow running giraffe that is awkward in any position or a fleet footed deer that manages to turn up anywhere.

The other thing with players like Moses and most small halves, they run directly at them, many times the momentum is stopped but technically they class it as a missed tackle.

Jonathon Thurston had terrible tackle efficiency rates, but he never faltered when it was try saving time. I never forget him stopping Hayne a half a metre from the line in his tracks. You would have sworn nobody could have stopped Hayne in such a situation.

Moses tackling has improved every year he has been with the club, he probably is never going to have the same efficiency of a Cleary, Hughes, Hunt who have a forward/hooker half style about them. Cronk fell into the same category and it is good to see Hands is assumably pretty efficient in this sense as well. Moses kicking game is better than all those players with the possible exception of Cleary and he has the speed to run around anyone at a given time.....its all in the balance and coach. Lockyer had a reputation as a poor defender and had Tony Carroll playing as a defensive minder for him, Hopgood could become that player if Moses finds himself in trouble. 

Makes you wonder why Hands wasn't the preffered back up for Moses at the time when Mahoney could also have had a rest? It is not as if JA was an outstanding replacement half.

• Ummm possibly cos we would have shown him up 🤔

nah that's just too outlandish a thought 🙄

• 😂😂😂

Yeah sure it is...

Great stats by the way - always handy when comparing an 80min player with a player who comes on for 5 if he's lucky....

• I stand corrected but ok, he played lock 3 times and hooker 4. Curious to see what he played coming on as interchange. If he was being groomed as a hooker I'd assume he would get as much time as possible there as opposed to being used as a spare plug - in wherever.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
49 minutes ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
6 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
7 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
7 hours ago
More…