The forward pass and public/media perception

1. Standard practice is that the Turbo pass is ruled forward. He let go and stopped 1 metre before the line and the ball was caught on the line. Whenever there is a line to make the ball going forward obvious it is ruled a forward pass regardless of it going backwards out of the hands and/or travelling backwards relative to the frame of reference of the player moving as he passed it. Same as Gutho pass on the line that went backwards out of his hands but was caught by Sivo 1 metre in front of the line. Should have been a try against the Bronos but called forward. Happens in all the games. I am sure we could put together a video of 10 Parra passes that were similarly incorrectly ruled over the last year or so.

2. Refs are human and the media/public perception affects their decisions. BA needed to get on the front foot and set the narrative on this. He can still be a nice guy/ gentleman about the way he does it but he owes it to his players to set it straight in the pressers

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I tried to make it nice and easy for you Monts with nice easy numbers.

Say the player is running at 30km/h and passes the totally ball flat sideways out of the hands. The ball will continue to travel forward with a momentum of 30km/h.

Ball is passed totally legally in accordance with the rules but because of physics technically travels forwards.

Unless you're going to require players to pass the ball backwards with more force that their accumulated momentum each time, passes passed backwards will often travel forwards. :)

•  

I like this video: it shows how legal "backward" passes "float forwards"; naturally, like a bird flying contently.

• Looks like a blue and gold jersey to me, must be forward no matter what

• Magpie, all rugby league players are taught (unless I'm incorrect) to always pass the ball backwards no matter what speed they're running. It's drilled into them from paddock football, to junior league. So if a professional rugby league player passes the ball backwards as it's been continually drilled into them then guess what it will always go backwards.

The only time will a ball will go forwards is if it's passed forwards even IF it is perceived to have been passed backwards. The linesman got it correct.

• Not true Monto. The video shows how a simple backwards pass floats forwards. It's obvious on longer passes.

• Remembering who you're arguing with here HoE. I'm convinced he's autistic. 

• thats the problem magpie these idiots on here actually need to be spoken to lay terms 

absolute dopes if they didn't get you the first time

• The principle of relative velocity remains the same Monto.

If a player is running at 10kph in a forward direction, which is about roughly the standard running speed, before the player even passes the ball, it is already traveling 10kph in a forward direction. Now when the player passes the ball, it has to decelerate that 10kph before it's velocity is in reverse. That deceleration doesn't happen automatically, it's a little concept known as inertia, and it's based on the angle from the transverse line at the time of release and the velocity at the point of release.

If that angle adjacent to the transverse line is extremely acute, which if the pass is flat or marginally backwards out of the hand then it is, then the ball will travel forward relative to the release point, every time. Relative Physics tells us this. For the pass to never cross the transverse line at the point of release, the ball must be passed backwards at an adjacent angle of greater than 45deg, varying depending on how fast the passer is traveling, assuming he is running, not stationary or walking.

Bottom line, if a footy player is running and he's passing the ball even remotely close to flat, it is almost physically impossible for it not to travel forward relative to the point of release, or what we colloquially call "floating forward". That is why we don't judge it on how it travels, but how it is released.

• I would like to see physics taken out of this scenario and use lines as markers to judge whether the ball has gone forward or not. We don't have players travelling at 100 km per hour so they need to adjust their pass so it arrives at its destination behind where it was passed from. 

at what speed is a car travelling and you can throw the ball backwards and it ends up behind where you throw it?

• That's impractical. Players would have to throw passes so far backwards as to make the idea of passing the ball pointless. The most effective passes in terms of threatening the defensive line are short, flat passes. If players had to pass it backwards at an angle of at least say 45deg, the defence would adjust to it far too easily.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"The thing about this game that is curious and worrying to me is are Wests the real deal or was last week just a mood. I tipped Wests to beat Cronulla last week for a few reasons. 1) Was not convinced on Cronulla's past 2 performances where they were…"
5 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sivo is back this round.
Lomax doesn't want to play wing at the Dragons so I doubt he would come here to play the same position.
He would replace Harper.
1. Gutho
2. Sivo
3. Lomax
4. Penisini 
5. Russell 
That would be the best backline we have had…"
6 minutes ago
Bup replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Lomax is nearly the perfect player Parra need to aquire.
The story's about his attitude and immaturity are prevalent and he's in a environment he doesn't want to be in .
The value here is you can get yourself a footballer for under market value due…"
22 minutes ago
Prof. Daz’s discussion was featured
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
45 minutes ago
More…