The centre and wing dilemma and which way are going towards?

At this stage, Fullback, left Wing and right Centre are sown up; with Gutherson, Sivo and Penisini locked in place for those spots. However right wing and left centre are still up in the air, with recent re-signings and rumours of players we are chasing it makes it even more open.

Firstly, Waqa Blake and Bailey Simonsson are the two favourites for either spot. Blake on a wing however is questionable more so due him under the high ball, they hid him in the GF. At centre he is questionable due to his defence. Simonsson we saw performed a bit better at centre, holding his own. Though we need some strike at that centre spot. Herbie Farnworth was one we looked at mid way through this year, before he re-signed with Brisbane for an extra year. Aaron Schoupp was touted before he signed with the Gold Coast. Now Corey Allen's name is popping up. It seems pretty obvious BA and O'Neill have seen centre as a priority signing for 2023. Though who is the one to miss out, out of Simonsson and Blake? What does it say for Dunster and Russell? Is Allen the answer if we get him?

It will be fascinating to see how it unfolds. Blake is off-contract in 2023, considering they could not even trust him under the high ball in what was the biggest game of his career tells you something, why should we persevere with him on the wing for 2023. Honestly i would give him another crack at Centre, I like Waqa, i think he is very talented, though he reminds me a lot of Ferguson in that rocks and diamonds type of player. Is Corey Allen at centre better than Blake? Honestly i would say no at this stage. Is Simonsson at Centre better than Blake? This one depends on what you want, strike? Then that is Waqa. Defence? That is Simonsson. But overall i would lean on Blake.

It would not happen but if i was Parramatta i would be talking to Farnworth right now to get him for 2024 at least, he is not going get much of a future look in with Cobbo, Walsh and Mariner all there, why not sign him with 2026 being where he becomes 1. Doubt that would be enough to get him but can always try. Tesi Niu even i feel is a better option. We do have to trust O'Neill and BA, bringing in average players who triple their value after 2-3 years, but i feel we can strive higher than Schoupp or Allen, with the former being quite a good talent.

If Simonsson misses out on the Centre spot, expect him to be favourite for the Wing spot. Getting dropped in Round 21, then coming back in a prelim to hold his own is a tremendous feat. Simonsson is a goer and a no fuss player, so let's give him the chance to be able to make a career at Parramatta. He has a player option in his favour, so if he doesn't get much of a run in 2023 he could take his business elsewhere anyway, so 2023 is a big year for Simonsson. If he doesn't win that spot, i think the club are in good hands with Dunster or Russell. These two could be our starting wingers in 2024 with Sivo off-contract also.

Overall the Wing spot and depth is more clear cut than Centre is at the moment. Do we all like the idea of Allen? Do you think we strive higher? Any other players you prefer? This is purely my opinion and doesn't mean it is gospel, just on my mind and wanted to see who you think will be in our backline verses Melbourne.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sivo a lock for one wing, I think Dunster will be on the other if his  comeback from injury is ok. I would give simmonson first crack at Centre with Penisini. 

• The way we are searching for a centre i think they want Simonsson to have competition which is great. So i think whoever comes in will get first crack and Simonsson will either get wing or fight for the centre spot.

• You would think dunster and Blake will start the season in those spots 

• Though i still stand by that eventually Dunster would make a great Centre. He has the size for it, has the height, puts his body on the line and has nice touch to his game, not too fast yet not too slow.

I do not think Dunster is any type of world beater, but i think he can be a decent NRL player.

• I would agree regarding him being a decent footballer, I actually think he's going to be above average; time will tell with the centre call I guess. 

• Dunster in the finals last year was unreal if he stays fit he will be solid

• The finals match against Penrith in 2021, arguments could be made that Dunster was one of our best in that game.

He is a no fuss player, does his job all the time. Makes a mistake, gets up and keeps going.

• Dunster center and Russell on the wing.

Was a big fan of Blake but he is now a liability. 

I just don't rate Simonsson in any position on the field.

We are now in a rebuild so may as well start with a new wing/center combo and chase Farnworth and Young for 2024.

• I'd have Simonsson in centres and, Dunster on the wing!

Bring blake off the bench for some fresh legs maybe?

• Waqa was actually having a career year at left centre before his move I'd be ok with him there to start.

I think Sean Russell looks like a footballer and maybe a smoke to turn into a good centre has good Size and speed aswell.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
1 hour ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
1 hour ago
More…