Talent Not Enough For Eels - Gould

Parramatta were not at their best on Thursday night, however, the positive was that they managed to graft out a win.

In previous years Parramatta could easily have frustrated themselves into a loss.

The Eels have talent, but they are well short of being a premiership-winning team. They don’t have a premiership-winning mentality.

They don’t place enough value on excellence. They have the ability to beat any team on their day.

However, they don’t have the mentality to beat the best teams on the big day. They are still very much a work in progress.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was concerned when Gutho said:

"It was all right, not much to it. I spoke to Brad (Arthur) before the game and that was the first time I spoke to him about it.

"He just said if someone thinks they (the refs) got it wrong just back them. Reggie said sorry after but it's just part of the game now I guess."

Why are we not discusssing all rules and planning for them as part of regular training sessions? Every player should be coached the rules in great detail and every player should have their referees certificate to prove they have studied and understand every rule and every possible scenario.

That comment concerned me.

• Ahhh don't worry as long as players train well in the off season.

• Agree 100% PT.  Professional footballers that haven't been schooled and don't understand the rules of the game is unacceptable.  I have trouble with basic fans that don't know the rules.  

• Fair enough for Gould to make this comment based on seasons past. But for him to say it this year based on one game where we kept the opponent try less is ridiculous. How often to teams keep another team try less? It's pretty rare. I'd say our attention to detail in defence, where it really matters, was pretty good. 

• But were the Dogs a real threat, how would we have fared against Brisbane or even Penrith? I think Gus is dead right

• ^^^ This!!!

• We will find out for sure when we play them.

• That's not really the point though. I'm saying keeping any NRL side to no tries takes a very disciplined effort. This wouldn't have been the narrative from Gus if the Roosters or Melbourne won 8 to 2 I promise you. Therefore he is basing his narrative on the past. 

if it was a very low quality game with both sides very ill disciplined then it's a different story. I haven't seen the stats but I didn't have the impression there was a lot of errors. Certainly in defence both sides were very good with good scramble. 

• But the big difference between the Roosters and Storm, they regularly defend well regularly are composed in attack, regularly build pressure, I'm yet to see this consistency in the Eels, when we've ground out consecutive wins against good sides I'll get excited

• And that's fair. But we have one game this year with one disciplined performance. And that's all we can base our assessments on so far. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Nos, I think it is the balance of the side, shape if you like. We really miss the "new" Carty he gives the pack a shape of penetration, likewise we obviously miss Moses for all the reasons we understand. We can at some point put a very competetive…"
11 minutes ago
The Badger replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Well ... that's all we need. Open mutiny.
It'll rip the band-aid off. First step, get rid of all Hillsong dopes."
28 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Sounds like we should be going short on nuts and long on vinegar!..... shit! another old bankers saying! 
I'm sure we can do better "
42 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"I'm proud they don't blame the boss, well if they do they could get the Tim Mannah or Nathan Brown treatment. Get a talking to from Gutho and co."
53 minutes ago
More…