Style of Football to play

In a discussion at the nursing home on Tuesday Dr Wong, well known surgeon and astute reader of the game of Rugby League and Geoff you know him as Sluggo were discussing the style of football that great teams of the past have played and that this style in particular can win you competitions purely because it is different and can create a capability for not necessarily the best team on paper being the winner.

Examples here would be the stand out teams of the last decade principally Roosters and Melbourne, now the Roosters would in the first instance be more than likely to have the best roster and Melb not, mainly because they have players that just seem to improve exponentially during a season....By the time the finals come around Melb are starting to standout as a real threat....Why ? because they play a type of contact football of keeping it alive!

This discussion came about because we noted that our 2001 side, brilliant, entertaining and breakers of point scoring records  did not have a lot of name players, personally I thought that Brad Drew was the key to the side but the real key was keeping it alive, with all players in motion.....effectively what Melb do and obviously Roosters can be very good at it as well.

Don't really see it with Raiders, Penrith or no other sides come to mind. Stop and think here, when any side is having a "day on" and really wound up for a game,we see more bodies in motion and support play everywhere...... 

The boys said I should put it into Blog and see how the site discusses it and ask the question why some  teams don't seem capable of doing it.

We/NRL have/had many of our coaches go through the Melb Bellamey school but nobody replicates it.....Why....what is so hard about keeping the ball alive and having all our players in motion. How many times are we flat footed in the opposition 25 and we have guys standing around like stale bottles of piss!

This is our challenge, we need our forwards and backs  to all be off loaders .....with the idea of backing up and supporting the ballcarrier and keeping it alive. It used to be called contact football many years ago with teams like Easts 74/75 sides and the great Souths side before that. I looked up Google and can see no reference to "contact" football in the presence.

My guess is we have to live the process and don't step away, be prepared when opposing sides see and learn what is happening and attempt to counter it..... with at least a plan.

Over to you guys to add to Mick and Geoff's  system of making a lessor side on paper a better one on the field!

I will start by saying motivation is an issue and by having good backup's like we do this year means we drop/rest players very quickly with a view of everyone fighting for their position...... no point in dropping  very good players to Reserve Grade unless its disciplinary, otherwise rest them, our fully fit forward line up is shaping as awesome!

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Make Parra great again Hector---hahaha

• lets see how this season goes. I am sure there will be many opportunities to comment on how things present themselves..

• 26 opportunities Tad and extras if you take pre season games into account.

We won't get ahead of ourselves and say we will be discussing 3 or 4 finals games yet.

• I said subtlety !!8421221480?profile=RESIZE_584x

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8421221480?profile=RESIZE_584x
  • A winning style us all I am hoping for.

Don't really care if it is ultra defensive or ultra attacking. 

Jack Gibson said get the defence right and the attack will come naturally. (paraphrasing)

• If I could pick one thing that I thought really slowed our play last season was players trying to get a penalty instead of trying to get a quick play the ball. Wobbiling around on the ground instead of up quickly and go. Sadly Sivo was at it all the time. We would not get the penalty most of the time and gave the opersition time to set their line when we had them going backwards. I have been watching the games from last season and it was something that really stuck out. Wrong attitude to have with the 6 again calls and didn't work well against teams like storm, roosters and raiders as their markers were already up and looking down at us flopping around.

• very astute comments Jim..... I always respect what you say!

• Thanks Poppa. I really need these blogs over the off season esspecially now that the team and club are going so well. The off season is too long. I must admit I have watched the 2019 Final against the Bronco's so many times that I pretty much know word for word what the commentators are going to say.

Bring on the 2021 season.

• You have got a good shine on that brown nose today Popps.

Only person you have not agreed with is me - now why would that be do you think?

• I have only read this far, so far......but go back a few posts, I didn't miss you Lol

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

The Badger replied to Mr Analyst loves Rugbah Leeg's discussion A Stag of a Rumour
"Apparently he wants $700K +. Not sure we want a centre at that price."
50 minutes ago
Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Mr Analyst loves Rugbah Leeg's discussion The Bench
"LOL - go back and see the comments abut Jennings when he first came to the Eels - great entertainment."
1 hour ago
Mick replied to Mr Analyst loves Rugbah Leeg's discussion A Stag of a Rumour
"I'm sure Staggs will be at the roosters or south's "
1 hour ago
Tad replied to Mr Analyst loves Rugbah Leeg's discussion A Stag of a Rumour
"great try WMD--I also like Lomax as a centre"
2 hours ago
More…