Style of Football to play

In a discussion at the nursing home on Tuesday Dr Wong, well known surgeon and astute reader of the game of Rugby League and Geoff you know him as Sluggo were discussing the style of football that great teams of the past have played and that this style in particular can win you competitions purely because it is different and can create a capability for not necessarily the best team on paper being the winner.

Examples here would be the stand out teams of the last decade principally Roosters and Melbourne, now the Roosters would in the first instance be more than likely to have the best roster and Melb not, mainly because they have players that just seem to improve exponentially during a season....By the time the finals come around Melb are starting to standout as a real threat....Why ? because they play a type of contact football of keeping it alive!

This discussion came about because we noted that our 2001 side, brilliant, entertaining and breakers of point scoring records  did not have a lot of name players, personally I thought that Brad Drew was the key to the side but the real key was keeping it alive, with all players in motion.....effectively what Melb do and obviously Roosters can be very good at it as well.

Don't really see it with Raiders, Penrith or no other sides come to mind. Stop and think here, when any side is having a "day on" and really wound up for a game,we see more bodies in motion and support play everywhere...... 

The boys said I should put it into Blog and see how the site discusses it and ask the question why some  teams don't seem capable of doing it.

We/NRL have/had many of our coaches go through the Melb Bellamey school but nobody replicates it.....Why....what is so hard about keeping the ball alive and having all our players in motion. How many times are we flat footed in the opposition 25 and we have guys standing around like stale bottles of piss!

This is our challenge, we need our forwards and backs  to all be off loaders .....with the idea of backing up and supporting the ballcarrier and keeping it alive. It used to be called contact football many years ago with teams like Easts 74/75 sides and the great Souths side before that. I looked up Google and can see no reference to "contact" football in the presence.

My guess is we have to live the process and don't step away, be prepared when opposing sides see and learn what is happening and attempt to counter it..... with at least a plan.

Over to you guys to add to Mick and Geoff's  system of making a lessor side on paper a better one on the field!

I will start by saying motivation is an issue and by having good backup's like we do this year means we drop/rest players very quickly with a view of everyone fighting for their position...... no point in dropping  very good players to Reserve Grade unless its disciplinary, otherwise rest them, our fully fit forward line up is shaping as awesome!

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A) DID YOU SEE ANY CAPS LOCKS WITH MY VCOOMENTS YOU DEMENTED OLD FART???????????

HMMMMM, DID YOU?

I have no intentions of being subtle with any one - your 'Arrogant Prick Trophy' is now up for grabs old boy - this is a brand new season - so there.

I do not give a Flying Fig where we finished. if we are still seeing today the same mistakes of yesteryears.

That is all you delusonal morons talk about - we came thrid then ran last going out without a whimper.

We could have finished on top of the table BUT we still collapse (see I didn't say capitualte) when it matters most, and not one of you Brad Arthur defenders will admit NOTHING HAS FUCKING CHANGED !

Failure is not an option and there is no legitimate reason how people like you and colin hussey can defend it.

Here you go, I found these in a Op shop from the halcyon Stephen Kearney days.

8421230900?profile=RESIZE_192X

• LOL you silly Old Bastard, if it means anything I agree you are a bigger prick than me....most probably in all respects .....lol

Karen's nodding, I didn't know you flashed her as well as the dogs.

• Yeah, its quite fun when I turn up to the Nursing Home on Thursday instead of Tuesday.

Now if I can only get your lush of a dog to stop licking my feet all the time.

• What position do you get into to expose the souls of your feet Mushy, just as well you are a mate and I share everything with you.......accept brains .....don't have enough to go round..lol 

• Businessman With His Bare Feet On Top Of A Desk Stock Photo - Download  Image Now - iStock

• Hope you are ok Colin.

• Yes Tad we just have hope we can take the final step .

• Won't be long before some smart arse turns it into a political blog Hector, Don't bother making your bed, you will be back there sooner than you think.

OUR WEBSITE IS CLOSING | Rugby ball, Rugby league, Steeden

• (Photo courtesy Jon McNaughton) "All-American Trump."

• Cartoon funny relaxing man free image

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Sir SuperEel 22 Hail King Arthur's discussion New Signings: Bryce Cartwright
""
4 minutes ago
Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Sir SuperEel 22 Hail King Arthur's discussion New Signings: Bryce Cartwright
"You are a bloody troll Doc - you went back and looked - didn't you.
I did get them all wrong last year. lol"
5 minutes ago
TKBK replied to brissyeel's discussion The Modern Centre
"I've been out to pasture. Happened by, so thought I'd chip in... Thank for even remembering!"
49 minutes ago
Parrapete replied to Mr Analyst loves Rugbah Leeg's discussion New Signing Soon
"That Matt Doorey guy from the dogs who I think people were saying could come here, has re signed with the dogs. Another one to scratch off the list."
53 minutes ago
More…