Storm gun Ryan Papenhuyzen reveals the Eels snubbed him

Storm gun Ryan Papenhuyzen reveals the Eels snubbed him

How different things might have been 🤔

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 14: Ryan Papenhuyzen of the Storm passes the ball during the NRL Qualifying Final match between the Melbourne Storm and the Canberra Raiders at AAMI Park on September 14, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Melbourne Storm sensation Ryan Papenhuyzen is hoping to put in a blistering performance when he meets the Parramatta Eels on Saturday night. 

The 22-year-old fullback who has scored 16 tries for the Storm revealed that the Eels overlooked signing him due to his size, despite representing the Australian touch football team at the age of 17. 

“That is what happened at Parra early on,” he told The Australian

“I remember I was in a touch footy side and playing for Parra. One of the dads was friends with the (Parramatta) recruitment guy and he wanted them to pick me up, but their thing was that I was always too small.

“Although I made a couple of rep sides when I was a kid, there was still that doubt in my mind, when people tell you that you are too small.

“You’ve just got to keep adding to your skill-set and give it a crack and that’s something I’d like to show to all those little blokes out there that get told they are too small, that it’s not over and to just play tough.

“If you play tough there is no reason that they can’t pick you. Generally if you do that then you can make any side.”

Thankfully the Storm saw what he could do on a rugby pitch and signed up the fullback, who has made 39 appearances and has represented Australia in the World Nines tournament. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's cause Parra don't have peptides 

• Well known in RL circles that Gallen gained size at an astonishing rate after being told he was too small by Parra.

maybe asada will pay paps a visit so they don't miss this one.

• Don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn. Everyone knows even storm didn't want to pick him. They had drinkwater ahead of him until he got injured forcing them to go to their next choice.

Anyway... sneaky way to create a "prove them wrong" story in an obvious attempt to move away from the obvious... the pressure is massively on THEM. Stop writing trash.

• Tigers lower grade player also there's more than half a dozen clubs who also snubbed him

• He was sitting behind Tedesco at Tigers. 

• Joey johns never made rep teams, never did tallis.

• who gives a flying fcuk

• Hope the little pu$$y gets rag dolled.

• Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

There are many stories like this if the media dig deep.

Banter to build the rivalry, ratings and ultimately profits.

• We also dismissed Lockyer because he was too small and plenty of other "small" players, so what's the point here?

Scouts and recruiters get it WRONG more times than they get it right, it is a guessing game at best with young teenage players.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Which is why I asked what you consider expensive? Would you say 500k? 600k?
If these players at up to 600k are classy & not expensive, it's a pretty small window reliant on what's available?
Which brings us back to the development angle, and that…"
1 minute ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Yep winger or fullback"
10 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"For sure, as mentioned, 800k & there's no way the Eels will look at him. 600-650k, is possibly a different story. As you mentioned with salary cap, those centres might've been 600k but that was decent coin also.
100% agree though that it all depends…"
23 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I didn't say classy, I said expensive 
2020 I don't believe Chambers was at the Storm, Olam was on his first cheap contract out of the Qcup and Brenko Lee was also cheap 
Latrell and Manu weren't on huge money, not back then. They were still on…"
33 minutes ago
More…