Storm gun Ryan Papenhuyzen reveals the Eels snubbed him

Storm gun Ryan Papenhuyzen reveals the Eels snubbed him

How different things might have been 🤔

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 14: Ryan Papenhuyzen of the Storm passes the ball during the NRL Qualifying Final match between the Melbourne Storm and the Canberra Raiders at AAMI Park on September 14, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Melbourne Storm sensation Ryan Papenhuyzen is hoping to put in a blistering performance when he meets the Parramatta Eels on Saturday night. 

The 22-year-old fullback who has scored 16 tries for the Storm revealed that the Eels overlooked signing him due to his size, despite representing the Australian touch football team at the age of 17. 

“That is what happened at Parra early on,” he told The Australian. 

“I remember I was in a touch footy side and playing for Parra. One of the dads was friends with the (Parramatta) recruitment guy and he wanted them to pick me up, but their thing was that I was always too small.

“Although I made a couple of rep sides when I was a kid, there was still that doubt in my mind, when people tell you that you are too small.

“You’ve just got to keep adding to your skill-set and give it a crack and that’s something I’d like to show to all those little blokes out there that get told they are too small, that it’s not over and to just play tough.

“If you play tough there is no reason that they can’t pick you. Generally if you do that then you can make any side.”

Thankfully the Storm saw what he could do on a rugby pitch and signed up the fullback, who has made 39 appearances and has represented Australia in the World Nines tournament. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

★
★
★
★
★
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Care factor zero - just another attempt to manufacture a story with conflict ahead of the game. 

Whatevs.

• Agree! Its all fairy floss more than likely generated by Bellyache

• This reply was deleted.
    • Absolutely mick , he totally should 

love shaking the cage!!!!

• Who cares, Gutherson is better

• Nothing like rag dolling someone over the sideling to dent their confidence. Is the Cumberland Throw just a penalty?

• Sivo will steamroll him like he did with Tedesco.

• All of which shows that there is unlimited talent out there waiting to be discovered, the notion that there isn’t enough talent for the NRL to expand is just nonsense. 

It also makes the case for NRL clubs to be completely divorced from the pathways system. 

• Only reason he can play is because he has a monster forward pack in front of him, I couldn't see him filling a role in our team he would be another Bevam French. Maybe if we had the Bromwich brothers and big Nelson we could have the luxury to carry a jockey in the backline. 

• he's good and pretty quick about ot

• This reply was deleted.
    • Gallen was too small when he was at Parra. Ask Brian Smith. He'll tell you the same thing.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael W. replied to big 2nd rower's discussion Parramatta Eels sign Zac Lomax for 2025
"I think the NRL have said no to Manu coming back mid season. Pretty sure they also said, if they do allow it, the club would have to pay his full contract value for a full season."
7 minutes ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"Norman was a Stuart signing if anything, one BA inherited. But the rest yeah you are spot on with."
39 minutes ago
Clintorian replied to big 2nd rower's discussion Parramatta Eels sign Zac Lomax for 2025
"The King keeps his fullback spot for sure."
41 minutes ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"BA i think called him on his shit. Apparently they havent spoken since, BA was that pissed off by him. But it was a blessing as it meant we could get Moses. Fast foward 8 years and one is a top 3 Halfback in the game the other is hanging by thread…"
42 minutes ago
More…