Salmon should be 14

As I previously argued https://www.1eyedeel.com/forum/topics/do-we-have-a-premiership-bench the 14 needs to be a replacement for Mahoney. We need to improve our middle defence and that includes reducing Mahoney's workload, which will hopefully also allow him to contribute more to attack. The following players could fill in for Mahoney

1. Stone: thought it could be Stone in my previous blog as he adds a lot with aggressive defence and is quick. However he has not improved his delivery enough. Big improvement over last year but his passing from dummy half is not good enough yet. A recent blog on TCT favoured Stone. I find it hard to see a place for Stone in our team while Nathan Brown is on the field.

2. Rhys Davies. I saw him in the Wenty grand final and recent matches and although he has the skill set as a half he has not impressed me as being first grade quality - yet anyway. But he is a strong defender and maybe could do a good job at dummy half where he is just providing service and not being playmaker.

3. Salmon. I have not seen him pass much but as a five-eighth surely he could provide good service. He is a strong defender and a better attacking runner than Davies. For me it is his experience at the top level where he has been adequate and his superior running game to Davies gets Salmon the 14 spot.

4. Gutherson. No, do not weaken one position even for 15 min to cover another. Did not work for me last year - blunted Guth at fullback having to play 15 min at dummy half.

5. Jai Field. Not being in the 30 rules him out. Also not sure if his defence is up to it. But would be a good impact player running of an offload at tired defences.

I doubt it will be Salmon as he has not been training at dummy half - it has been Davies and Stone according to TCT. But Salmon would be my choice at 14 - to give Mahoney a rest

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• pretty sure we still have that one spot left in the 30 and if Stone doesn't work there we probably need to fill it with a genuine 9.I did think perhaps bringing Field on for the last 10 or 15 at fullback and moving Guth to dummy half would give us a bit of strike against tired defenders but it would depend on how the game is progressing. Where is PJ Marsh when you need him?

• Salmon is bog average and should of been moved on not extended. out of the option provided Stone is the best as atleast he bring aggression and good defence and may improve with the skills given more time plus he can play in the forwards if required.

• I like the sound of stone, he can put a hit on someone has excellent line speed so will lose nothing when reed goes off defensively! The game plan would have to change offensively due to really an unknown service, he will not be able to provide width in his pass (one can assume) that reed can, which means either Moses or brown will have to camp right next to him from the play the balls and gutho will have to push hard into 2nd or 3rd receiver instead of picking his times. The one thing I would teach Stone if it were him is the dummy half scoot, he has decent speed so any quick play the ball pick it up quick and run as hard as you can at the tiring defence line! Out of all those options I see Stone as the best 1st grader there

• It would definitely be Stone if he could get his delivery right. So many passes went astray last year when he slotted in there. Plus he's a little slow on getting it to the first receiver.

Hopefully a preseason of passing has helped.

• I guess whatever BAs plan is it will be trialled in Bega.Running out of time now , hope he has a plan C.

• I think it says a lot about Jai Field when St. George finished second last and he was moved on, meaning he was that bad he couldn't even find a way into that squad.  

• Normally I would agree with you here, but St Merge actually have a couple of good options in the backline coming through the lower grades.

Lomax will be a gun, he takes fullback, Tristian Sailer looks like talent, he'll take wing, Cody Ramsey (best player of the Nines imo) will probably force his way in this year. Field was facing some stiff competition there.

Plus, I don't think Mary knows how to coach or develop creative players, so I think he probably deserves an opportunity.

I think he'll get a crack on the bench halfway through the year when we get some injuries. Other than Blake and Fergo, we don't have much speed in the team.

• Ive said it previously and i still believe we are very light on quality backs / spine replacements. I dont really like any of our reserve graders on last years form. They will all have to step up big time and show improvement if we are to be a top 4 side.  I had this exact argument with someone else on here a couple of weeks back and i heard in one of BA's pressers last week also come out and say that we are very light on quality replacement backs + dummy half. I suspect that Mahoney wont be rested as much as people seem to think during a game. 

• Ideally it would be Salmon, in reality he isn't a first grade quality player in any position. Anywhere you put him on the field the drop off is massive from the guy he replaces.

If we're playing a utility 14 who can play 9  i'd rather Davies at this stage. He is a much better 9 than he is 7.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Grunta the great replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"Yeah good advice!
I'm going with that..."
5 minutes ago
Seth hardy replied to Axel's discussion Brad and Bennett
"For once this is a pretty accurate article for a journo, if we can't beat a second  string Dolphins team handsomely they should all stay in bloody Darwin. No excuses."
11 minutes ago
shane replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"we should win this easy, if not we aren't a top 8 side though we do seem to strugle against teams we should beat easy.
Eels by 14
MOM RCG"
11 minutes ago
Mapik replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"Here's a tip for those who can't make the game when Parra are favourites to win...
Have a bet roughly what you would pay to go to the game and get a few beers and soft drinks for the kids ($50-$100). Back the opposition at the plus (in this case…"
11 minutes ago
More…