Round 1 Huge Test

This game is going to be a massive test to see where the players are at going into 2020.

• Betting agencies have us $1.30, them $3.20
  • The media can't help themselves in saying we have an easy start to the season. Heard it a number of times on Sat night and our players are even being talked up as Super Coach buys coz of our "soft start"
  • Dogs have an absolute point to prove . They want to hit the ground running and show how far they've come from last year . They're already a team that's attitude is up most weeks , it will be even more up round 1.
  • They beat us at Bankwest last year 
  • BA's achilles heal , well one of them , is getting us to play at our best for 80 mins. Both in games where we start as favourite and games where teams are going to take us into the gutter for 80' mins.
  • Last time we started a season with a shit tonne of hype we got rolled and never recovered .

This game will be a massive one to show if the teams mindset has improved at all over the offseason . Round 1 isn't make or break but this is the exact scenerio where the coach and players haven't delivered in his entire time here. I'm hoping our boys don't come out and fire all our shots in the first 20 and then have nothing left which has so often been the case . This is the exact scenario the Dogs love to be in , its going to be a huge test. The media reporting we have a soft start are absolutely kidding themselves and doing us no favours . Bulldogs are a team with a point to prove that is targeting round 1 . 

Attitude and hunger decide so many of these early games when the execution in attack isn't close to spot on. It's an area we've let ourselves down in so many times on these occassions. We're going to have to want it as much as they do. I hope the guys in our team have learnt a lesson in 2018 and aren't targeting this with any less urgency or hunger than the Dogs are becoz those mofos are gonna come in hot . We're going to see signs in round 1 of where this teams mindset is, and I can't wait.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree a huge test. At end of last year dogs seemed to get away with murder in the ruck slowing every game to a standstill and were offside so often I think the refs gave up and let them do anything.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Still can't see the dogs making the eight and i think the roosters will struggle to make the top 4 time will tell

• Mitchell is a big loss for them flanno will struggle a bit this year

• Yes for sure

• Bulldogs have a go especially to the end of last season.  Obtaining CWH from Panthers because of cap space miss management was a blessing for them.  He did not want to leave but has given his all to Dogs. Any team with Lachlan Lewis stirring ship is an asset. Foran not injured with glimpses of old self had them looking very hot towards the end of last season. I watched all their high quality games. Most entertaining team in comp last few weeks. First few games can go ether way clearing cobwebs out. 

• Easy start to the season ( No such a thing ) 

The Eels were the wooden spooners coming into last season. Who knows what teams will produce on the field this season.

• Seriously , if we consider ourselves a top 4 team this year, then we must be able to put a depleated Dogs side away.  We are at Bankwest, at the moment near full strength, have an immortal coaching the play makers, bought more forward firepower, will go close to a full stadium with now over 20,000 members alone.

Agree the Dogs are a bastard of a team that continue to haunt us and beat us when we think we are good things. But seriously we just must win this game.

• We need to play our full squad in the trail match against Penrith this weekend. And make sure we work on our defence in that game, that's where we need to improve this year. Dogs will be hard to beat, I've got them in my top 8 this year.

my top 8 for this year

1: Souths

2: Storm

3: Roosters

4: Eels

5: Manly

6: Raiders

7: Sharks

8: Bulldogs 

cowboys and broncos and Penrith just to miss the 8.

my team for round 1at this stage is

1: C Gutherson

2: M Sivo

3: M Jennings

4: W Blake ( keep hearing he will be ready.

5: B Ferguson 

6: D Brown

7: M Moses

8: Jr Paulo

9: R Mahoney

10: R Campbell Gillard 

11: S Lane

12: R Matterson 

13: N Brown

14: K Evans

15: O Kaufusi 

16: M Nuikore

17: S Utoikimanu / D Alvaro/ R Stone/ B Takarangi/ D Gower/ J Salmon / P Terepo 

depending on injuries and form over this weekend that's my side at the present 

there's about 7 players who can get the number 17 at this stage 

I would probably go with Utoikimanu at this stage 

and have a massive bench 

• Sharks will come near last

• The so called media "experts" that have us as top 4 specials are forgetting, and always do, that history has a funny way of repeating itself. Make no mistake about it, this team is mentally weak and cant handle being favourites, we are in for a huge fight to prove otherwise and that certainly starts with round 1.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"Norman was a Stuart signing if anything, one BA inherited. But the rest yeah you are spot on with."
2 minutes ago
Clintorian replied to big 2nd rower's discussion Parramatta Eels sign Zac Lomax for 2025
"The King keeps his fullback spot for sure."
4 minutes ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"BA i think called him on his shit. Apparently they havent spoken since, BA was that pissed off by him. But it was a blessing as it meant we could get Moses. Fast foward 8 years and one is a top 3 Halfback in the game the other is hanging by thread…"
6 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Muttman's discussion Buzz's Lowlights
"Sorry mate , he was very busy making a lantana bonsai at a housing trust site he's been running behind on. But finally caught him for you. "
15 minutes ago
More…