Replacing Nathan Brown

Whenever the season resumes, we'll be without Nathan Brown for two matches. So who would you pick to replace him?

Peni Terepo: Has been coming off the bench the past few years to play as an extra middle. Hard ball runner, big body in the middle, doesn't possess the ball skills to play Brown's role.

David Gower: The consummate professional. Deceptively strong ball runner, great passing game, good on his feet and a very reliable defender. Isn't the most aggressive player but wouldn't let the side down if called upon.

Marata Niukore: Made his name as an edge backrower and has an ability to play in the middle. Good footwork, hard ball runner, brutal defender. Does have a late offload and is difficult to handle one on one but perhaps hasn't shown he has a good short passing game.

Ray Stone: If Reed Mahoney hasn't recovered by the time the game restarts he may be at hooker. However, if he's available he does possess the workrate and defence to play in the middle. He's also the most aggressive of the options to replace Brown. Haven't seen enough of him to know if he has the ball playing ability to replace Brown.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Stone is generally accepted as heir apparent I think.

No biggy.

Mahoney will be well and truly recovered by the time the circus comes back to town.

• Niukore without a doubt. Maybe Stone on the bench to give some options.

• Agreed Fin, Marata for me then Stone. Terepo IMO makes too many errors like Taka for my liking.

• If I was picking this week id say Terepo would come into the 13.

But who knows how these blokes are going to come back. Some might take longer than 2-3 weeks to get the fitness and strength that is required. We could see a very different line up to what we started the year with.

• I would bring Niukore into edge forward and move Matterson to lock and let him play like the old locks allowed to move around and play like an extra 5/8.

• This is a great idea Shane.

• Agree Shane.

• Problem with that is you reshape the structure of the attack.

• This reply was deleted.
        • I wouldn't move Matterson or Niukore. I think Kaufusi is the man for the job!

If Niukore gets moved to lock it could be another 'Tepai' moment. Moeroa had all the skills in the world and was an outstanding hole-runner coming throught the ranks. He had speed and a great step as well. Sadly, I don't think he received the coaching that he really needed when he made it into the top grade. Then they move him to the middle (out of necessity I concede), make him pack on the kilo's and his career just stalled. That's my take on it anyway.

I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Marata.  

• Problem with that is you reshape the structure of the attack

LOL - yep, changing anything in this team is never going to happen.

Oh shit - do you mean we might catch the opposition unawares? - That's just silly Offenhauser.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
1 hour ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
6 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
7 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
8 hours ago
More…