Parramatta coach Brad Arthur labelled the side's attack "clunky" in their 16-6 trial loss to the Panthers but was not concerned overall leading into round one after a high-intensity contest.

Tries to Panthers halves Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary upstaged the Eels in the pre-season clash that produced a free-flowing game.

The Eels' only try of the match came from a Dylan Edwards error in the air that landed in the hands of Tom Opacic, while they were denied tries on three occasions due to gritty goal-line Panthers defence.

Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown looked sharp for the blue and gold in the opening stages but fell away as the match progressed before Arthur gave the pair an early spell with 15 minutes to go.

"It [the attack] was clunky but they were just tired getting into position," Arthur said.

"It [the trial] was just about making sure there were no injuries and getting some match fitness – get used to the speed of the game because it was fast.

"The speed of the first half they reckoned it was around 95 metres per minute which is pretty high.

"Gutho [Clint Gutherson] was 120 metres per minute in the first 20 minutes so it was very fast.

"I think both teams were real tired at stages and the quality of the shape was off at times but I think that was because of the speed of the game. It's just going to take a bit of getting used to.

"We had a plan to get the players off a lot earlier than we did but I thought they needed the match fitness."

Arthur said his starting 13 was all but settled with Opacic doing enough to earn the vacant right centre spot ahead of their round one clash against the Broncos on March 12.

The make-up of the bench appears to be the only area which Arthur will need to finalise before the season opener.

Eels forward Marata Niukore took part in the trial but is suspended for the first round, while Arthur will need to decide whether to run with a bench utility or four forwards.

"There's probably one or two spots on offer," he said.

"Everyone was just looking to get their second wind and some took longer than others to get it.

"There were some good patches and there were some patches where we've got to get a bit better especially trying to absorb on the back of an error, penalty or six-again."

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• According to the TCT the whole team has been killing it. They were saying similar things in the 2018 preseason. The TCT is not a good gauge of how the eels are going.

• The TCT is the most deluded sporting site on the internet, its the little golden book of RL commentary, interesting more people are seeing it now and couldnt see it before.

Was glancing through LU last night, similar comments from multiple posters about the TCT.

• LOL! If they've decided CARTWRIGHT is our saviour before he's even touched a ball in anger that'll do me.

Until he actually does something - anything - Cartwright is no better than his last game, which would have been a shitfull performance for the Gold Coast, and many, many rubbish performances before that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Cartwight in first grade.

• Lol, its interesting that just about every new arrival that comes to the club, the TCT states how fit they are and how they are leading the tempo at training and killing it.

If thats correct, it says our team is an unfit team and the nuffies coming in unwanted by other clubs are actually fitter than the guys at our club.

Its a big concern.

Our signings this year are bottom of the barrell, BA cant attract x factor players, when the best players and coaches are up for grabs, we are not even in the picture, and happy to put our faith in overrated young blokes whose careers are going nowhere under the coach..

We should have been moving heaven and earth to get a guy like Brandon Smith here, or a coach like Flanno but we are a joke with a real simple kent as a coach.

BAs needs to start being put under massive pressure from the fans and media, the time has come and he deserves it.

• Spot on Snake, TCT is as delusional as Brizzy Eel.  Everything is amazing from our players to our coaching staff when blind Freddy can clearly see that's not the case.

• 4020 goes ok, he has some good stuff, hes trying to keep it real, but 60s and Shelly, god love em, lol.

• Haha, I would rate Cartwright the worst signing of any club in the off season. I reckon last year he was probably one of the worst players in the NRL - uninterested, lazy and generally useless.

Yet he signs with Parra and suddenly people are saying he's the fittest player in the club, if not the game, should have a starting second row spot and will probably represent this year. The reality is he's a dope that's done f all for years and has shown an absolutely shit attitude for seasons.

TCT talk about him as if we have signed the form back rower/utility in the comp.

If he'd signed with any other club everyone would be laughing at that club but instead people are talking him up like he's a marquee player in waiting.

I've never liked Cartwright and won't be changing my opinion until he actually does something. I'm not holding my breath. 

• That would have to be the dumbest response BA has made. The reason for for lack of points is the systym in place are not creating opertunities. BA needs to get better assistants to develope our attack, a better style which creates oppertunities. Really feel we need a better organising half or hooker as that is part of our problem.

• How did you go in the spelling bees in the orf seezun Shane, better assistants may have got you out of the 5th Grade but good coaching may get you into high school.....maybe an organising spelling teacher and a real Hooker could help!

Welcome back mate.

• Go Ba , you would have go to the  Dubbo under 12s competition to find a dumber coach than this fool . The fact BA is in his 8th season as eels coach is a embarrassment to the Club .   

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Tad , he's mollycoddled around these cockheads for years and hasn't called them out and it's got us nowhere . This mindset is why we have a generation of soft weak gutted young  humans in this country today. Maybe they need to be given a…"
14 seconds ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Gutherson was out there giggling and smiling with the opposition post game.  That told me enough. "
9 minutes ago
Muttman replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"I've seen enough other games to be convinced it's not a fitness thing. All these guys are measured on a bunch of fitness metrics. Having said that, I do think our game plan uses too much petrol. It's inefficient.  I was astounded to hear the half…"
9 minutes ago
"Not disagreeing that Arthur's time may be spent. But who the fuck signed such old tired players to such big contracts. 
And we still have them for another season at least.we are stuck with this squad with their  massive contracts with too many years…"
12 minutes ago
More…