Parramatta coach Brad Arthur labelled the side's attack "clunky" in their 16-6 trial loss to the Panthers but was not concerned overall leading into round one after a high-intensity contest.

Tries to Panthers halves Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary upstaged the Eels in the pre-season clash that produced a free-flowing game.

The Eels' only try of the match came from a Dylan Edwards error in the air that landed in the hands of Tom Opacic, while they were denied tries on three occasions due to gritty goal-line Panthers defence.

Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown looked sharp for the blue and gold in the opening stages but fell away as the match progressed before Arthur gave the pair an early spell with 15 minutes to go.

"It [the attack] was clunky but they were just tired getting into position," Arthur said.

"It [the trial] was just about making sure there were no injuries and getting some match fitness – get used to the speed of the game because it was fast.

"The speed of the first half they reckoned it was around 95 metres per minute which is pretty high.

"Gutho [Clint Gutherson] was 120 metres per minute in the first 20 minutes so it was very fast.

"I think both teams were real tired at stages and the quality of the shape was off at times but I think that was because of the speed of the game. It's just going to take a bit of getting used to.

"We had a plan to get the players off a lot earlier than we did but I thought they needed the match fitness."

Arthur said his starting 13 was all but settled with Opacic doing enough to earn the vacant right centre spot ahead of their round one clash against the Broncos on March 12.

The make-up of the bench appears to be the only area which Arthur will need to finalise before the season opener.

Eels forward Marata Niukore took part in the trial but is suspended for the first round, while Arthur will need to decide whether to run with a bench utility or four forwards.

"There's probably one or two spots on offer," he said.

"Everyone was just looking to get their second wind and some took longer than others to get it.

"There were some good patches and there were some patches where we've got to get a bit better especially trying to absorb on the back of an error, penalty or six-again."

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• And the fact that his cap sombrero was huge and he's spent up a storm.

• The guys as dumb as a bag of hammers and to think we have to tolerate another year of his stupidity and cluelessness.

• I like BA and back him as the coach but after seeing the same old garbage rolled out as last year I am starting to lose a bit of faith in him.

• Exactly. I like him as a person and respect what he's done for the club. It's quite obvious he doesn't have it in him to be a top coach. His tactical nous and feel for the game is practically non existent. 

• I still think we should have chased Matt Elliott as an assistant coach for BA.

• I'm not that excited about round 1 against the Broncos after the Eels performance against the Panthers. Unless things change dramtically it's not looking very good. 

• Monts the broncs gave up 5 tries to nill in the second half yesterday, we should have too much class for the spooners 

• I love Reed but we're too predictable from dummy half. A DH in this day of age apart from decent passing must also have a kicking game and pace off the spot for quick dart. I think this is one of our major issues.

• All I can say to everyone is get ready for another long disappointing season BA isn't fit to coach park football let alone a NRL team this is a complete joke.

• This reply was deleted.
      • If you consider them a success that's your opinion I can't object to what you think is a success in my opinion they were disappointing with the roster we had I can assure you under a different coach we would have done a lot more better BA is ruining the careers of the players look at Moses, Brown for example instead of improving as the season goes on they fell back 

to him it was always the players fault he never took the blame for himself his excuses was always (we made some dum decisions in defense or we didn't put the effort in or we didn't try hard enough) he never had a game plan he's only plan is go out and put the effort in.

remember last season he stopped coaching attack for a few weeks and concentrated on defense only what happened? Bennet the master dismantled our defense with his master piece coaching plan and humiliated us .

we all here love the eels and want to see them succeed and win that elusive premiership which in my opinion its not going to happen under BA reign.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"LB you probs correct on two Coaches getting maturity from Lomax, it was all in his mannerism last night. I do wonder the noise from Parra if Gutho went to Wing... for the betterment of the Team? Would he bleet 🐏 so much? "
2 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If Tago does stay at centre then it does coincide with them having a budget 6 but I still think the plan will be to move him"
35 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"500k for May is well worth it. Penrith know what they'll get from him every week but Lomax is inconsistent, right now he's playing his best football because he's advertising himself to other clubs. When his attitude is down his game can be  poor.…"
50 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
2 hours ago
More…