Reed Mahoney's Doubts about Bulldogs

What have I done?': Bulldogs recruit Reed Mahoney reveals startling mid-season regret

After signing with the Bulldogs some 12 months in advance, former Eel Reed Mahoney admitted he was getting cold feet, and even reached out to Panther Stephen Crichton as the Eels made the 2022 Grand Final.

New Bulldogs recruit Reed Mahoney has admitted he was having doubts about his off-season move as the Eels marched towards the NRL grand final.

Mahoney rejected a three-year extension with the Eels to pen a four-year, $650,000-a-season contract with the Bulldogs in late-2021.

He will co-captain the side in 2023, alongside star half Matt Burton.

Mahoney said his parents were in tears when he called them with the news he would be leading the side.

"I didn't really know what to say; Mum and dad were in tears and super proud of me."

Burton in early January signed a massive five-year extension to stay at Belmore. He told Nine he was never looking to go elsewhere, despite his player agent David Riolo fielding interest from the 

"As soon as they wanted to lock me down, I didn't even bother looking," he said.

"I told my manager, 'this is where I want to be, this is home for me'."

The Bulldogs play the Raiders in the first of two trial matches in Moruya on February 12, and then the Sharks at Belmore the following weekend.

They take on the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval in round one.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Who gives a shit. ..This a bulldogs story.

• Don't you love how players keep quiet during negotiations while their managers publicise how many clubs they're talking to. Then once they sign the big contract,  come out and say 'I was never looking to go elsewhere' LOL $$ 

• Just shows the power Gus has 

• Mahoney is an arrogant turd he was always going to go to the 1st team that kissed his Arse.

Good riddance 

• The story really is neither here or there....whats the point you are trying ti make Monts?

• I'm trying to give us old farts something to read in the off season

• That's Mister Old Fart to you....Lol

• Eels 32

Dogs 12

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We'll just been watching Matty John's Late, Hindy n Fletch interviewing Dragons - Lawrie, Lomax n Coach son, gotta say Lawrie n Lomax complete fuckwits. Coach son was pretty cool but other two prime nobs
Dragons can keep Lomax cause we have a No…"
20 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Which is why I asked what you consider expensive? Would you say 500k? 600k?
If these players at up to 600k are classy & not expensive, it's a pretty small window reliant on what's available?
Which brings us back to the development angle, and that…"
28 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Yep winger or fullback"
37 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"For sure, as mentioned, 800k & there's no way the Eels will look at him. 600-650k, is possibly a different story. As you mentioned with salary cap, those centres might've been 600k but that was decent coin also.
100% agree though that it all depends…"
49 minutes ago
More…