Triple M's League insider Brent Read has revealed the Parramatta Eels are set to extend the contracts of two key players.

"Parramatta initially only offered him (Michael Jennings) the one-year but it looks like he'll get the two years he wants at Parramatta," Ready told Triple M Saturday NRL. 

"Brad Takairangi is another guy who is off-contract at the end of this year and it looks like he will sign a new deal there as well. 

"A couple of big signings for the Eels as they head towards the finals." 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BINGO 

• Takairangi is the only player who's been here since 2015 to have won more than half his games.

• It comes down to how much they are being paid and I would think it would be significantly less than their last contracts.

Both (Jennings in particular) offer great experience in a backline that still boasts alot of youth (jeez - all of a sudden our backline looks very big, very skillfull and very fast - how good is it?).

The Roosters have a Morris, The Sharkies have a Morris, Jennings can be that valuable experience for us and his form has been good. 

Taka will surely be depth - realistically he probably wouldn't make the top 17 right now if Fergie was it.  

• Kman the difference would be that the other two clubs would not be paying a fortune , if the club only wanted to sign him for a year and Jennings got the the 2 year deal je wanted then no doubt he got the money he wanted . 

The eels don't dictate to players what they will get , players dictate to the club whar they want,  Gutho eventually got the $750k a year and extra season he wanted because the club buckled to the player's demands .

• Extra years keep the price down Fong. This new crew won't buckle. They've proved that by Gutherson only getting three years when he wanted four.

• Yeah I'd like to know what they're paying. I was impressed when they dropped off Welch and Ramian. In the past they would have paid Welch several hundred thousand to sit on the sidelines for a year and offered the world to Ramian even though in reality he's done nothing and there must be major concerns about why the Knights just let him walk mid season.

Shaun Lane, Fergo and Junior have restored my faith in their ability to add value to the side.

I thought Lane was a great signing but must admit I thought Fergo and Junior were duds which simply confirms that, in reality, I know fuck all about recruitment :))

• Kram, I now walk around with a spoon in my back pocket, whenever I think about our backline, the spoon is needed. How good is it? We have the most imposing backline in the comp and the media are blind to it.

Come round 25, I don't think we will flying under radar.

Jennings won’t be signed for anything near his previous contract, 700K over two years is what I hope the club is offering.

• Same Joe, how do the nuffs in the media not look at the backs we have realize that we have the ability to score as many points as anyone in the comp.

• Agree Kram, but I actually like the fact that we are under the radar. I'm still not happy with our attack but Moses is coming along nicely, and once Dylan finds his feet it will only improve. Looking forward to having Fergo, back, and Jnr, we really missed his go forward this week. 

• Jennings has had a strong year IMO, but the key thing is - who else is out there? I do believe we were looking at Ramien but the market for him seems to be too hot.  There is simply no better option than Jennings. I'd prefer one-year but if its not on stupid money, two years gives us a solid timeline and we can start looking a fair way out. I think Taikarangi is a no-brainer option. He genuinely seems to love the club - I don't think he's hung up on being a guaranteed Top 17 player and he gives you a stack of cover across the park. Again, based on what other options are out there. There is no point going into next year with 2 million left on the cap and nobody to spend it on. We have a strong backline, so we don't need to put more dollars there - need to really focus on adding a rep second rower in my opinion.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

CarloEEL2 replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"He flipped flopped around responsibility too - theirs/ his .....
I totally disagreed with his starting comments around " form being temporary " in the NRL 
wtf - ? Not in the champion teams it's not !!!
I thought that mindset was very telling ...."
10 minutes ago
LB replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"I wonder if we keep it respectful as a sense of pride? Or do they give up again in second half. A respectful loss should definately keep BA on hot seat but doubt it will that much."
12 minutes ago
Electric Eel 2 replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Would you two just get a room ffs!"
22 minutes ago
Muttman replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Thanks HOE. Outstanding work as always. Appreciate the work you put in.  A mate asked me if I'd go with him to Brookie to watch this game (he's a Manly fan). I said as much as I'd enjoy his company I'd rather use a grater on my nuts and dip them in…"
22 minutes ago
More…